    good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going down there's no
    good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest of the world is
    going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

    Greg, Oct 25, 2005

  2. > introduce Voip but our DP manager is saying that because we already have a
    > good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going down there's no
    > good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest of the world is
    > going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

    We're in a similar situation being in the situation of moving into a new
    building. I'll let you know if I find any really compelling advantages apart
    from the fact that we bought an ageing PBX system five years ago and want,
    from a company profile point of view, to keep up to date with technology.

    I hoped that wireless VIOL was at such a stage where there would be a price
    advantage to going wireless compared to wiring up then new building with
    CAT-5 cables, which isn't cheap and is inflexible. We'll be going with
    wireless LAN but it'll be disappointing to have to still put CAT-5 cables in
    just for the telephone system. But as I've found, wireless handsets aren't
    cheap.

    It's a complex business case to work out the costs that we might be able to
    save using internet telephony for example when people are working from home.
    We use Citrix/Terminal Services as our main desktop system and this has
    incredible hot-desking and home-working capabilities when teamed with a
    broadband. It seems completely daft that the user is unable to configure
    then phone remotely (i.e. call foward it) and that call-forward when working
    from home costs us more money (the call forward effectively incurs a work to
    home call).

    A lot of the advantages may be subtle and will take a while to become
    obvious.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Greg

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:20:44 +0100, "Greg" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I work for a company which has 40+ offices around the world. We have a
    >traditional "data network" with hubs in two centres. We have a fairly modern
    >PABX system which allows us to short dial to the other offices using a bit
    >of the data network. We're just about to completely re-vamp the data network
    >because we need more capacity. It would seem to me a good opportunity to
    >introduce Voip but our DP manager is saying that because we already have a
    >good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going down there's no
    >good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest of the world is
    >going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

    There's no easy answer to that. Companies like yours will only be
    interesting in one thing - how much money it would save them.

    Someone is going to have to do a proper analysis of where your
    international calls are going and how much they are costing. Then find
    out how much you will need to invest to carry those calls over your
    own network, and how much expansion of the network capacity will be
    required for that. You can then see if its worth doing, and what the
    payback time will be on your investment.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Oct 25, 2005
  4. Greg

    Ian Guest

    Hi Greg if what I read is correct you are allready combining your voice and
    data.

    > We have a fairly modern
    > PABX system which allows us to short dial to the other offices using a bit
    > of the data network. We're just about to completely re-vamp the data

    network
    > because we need more capacity.

    >It would seem to me a good opportunity to introduce Voip

    It sounds likes you are already muxing it now

    >but our DP manager is >saying that because we already have a
    > good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going down there's no
    > good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest of the world is
    > going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

    Not realy , Its down to a cost comparison. If your inter office spending is
    more than the cost of implementation over a defined time then may be. But to
    try and save on international voice calls its a yes, no answer depending on
    the destination but more than likely its a no.

    Ian

    Ian, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Greg

    RH Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I work for a company which has 40+ offices around the world. We have a
    > traditional "data network" with hubs in two centres. We have a fairly
    > modern PABX system which allows us to short dial to the other offices
    > using a bit of the data network. We're just about to completely re-vamp
    > the data network because we need more capacity. It would seem to me a good
    > opportunity to introduce Voip but our DP manager is saying that because we
    > already have a good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going
    > down there's no good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest
    > of the world is going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

    Some of the benefits are not related to VOIP directly but the side effects
    of having a modern IP PBX

    With higher end phnes you can have a central xml address box, or even phone
    from outlook contacts
    Advanced configuration of queues and ring groupsand divertions
    more flexible voicemail configs (send via email)
    ability to work from home without seperate phone lines

    A lot of this can be done with existing PBX system, but if your using a
    fairly old system the added functionality that using something like asterisk
    can give you is amazing

    RH, Oct 27, 2005