    you for user name and password, but it gives you an option of remember
    password. but the problem it does not remember the next time i boot
    my system. any idea?
    lbbss, Feb 15, 2008

  2. lbbss

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Re: Why Vista keep forgetting password shared network? remember checked off.

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > My wife and I share files files on through our router. So it asked
    > you for user name and password, but it gives you an option of remember
    > password. but the problem it does not remember the next time i boot
    > my system. any idea?

    You put your account/with password on your wife's machine, your account and
    password that you use to login to your machine. Your wife does the same
    thing to your machine with here user-id and password. You set the *password
    never expires* for both accounts. You do that, and you won't even see the
    logon screen, when one of you tries to access the other's file share.
    Mr. Arnold, Feb 15, 2008

  3. lbbss

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > My wife and I share files files on through our router. So it asked
    > you for user name and password, but it gives you an option of remember
    > password. but the problem it does not remember the next time i boot
    > my system. any idea?

    Also take note on the Authenticated User group on a share, which means you
    remove all other accounts off the share and only use the Authenticated User
    group. It talks about it in the File Share section of the article.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301281

    And why you should do it in this article.

    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/23581/23581.html

    And if you follow the advise on putting your user account on your wife's
    machine and she does the same on your machine, then those accounts will be
    viewed as Authenticated users, since the O/S can authenticate agents the
    accounts on the machine.
    Mr. Arnold, Feb 15, 2008
  4. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Why Vista keep forgetting password shared network? rememberchecked off.

    where do you check off password never expires? Right now I use win
    explorer and click on folder to share, and pick share. Then under
    share tab, click on share this folder. So on the other computer,
    use explorer and select network places, where I find my wifes computer
    name. And here I type in a user name and password.
    lbbss, Feb 16, 2008
  5. lbbss

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > where do you check off password never expires? Right now I use win
    > explorer and click on folder to share, and pick share. Then under
    > share tab, click on share this folder. So on the other computer,
    > use explorer and select network places, where I find my wifes computer
    > name. And here I type in a user name and password.

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+set+password+never+expires+on+Vista&btnG=Google+Search>

    You go to you wife's machine and set the password for her account on her
    machine to *password never expires*. I don't no if your wife's machine is
    using Vista or not. If it's not, then use Google based on her Windows O/S
    version and set it. And you do the same for the Vista if you're using Vista
    for your account.

    Again, if you create/set-up your wife's user-id and password on your
    computer, the same user-id and password that she uses to logon to her
    computer, you go to her machine and you create/setup your user-id and
    password, the same user-id and password you use to login to your machine,
    then when you access each other's machine, the user-id and password will
    NEVER be asked for when each of you accesses the other's machine, because
    you have the necessary accounts setup/created on both machines for the
    O/S(s) being used on both machines to NEVER ask for the user-id and
    password.

    You would set the accounts up on both machines, set the password for the new
    accounts to *never expires* for the new accounts and for the existing
    accounts that you have created for yourselves on both of your computers. All
    accounts that I am talking to you about will have the same user-id's and
    passwords with the password set for all accounts to *never expires*, which
    must be done through Admin's User Account Administration.

    I hope you understand what you have to do in order for you to set-up both
    computers, so that user-id and password is NEVER asked when you both try to
    access the other's computer when using the file share on both machines.

    Basically, you have each other's user-id and password set-up on both
    machines so they you don't get asked to provide the user-id and password to
    logon to the other's machine, as the computers already know what they are.

    Don't forget Authenticated User Group of Shares, which is being explained in
    this link as well, but it's about XP, but the Authenticated user group is on
    Vista along with the Everyone user group and it applies to Vista too.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    Mr. Arnold, Feb 16, 2008