    * @@@ * shouldn't my laptop be lighter?
    *@@*
    -\*
    Bill Sheppard, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Bill Sheppard <> wrote in
    news:jD8Tc.7345$:

    > I've got a Pentax Optio S which I like very much, but I get a high
    > percentage of photos which are out-of-focus (maybe 20-25%). It dawned
    > on me that perhaps I'm trying to outsmart the camera. My old camera,
    > a Fuji MX-700, focused on the center, so I'm used to pointing where I
    > want to focus, pressing the shutter button halfway, then reframing the
    > picture. Since the Optio has multi-spot focus am I working against
    > the system? Or would I get better results by turning off the
    > multi-spot focus and doing it how I'm used to?

    Multi spot focus is overrated IMHO.
    If you do as you do it is better to turn it off.

    The idea with multi spot focus is to get more information
    when you dont point the camera at the thing to focus at.
    It is a higher chance that one out of 5 focus points hits
    something interesting than just one do so. It is doubtful
    that this improvement is for real though.

    But --- don't be surprised if you still get some pictures
    out of focus. Consumer digital cameras are not good
    at focussing.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Bill Sheppard <> writes:
    >I've got a Pentax Optio S which I like very much, but I get a high percentage
    >of photos which are out-of-focus (maybe 20-25%). It dawned on me that perhaps
    >I'm trying to outsmart the camera. My old camera, a Fuji MX-700, focused on
    >the center, so I'm used to pointing where I want to focus, pressing the
    >shutter button halfway, then reframing the picture. Since the Optio has
    >multi-spot focus am I working against the system? Or would I get better
    >results by turning off the multi-spot focus and doing it how I'm used to?

    Multi-point focus is for people who are incapable of doing anything
    other than "point and shoot". If the main subject is somewhat
    off-centre, the multi-point focus is more likely to find it.

    But if you're clever enough to put the main subject in the centre of the
    frame, half-press to focus, and then re-aim for composition, the
    multi-point focus is a liability. Just turn it off, and then you'll
    know what the camera is focusing on. It's disabled on all my cameras.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Aug 14, 2004