    understanding correct?

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, May 4, 2004

  2. Jay Chan wrote:
    > I am wondering what is the benefit of using a high speed compact flash
    > memeory card, such as a x40 card.
    >
    > Does a high speed card allow the camera to be quickly ready for taking
    > the next picture? But this doesn't import the shutter speed. Is my
    > understanding correct?

    Yes, basically the memory card speed controls how quickly your last
    photo is stored on the card. That said, there is a limit to how
    fast a particular camera can store the photo, so in some cases a 40x
    card is not be any faster than a 12x card - it really depends on the
    camera and card.

    Personally, if I went to the store to buy a CF card and saw a 20x
    card for $40 and a 40x card for $45, I'd buy the faster card even
    if my current camera couldn't take full advantage of it...

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products mike at easysw dot com
    Printing Software for UNIX http://www.easysw.com

    Michael Sweet, May 4, 2004

  3. Jay Chan

    Jay Chan Guest

    > Yes, basically the memory card speed controls how quickly your last
    > photo is stored on the card. That said, there is a limit to how
    > fast a particular camera can store the photo, so in some cases a 40x
    > card is not be any faster than a 12x card - it really depends on the
    > camera and card.

    Seem like if I want to take many pictures quickly, I need a high speed
    memory card (provided that the camera can save that quick). In my
    case, I take pictures slowly -- one at a time. I should have spent the
    money on a camera that has fast shutter speed instead of on a high
    speed memory card. Of course, I have already bought the camera;
    therefore, I will have to live with it, and try to learn the trick to
    get it to take a picture faster. Oh well...

    > Personally, if I went to the store to buy a CF card and saw a 20x
    > card for $40 and a 40x card for $45, I'd buy the faster card even
    > if my current camera couldn't take full advantage of it...

    I can see your point. If the price difference is small, I may choose
    to do the same thing. Even if I may not be able to take advantage of
    the high speed when I am taking pictures (because I am slow), I will
    still be able to use the high speed when I use the memory card for
    non-camera use.

    Thanks.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, May 5, 2004
  4. Jay Chan

    Guest

    Jay Chan <> wrote:
    > I am wondering what is the benefit of using a high speed compact flash
    > memeory card, such as a x40 card.

    > Does a high speed card allow the camera to be quickly ready for taking
    > the next picture? But this doesn't import the shutter speed. Is my
    > understanding correct?

    The key benefit to a faster memory card is faster downloads. If you
    don't need to download your images fast, then don't spend money on
    the faster cards.

    , May 11, 2004
  5. Jay Chan

    Dud & Barb Guest

    <> wrote in message news:c7peo1$vub$...
    > Jay Chan <> wrote:
    > > I am wondering what is the benefit of using a high speed compact flash
    > > memeory card, such as a x40 card.

    > > Does a high speed card allow the camera to be quickly ready for taking
    > > the next picture? But this doesn't import the shutter speed. Is my
    > > understanding correct?

    > The key benefit to a faster memory card is faster downloads. If you
    > don't need to download your images fast, then don't spend money on
    > the faster cards.

    My understanding (when I bought my x40 card) is this also will speed up the
    reading process to the card. I'm not too familiar yet with digital, but I'm
    glad I spent the money for a faster card. Example: when I shoot in Canon
    RAW (an 18.0 MB file), it writes to the card in about 1-2 seconds - max.
    This is needed when photographing subjects that don't stay very static.
    Hope this helps.

    Dud & Barb, May 11, 2004
  6. Jay Chan

    Jay Chan Guest

    > The key benefit to a faster memory card is faster downloads. If you
    > don't need to download your images fast, then don't spend money on
    > the faster cards.

    Thanks for pointing this out. My x4 memory card is fast enough for me
    already when I download pictures from it. The download speed was very
    slow when I was using a USB 1.x card reader. The download goes MUCH
    faster as soon as I start using a USB-2 card read. Obviously the
    bottleneck is the card reader and is not the card itself. I will save
    my money and get a cheap one if the price difference between a fast
    one and a slow one is not small.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, May 11, 2004
  7. Jay Chan

    Scott K Guest

    Well I chose a Sandisk Ultra 512Mg 40x for my Canon DiGIC-based G3
    because the spec said that a higher speed card was necessary for
    movie mode.

    Just how fast it didn't say, but at the time the 40x was the fastest
    that I could afford, and it has proved to be good enough.

    -Scott.

    Scott K, May 12, 2004