    So, my question is... is there any reason to hook my computer directly to my
    Nikon D70 via a USB cable?

    Thanks

    john, Jul 20, 2004

  2. john

    Douglas Guest

    I always use a card reader.I do format the cards in my D70s.Why take a
    chance on knocking a $1300+ camera on the floor,when card readers are $15?

    Douglas, Jul 20, 2004

  3. john

    G.T. Guest

    john wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This may be an incredibly stupid question... but here goes...
    >
    > I have a USB card reader for my computer (it came with my 1GB Lexar card). I
    > use this to copy my photos from the card to my hard drive.
    >
    > So, my question is... is there any reason to hook my computer directly to my
    > Nikon D70 via a USB cable?

    For reading data? No.

    I assume you can control a D70 from a computer so if you wanted to do
    that then, yes, there's a reason for you.

    Greg
    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives
    Before it is too late

    G.T., Jul 20, 2004
  4. john

    I hate spam Guest

    The camera USB might save any damage to the pins of the camera's CF card
    connector.

    The more you remove/replace, the more risk is taken as well as the more
    wear & tear on the pins.

    Having said that, I use a card reader too, just in case I knock the camera
    over !

    I hate spam, Jul 20, 2004
  5. john

    Matt Ion Guest

    "john" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This may be an incredibly stupid question... but here goes...
    >
    > I have a USB card reader for my computer (it came with my 1GB Lexar card).

    > use this to copy my photos from the card to my hard drive.
    >
    > So, my question is... is there any reason to hook my computer directly to

    my
    > Nikon D70 via a USB cable?

    If you're using someone else's computer and don't have your cardreader
    along, maybe.

    Matt Ion, Jul 20, 2004
  6. john

    Bob Williams Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > "john" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi folks,
    >>
    >>This may be an incredibly stupid question... but here goes...
    >>
    >>I have a USB card reader for my computer (it came with my 1GB Lexar card).

    >>use this to copy my photos from the card to my hard drive.
    >>
    >>So, my question is... is there any reason to hook my computer directly to

    > my
    >
    >>Nikon D70 via a USB cable?

    > If you're using someone else's computer and don't have your cardreader
    > along, maybe.

    If you are using someone else's computer you couldn't download from the
    camera either :-(

    I never could understand why anyone would want to download from their
    camera. (To save $15??) Especially now that USB 2 Card readers are
    available.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 20, 2004
  7. john

    adm Guest

    "john" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This may be an incredibly stupid question... but here goes...
    >
    > I have a USB card reader for my computer (it came with my 1GB Lexar card).

    > use this to copy my photos from the card to my hard drive.
    >
    > So, my question is... is there any reason to hook my computer directly to

    my
    > Nikon D70 via a USB cable?

    Not really. You'll get just the same or faster transfer speed by putting the
    CF card into a reader than connecting the camera via USB. Plus, you won't
    drain the camera batteries.

    The only reason I use the USB is if I want to use the camera in "tethered"
    mode for time lapse or similar uses.

    adm, Jul 20, 2004
  8. >>>>> "adm" == adm <> writes:

    adm> "john" <> wrote in message
    adm> news:dZ0Lc.63725$ek5.28718@pd7tw2no...
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> This may be an incredibly stupid question... but here goes...
    >>
    >> I have a USB card reader for my computer (it came with my 1GB
    >> Lexar card).

    adm> I
    >> use this to copy my photos from the card to my hard drive.
    >>
    >> So, my question is... is there any reason to hook my computer
    >> directly to

    adm> my
    >> Nikon D70 via a USB cable?

    adm> Not really. You'll get just the same or faster transfer speed by
    adm> putting the CF card into a reader than connecting the camera via
    adm> USB. Plus, you won't drain the camera batteries.

    adm> The only reason I use the USB is if I want to use the camera in
    adm> "tethered" mode for time lapse or similar uses.

    If your USB CARD reader is broken or you lost it. ;-). Then that would
    be a good reason to download direct from camera.

    Whatever works best is the key.

    Post Replies Here Please, Jul 20, 2004
  9. "I hate spam" <> writes:

    > The camera USB might save any damage to the pins of the camera's CF card
    > connector.

    That assumes you only have one memory card. Once you have more than one card,
    then it becomes more convenient to use a card reader, since you already have
    the memory removed.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jul 20, 2004
  10. "Michael Meissner" <> wrote in message
    > "I hate spam" <> writes:
    >
    > > The camera USB might save any damage to the pins of the camera's CF card
    > > connector.

    > That assumes you only have one memory card. Once you have more than one

    card,
    > then it becomes more convenient to use a card reader, since you already

    have
    > the memory removed.

    I only have one memory card - I very rarely fill up the card before being
    able to download my pictures to my PC - so using the camera's built-in USB
    port is certainly the easiest solution: it's less hassle than removing the
    card to put it into an external card reader. It's a shame that digital
    cameras have been very slow to adopt USB 2: even my Minolta A1, only a few
    months old, is fitted with a USB 1.1 rather USB 2 port.

    The difference in transfer rate between USB 1.1 and USB 2 is phenominal: in
    theory, it's 40 times faster. So it's worth the extra hassle of taking the
    card out of my camera to put it into my Dazzle card reader.

    Even more infuriating: why can't all cameras standardise on the same USB
    socket so you can buy a generic USB cable rather than having to buy a
    proprietary one for your own camera. Yes, it needs to be smaller than the
    normal square USB socket that you get on a peripheral such as a printer or a
    scanner, but that's no reason for every device to have a different socket.

    Martin Underwood, Jul 20, 2004
  11. john

    Skroob Guest

    "Martin Underwood" <> wrote in message
    > "Michael Meissner" <> wrote in message
    > > "I hate spam" <> writes:

    > Even more infuriating: why can't all cameras standardise on the same USB
    > socket so you can buy a generic USB cable rather than having to buy a
    > proprietary one for your own camera. Yes, it needs to be smaller than the
    > normal square USB socket that you get on a peripheral such as a printer or

    > scanner, but that's no reason for every device to have a different socket.

    There's plenty of reason. So Sony (Canon, etc) can get $25 from you for a
    replacement cable instead of going to Brand-X with $5 for a generic cable.

    ;)

    Skroob, Jul 20, 2004
  12. john

    chris French Guest

    In message <40fca4a1$>, I hate spam
    <> writes
    >The camera USB might save any damage to the pins of the camera's CF card
    >connector.
    >
    >The more you remove/replace, the more risk is taken as well as the more
    >wear & tear on the pins.

    My previous camera suffered wear and tear on the USB socket from
    repeated use. It would loss the connection with the computer if it was
    moved -even just very slightly.
    --
    Chris French

    chris French, Jul 20, 2004
  13. john

    adm Guest

    > I only have one memory card - I very rarely fill up the card before being
    > able to download my pictures to my PC - so using the camera's built-in USB
    > port is certainly the easiest solution: it's less hassle than removing the
    > card to put it into an external card reader.

    I find it easier to just pop the card and stick it into the card reader on
    my printer rather than find the cable in the drawer (amongst loads of other
    proprietary, black mini-USB cables) and bend down to plug it into the USB
    port on the front of the PC.

    > It's a shame that digital
    > cameras have been very slow to adopt USB 2: even my Minolta A1, only a few
    > months old, is fitted with a USB 1.1 rather USB 2 port.

    Agree - almost. I'd prefer it if all cameras had standardised on FireWire
    myself (as then I could use the same cable as my video camera), but there
    you go....

    > The difference in transfer rate between USB 1.1 and USB 2 is phenominal:

    in
    > theory, it's 40 times faster. So it's worth the extra hassle of taking the
    > card out of my camera to put it into my Dazzle card reader.
    >
    > Even more infuriating: why can't all cameras standardise on the same USB
    > socket so you can buy a generic USB cable rather than having to buy a
    > proprietary one for your own camera. Yes, it needs to be smaller than the
    > normal square USB socket that you get on a peripheral

    The 4 pin mini Firewire connectors are nice and small too.

    adm, Jul 20, 2004
  14. "Skroob" <> wrote in message

    > "Martin Underwood" <> wrote in message
    > > "Michael Meissner" <> wrote in message
    > > > "I hate spam" <> writes:

    > > Even more infuriating: why can't all cameras standardise on the same USB
    > > socket so you can buy a generic USB cable rather than having to buy a
    > > proprietary one for your own camera. Yes, it needs to be smaller than

    the
    > > normal square USB socket that you get on a peripheral such as a printer

    or
    > > scanner, but that's no reason for every device to have a different

    socket.

    > There's plenty of reason. So Sony (Canon, etc) can get $25 from you for a
    > replacement cable instead of going to Brand-X with $5 for a generic cable.
    >
    > ;)

    Being a paid-up member of Cynics-R-Us, that thought had occurred to me as
    well. I suppose we should be thankful that cameras use standard memory cards
    and not proprietary ones that would require us to buy the manufacturer's own
    card reader ;-)

    Martin Underwood, Jul 20, 2004
  15. john

    larrylook Guest

    "I hate spam" <> wrote in message
    > The camera USB might save any damage to the pins of the camera's CF card
    > connector.
    >
    > The more you remove/replace, the more risk is taken as well as the more
    > wear & tear on the pins.
    >
    > Having said that, I use a card reader too, just in case I knock the camera
    > over !

    I once knocked over my old olympus digicam, while rushing to do something.
    It hit the floor - but still worked fine. Now with my Nikon I use the card
    reader. I agree with you that having the camera plugged into the computer
    can be risk if your rushing, so using the reader could reduce risk of
    dropping an expensive camera.

    larrylook, Jul 20, 2004
  16. "john" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > This may be an incredibly stupid question... but here goes...
    >
    > I have a USB card reader for my computer (it came with my 1GB Lexar card).

    > use this to copy my photos from the card to my hard drive.
    >
    > So, my question is... is there any reason to hook my computer directly to

    my
    > Nikon D70 via a USB cable?

    Doesn't it have remote capture via USB like the Canon low-end DSLR?

    this old user, Jul 20, 2004
  17. john

    Guy Scharf Guest

    "john" <> wrote:

    > So, my question is... is there any reason to hook my computer
    > directly to my Nikon D70 via a USB cable?

    The most useful reason for connecting the D70 to your computer via USB
    is to a) upload custom curves to the camera or b) control camera
    operation from your computer. It's not too useful to use the USB
    connection to download images from your card. The D70 USB, while it
    uses USB 2.0 interface specs, operates at USB 1.1 speeds. In other
    words, file transfers are slow. Download speeds will be far, far
    faster if you have a High Speed USB 2.0 card reader and USB 2.0 on your
    computer.

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Jul 21, 2004