Why Unable to establish 'Wireless' on XP with SP3?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MapleE., Oct 29, 2009.

  1. MapleE.

    MapleE. Guest

    Hi:
    I got a new PC with XP with SP3.

    I attempted to establish Wireless/Comcast by having un-plugged 'Netgear'
    from an old PC with XP/ SP1 to a brand new PC with XP/SP3. I tried it by
    accessing 'Wireless Network Setting' on Control Panel, however I'm NOT able
    to establish 'Wireless' connection by using Netgear which was used on an old
    PC. In the meantime, I can easily established a connection/Comcast by using
    a long cable, ...' Wired.'

    I want 'Wireless' connection by using Netgear, ... not a long Cable, 'Wired'
    connection.

    My question is;
    Is there any way for me to establish 'Wireless' connection by using
    'Netgear' which was used by an old PC?

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    MapleE., Oct 29, 2009

  2. MapleE.

    Daddy Guest

    Although it's not a requirement, you increase your chances of success by
    using a network client that is recommended for your router.

    Contact the manufacturer of your router and find out which network client(s)
    they recommend for your model of router.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Oct 29, 2009

  3. Hi
    Netgear is a name of a company Not a name of a specific Wireless Client
    card.
    May you want to clarify what are you using as a Wireless source, Wireless
    Client, and how the system is configured.
    In general.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Oct 30, 2009
  4. MapleE.

    MapleE. Guest

    Thanks both for the responses.

    Jack, MVP-Networking:
    The PC is NOT equipped with wireless. It's economical and same as an older
    type of PC, because I purchased it as a 'back-up/spare' PC.

    The Netgear that is similar to flash-drive was connected with USB-cable and
    was originally installed by Comcast technician.

    Knowing this, it's more likely I need to call asking for a proper
    installtion to the brand new PC?

    Because, after all, I hate to screw it up. I'm no way an expert to do that
    job.

    MapleE., Oct 30, 2009
  5. MapleE.

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 30, 1:35 am, "MapleE." <> wrote:
    > Thanks both for the responses.
    >
    > Jack, MVP-Networking:
    > The PC is NOT equipped with wireless.  It's economical and same as an older
    > type of PC, because I purchased it as a 'back-up/spare' PC.
    >
    > The Netgear that is similar to flash-drive was connected with USB-cable and
    > was originally installed by Comcast technician.
    >
    > Knowing this, it's more likely I need to call asking for a proper
    > installtion to the brand new PC?
    >
    > Because, after all, I hate to screw it up.  I'm no way an expert to do that
    > job.
    >
    > "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi
    > > Netgear is a name of a company Not a name of a specific Wireless Client
    > > card.
    > > May you want to clarify what are you using as a Wireless source, Wireless
    > > Client, and how the system is configured.
    > > In general.
    > > My  Wireless does not work -http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > > Wireless Basic Configuration -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > > Wireless Security -  http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    > > "MapleE." <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi:
    > >> I got a new PC with XP with SP3.

    > >> I attempted to establish Wireless/Comcast by having un-plugged 'Netgear'
    > >> from  an old PC with XP/ SP1 to a brand new PC with XP/SP3.  I tried it
    > >> by accessing 'Wireless Network Setting' on Control Panel,  however I'm
    > >> NOT able to establish 'Wireless' connection by using Netgear which was
    > >> used on an old PC.  In the meantime, I can easily established a
    > >> connection/Comcast by using a long cable, ...' Wired.'

    > >> I want 'Wireless' connection by using Netgear, ... not a long Cable,
    > >> 'Wired' connection.

    > >> My question is;
    > >> Is there any way for me to establish 'Wireless' connection by using
    > >> 'Netgear' which was used by an old PC?

    > >> Thanks for your help in advance.

    You need to locate the exact model of Netgear adapter and then look up
    for revised drivers. The Netgear drivers might not install correctly
    with SP3. There might be a revised driver which might work with
    Windows XP SP3.

    smlunatick, Oct 30, 2009