    Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
    detract from image quality?

    Peter
    Peter Jason, Nov 23, 2012

  2. Peter Jason

    M-M Guest

    In article <k8mgj0$35m$>, jgh <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:28:03 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:
    > > The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer when using a tripod.
    > >
    > > Why?

    > It's looking for shakes from a human. On a tripod it'll be more stable
    > without it going looking.

    and it will shoot faster

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:
    M-M, Nov 23, 2012

  3. Peter Jason

    Rob Guest

    On 23/11/2012 11:28 AM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > I have an Olympus E5.
    >
    > The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
    > when using a tripod.
    >
    > Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
    > detract from image quality?
    >
    > Peter

    Put your ear to the lens when the IS is switched on.
    Rob, Nov 23, 2012
  4. Peter Jason

    nick c Guest

    On 11/22/2012 4:28 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > I have an Olympus E5.
    >
    > The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
    > when using a tripod.
    >
    > Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
    > detract from image quality?
    >
    > Peter

    You have asked what appears to be a simple question. Hoping, I think, to
    get a readily available simple answer but the answer is not so simple to
    give. Rather than attempt to answer your question and possibly bungling
    the explanation effort, I thought it best to offer a site where you can
    read the answer and draw your own conclusions.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_shake

    Nick
    nick c, Nov 23, 2012
  5. Peter Jason

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/23/2012 1:05 AM, M-M wrote:
    > In article <k8mgj0$35m$>, jgh <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:28:03 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:
    >>> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer when using a tripod.
    >>>
    >>> Why?

    >> It's looking for shakes from a human. On a tripod it'll be more stable
    >> without it going looking.

    > and it will shoot faster

    Yep! When shooting birds I typically turn VR off. I am shooting at such
    a high shutter speed that it is not really needed.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 23, 2012
  6. Peter Jason

    nick c Guest

    On 11/23/2012 9:28 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > "nick c" <> wrote in message
    >> On 11/22/2012 4:28 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >>> I have an Olympus E5.
    >>>
    >>> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
    >>> when using a tripod.
    >>>
    >>> Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
    >>> detract from image quality?
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>

    >> You have asked what appears to be a simple question. Hoping, I think, to
    >> get a readily available simple answer but the answer is not so simple to
    >> give. Rather than attempt to answer your question and possibly bungling
    >> the explanation effort, I thought it best to offer a site where you can
    >> read the answer and draw your own conclusions.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_shake
    >>
    >> Nick

    > I didn't see anything about when or why to turn it off in that article.
    > Maybe I missed something.

    Offhand, I read this portion in Wikipedia.

    "Most manufacturers suggest that the IS feature of a lens be turned off
    when the lens is mounted on a tripod as it can cause erratic results and
    is generally unnecessary."

    > As I understand it, the main reason to turn it off on a tripod is that image
    > stabilization can move the lens elements or sensor during exposure, which is
    > something you do not need or want during tripod stabilized exposures. So if
    > the vibration of the focal plane shutter or mirror slap or anything else
    > could cause unwanted "compensation" in the image stab system, you could
    > induce some camera shake blur that is caused by the system rather than the
    > actual camera shake. Leave well enough alone, and there should be no shakin
    > goin on when on a tripod, so nothing to compensate and possibly make things
    > worse.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Some time ago, I read the following information which I will endeavor to
    express in my words.

    When tripod mounted, lenses that are sensitively active (vertical &
    horizontal) in stabilization mode are in somewhat of a free floating
    condition. Therefore, when tripod mounted, the sensitivity of the
    stabilization design may detect vibrations emanating from any source and
    when active, light passing through the lens may be shifted in such
    manner as to create a degrading effect to bokeh although the centered
    image itself may appear to be unaffected.

    Nick
    nick c, Nov 24, 2012
  7. Peter Jason

    otter Guest

    On Nov 22, 6:29 pm, Peter Jason <> wrote:
    > I have an Olympus E5.
    >
    > The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
    > when using a tripod.
    >
    > Why?  Does the I.S. use camera resources that
    > detract from image quality?
    >
    > Peter

    A few other points, in addition to what others have said:
    - Some lenses are able to detect that they are on a tripod (i guess by
    lack of shake) and don't need to have IS turned off. This may not
    apply to the Olympus E5, but it does to some Canon IS lenses, at
    least.
    - If you have a mediocre tripod, or if it is windy to the point that
    your lens vibrates despite being on a tripod, you may be better off
    leaving IS on.
    - If your lens is on a good tripod and isn't vibrating, and the lens
    was not designed to automatically detect this, it may hunt for
    movement, which could cause poorer results than if IS were switched
    off. This is where the advice comes from to switch off IS while on a
    tripod. But as I mentioned above, it is not always necessary or even
    advisable.
    otter, Nov 24, 2012
  8. Peter Jason

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/24/2012 12:47 AM, otter wrote:
    > On Nov 22, 6:29 pm, Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >> I have an Olympus E5.
    >>
    >> The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
    >> when using a tripod.
    >>
    >> Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
    >> detract from image quality?
    >>
    >> Peter

    > A few other points, in addition to what others have said:
    > - Some lenses are able to detect that they are on a tripod (i guess by
    > lack of shake) and don't need to have IS turned off. This may not
    > apply to the Olympus E5, but it does to some Canon IS lenses, at
    > least.
    > - If you have a mediocre tripod, or if it is windy to the point that
    > your lens vibrates despite being on a tripod, you may be better off
    > leaving IS on.
    > - If your lens is on a good tripod and isn't vibrating, and the lens
    > was not designed to automatically detect this, it may hunt for
    > movement, which could cause poorer results than if IS were switched
    > off. This is where the advice comes from to switch off IS while on a
    > tripod. But as I mentioned above, it is not always necessary or even
    > advisable.

    I'm sure our engineer friends here will correct me but, I think
    everything has some degree of oscillation. The only issue is whether the
    oscillations are sufficient to move the lens outside the circle of
    confusion.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 24, 2012
  9. Peter Jason

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/24/2012 4:43 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:17:42 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    >>> A few other points, in addition to what others have said:
    >>> - Some lenses are able to detect that they are on a tripod (i guess by
    >>> lack of shake) and don't need to have IS turned off. This may not
    >>> apply to the Olympus E5, but it does to some Canon IS lenses, at
    >>> least.
    >>> - If you have a mediocre tripod, or if it is windy to the point that
    >>> your lens vibrates despite being on a tripod, you may be better off
    >>> leaving IS on.
    >>> - If your lens is on a good tripod and isn't vibrating, and the lens
    >>> was not designed to automatically detect this, it may hunt for
    >>> movement, which could cause poorer results than if IS were switched
    >>> off. This is where the advice comes from to switch off IS while on a
    >>> tripod. But as I mentioned above, it is not always necessary or even
    >>> advisable.
    >>>

    >> I'm sure our engineer friends here will correct me but, I think
    >> everything has some degree of oscillation. The only issue is whether the
    >> oscillations are sufficient to move the lens outside the circle of
    >> confusion.

    > The point is that the IS actually moves the circle of confusion.

    I understand that. But, it is my understanding that you cannot eliminate
    oscillation. It is likely that VR, and/or IS do in fact move the circle
    of confusion, hopefully in synch with the oscillations.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 25, 2012
  10. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:13:40 -0500, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 11/24/2012 4:43 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:17:42 -0500, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I'm sure our engineer friends here will correct me but, I think
    >>> everything has some degree of oscillation. The only issue is whether the
    >>> oscillations are sufficient to move the lens outside the circle of
    >>> confusion.

    >> The point is that the IS actually moves the circle of confusion.
    >>

    >I understand that. But, it is my understanding that you cannot eliminate
    >oscillation. It is likely that VR, and/or IS do in fact move the circle
    >of confusion, hopefully in synch with the oscillations.

    Thanks for the replies. I'm doing some tripod
    tests with a 600mm (4/3) lens and will report
    back.
    Peter Jason, Nov 25, 2012
  11. Peter Jason

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/24/2012 8:21 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:13:40 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/24/2012 4:43 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    >>> The point is that the IS actually moves the circle of confusion.
    >>>

    >> I understand that. But, it is my understanding that you cannot eliminate
    >> oscillation. It is likely that VR, and/or IS do in fact move the circle
    >> of confusion, hopefully in synch with the oscillations.

    > Thanks for the replies. I'm doing some tripod
    > tests with a 600mm (4/3) lens and will report
    > back.

    Enjoy.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 25, 2012
  12. Peter Jason

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 24, 8:22 pm, Peter Jason <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:13:40 -0500, PeterN
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On 11/24/2012 4:43 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    > >> The point is that the IS actually moves the circle of confusion.

    > >I understand that. But, it is my understanding that you cannot eliminate
    > >oscillation. It is likely that VR, and/or IS do in fact move the circle
    > >of confusion, hopefully in synch with the oscillations.

    > Thanks for the replies.  I'm doing some tripod
    > tests with a 600mm (4/3) lens and will report
    > back.

    There are no 600mm 4/3 rd lenses, unless you are talking about some
    Sigma zoom that might have appeared. Likely you mean 300mm because
    Olympus is still pretending that 4/3rds 2x equivalence still matters.
    Which is doesn't, once you have an APS or FF sensor with more pixels
    than the 18MP Panasonic m4/3rd sensor.
    RichA, Nov 25, 2012
  13. RichA <> wrote:

    >There are no 600mm 4/3 rd lenses, unless you are talking about some
    >Sigma zoom that might have appeared. Likely you mean 300mm because
    >Olympus is still pretending that 4/3rds 2x equivalence still matters.
    >Which is doesn't, once you have an APS or FF sensor with more pixels
    >than the 18MP Panasonic m4/3rd sensor.

    Don't be ridiculous. The 2X focal length multiplier is critically
    important because of the effect sensor size has on angle of view.
    Anthony Polson, Nov 25, 2012
  14. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:24:33 -0800 (PST), RichA
    <> wrote:

    >On Nov 24, 8:22 pm, Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:13:40 -0500, PeterN
    >>

    >> <> wrote:

    >> >I understand that. But, it is my understanding that you cannot eliminate
    >> >oscillation. It is likely that VR, and/or IS do in fact move the circle
    >> >of confusion, hopefully in synch with the oscillations.

    >> Thanks for the replies.  I'm doing some tripod
    >> tests with a 600mm (4/3) lens and will report
    >> back.

    >There are no 600mm 4/3 rd lenses, unless you are talking about some
    >Sigma zoom that might have appeared. Likely you mean 300mm because
    >Olympus is still pretending that 4/3rds 2x equivalence still matters.
    >Which is doesn't, once you have an APS or FF sensor with more pixels
    >than the 18MP Panasonic m4/3rd sensor.

    Gee, I dunno. It says 600 on the side of the
    lens...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504906-REG/Olympus_261057_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_Zuiko_ED.html

    and I use this gadget for time lapse
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/726221-REG/hahnel_HL_COMBITF_O_Combi_TF_Remote_Control.html
    (that came with a faulty LED screen requiring a
    change over.)
    Peter Jason, Nov 25, 2012
  15. Anthony Polson, Nov 25, 2012
  16. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    Peter Jason, Nov 25, 2012
  17. Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:47:54 +0000, Anthony Polson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >>>Gee, I dunno. It says 600 on the side of the
    >>>lens...
    >>>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504906-REG/Olympus_261057_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_Zuiko_ED.html

    >>Why would it say "600" on the side of a 70-300mm lens?

    >Actually it says 140 - 600. Do I see a pattern?

    I have no idea what you see, Eric, but there does seem to be a common
    thread linking those two focal length ranges. ;-)

    I'll sleep on it and let you know tomorrow!

    (It's 00:51 here).
    Anthony Polson, Nov 26, 2012
  18. Peter Jason

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, November 26, 2012 12:36:44 AM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-25 15:10:43 -0800, Eric Stevens <> said:
    >

    > > On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:47:54 +0000, Anthony Polson

    > > <> wrote:

    > Why
    >

    > >> would it say "600" on the side of a 70-300mm lens?

    > > Actually it says 140 - 600. Do I see a pattern?

    > Boy! Is Olympus desperate to highlight 35mm equivalents on a lens?
    >
    > The lens is a 70-300mm.

    Maybe why some think that specifying the angle of view would be a better figure.
    Whisky-dave, Nov 26, 2012
  19. In article <>,
    Peter Jason <> wrote:

    > I have an Olympus E5.
    >
    > The manual says to turn off the image stabilizer
    > when using a tripod.
    >
    > Why? Does the I.S. use camera resources that
    > detract from image quality?
    >
    > Peter

    IS is tuned to compensate for large movements from hands. It jitters
    and drifts by a small amount due to electrical noise, thermal drift, and
    motor pulsing. A ballpark number would be 1 or 2 pixels at 1/8 second
    and tens of pixels for exposures over a second. A solid tripod with a
    remote shutter control is far more steady.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 27, 2012