Why They Call It “Dimdowsâ€

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 15, 2010.

  1. <http://blogs.computerworld.com/15581/microsoft_fails_its_customers_after_a_bad_patch>:

    The issue is simple, back out a problematic patch. This should be no big
    deal, just move some files around and get on with your life. But few
    things from Microsoft are simple.

    Safe Mode, as many techies know, often fails to boot. This was the case
    with the XP computer I tried to rescue from the this weeks deadly
    patches. Even Safe Mode with command prompt wouldn't boot.

    If Safe Mode had worked, System Restore could have been used to restore
    a previous Restore Point. In theory at least, System Restore has shown
    itself to be flaky. For example, under XP, System Restore will, at
    times, turn itself off and not indicate to the end user that there is a
    problem.

    Without Safe Mode, most XP users are just screwed. Microsoft's next
    solution, for those without image backups, is the Recovery Console.

    In practical terms, this is no solution at all.

    The obvious first strike against the Recovery Console is that you need a
    Windows OS CD, which eliminates most people from the game immediately.
    Then you need an optical drive, which eliminates netbook users and those
    with ultra compact laptops.

    But, in my case, I had both a CD and an optical drive so I gave the
    Recovery Console a try. It failed to detect a hard drive in the
    computer.

    The hard drive was fine. A Linux Live CD was able to copy files off the
    drive, and the broken copy of XP at least starts to run before the BSOD.
    In this case, it was the Recovery Console itself that needed to be
    recovered.

    To insure my CD was working, I tried it on another XP machine. This time
    the Recovery Console found the hard drive but, as its supposed to do, it
    wouldn't run without the administrator password. I know the password for
    every userid on the box and tried them all. They were administrator
    level users, but not the administrator. So, no go.

    In the time of greatest need, when someone is forced to resort to the
    Recovery Console, Microsoft puts yet another hurdle in the way.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 15, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    Re: Why They Call It “Dimdows”

    On Feb 15, 10:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    <snip>

    'they' Larry? Do you often refer to yourself in the 3rd person plural?

    JohnO, Feb 15, 2010