    process shouldn’t even be looking at that.

    Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user data
    from the OS installation?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4ab0538d$>, says...
    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:20:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user
    > > data from the OS installation?

    > What do you expect of a fucked up operating system that hides piles of
    > sensitive private user data underneath the file system, beyond the reach
    > of a disk reformat?

    Not with yer on that one. For most business's - user data is
    (transparently) 'redirected' to the server ('Folder Redirection'
    controlled by GPO).

    For home users, well... most have one hard disk, so if the HDD fails,
    even partitioning is useless, and it wastes space anyway.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Sep 16, 2:55 pm, vitw <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:20:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user
    > > data from the OS installation?

    > What do you expect of a fucked up operating system that hides piles of
    > sensitive private user data underneath the file system, beyond the reach
    > of a disk reformat?

    Back in the 1970s it was decided that it was a Good Thing to keep the
    OS, program object and application data completely separate from each
    other. Why did Bill Gates forget this, or did he never learn this?

    I remember the old mainframe days when an application went mad and
    splattered data all the way up memory and obliterated the OS, which
    then had to be reloaded. In one machine an all-zero word was not an
    executable instruction so it stopped right there. In another machine
    it was executable so ran up through tables of zeroes until it did
    something very bad.
    Matty F, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Craig Shore Guest

    <_zealand> wrote:

    ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1299>:
    >
    > A clean Windows 7 upgrade, over a new or restored Vista installation,
    > should take 30-45 minutes.
    > With 50GB or so of user data, you can expect the upgrade to complete in
    > 90 minutes or less.
    >
    >Why should the amount of user data make any difference? The OS upgrade
    >process shouldn’t even be looking at that.
    >
    >Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user data
    >from the OS installation?

    It said at the bottom of the article why.

    Windows setup is a meticulous, journaled process designed to be
    error-proof and to be completely reversible; the more files you throw
    at it, the longer the process will take, especially if the disk is
    already full.
    Craig Shore, Sep 16, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1299>:
    >
    > A clean Windows 7 upgrade, over a new or restored Vista installation,
    > should take 30-45 minutes.
    > With 50GB or so of user data, you can expect the upgrade to complete in
    > 90 minutes or less.
    >
    > Why should the amount of user data make any difference? The OS upgrade
    > process shouldn’t even be looking at that.
    >
    > Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user data
    > from the OS installation?

    Vista and then 7 go a long way to enforcing this actually.

    Old apps that stored preferences in the program files directories would
    break unless run as an admin since there's in write access for
    applications to those folders.

    THe amount of user data didnt seem to make a difference when I did an
    upgrade on several machines with the RC... All took about 25-35 mins.
    Richard, Sep 16, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Richard threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1299>:
    >>
    >> A clean Windows 7 upgrade, over a new or restored Vista
    >> installation,
    >> should take 30-45 minutes.
    >> With 50GB or so of user data, you can expect the upgrade to
    >> complete in
    >> 90 minutes or less.
    >>
    >> Why should the amount of user data make any difference? The OS
    >> upgrade process shouldn’t even be looking at that.
    >>
    >> Is this because Dimdows makes it impossible to actually separate user
    >> data from the OS installation?

    > Vista and then 7 go a long way to enforcing this actually.
    >
    > Old apps that stored preferences in the program files directories
    > would break unless run as an admin since there's in write access for
    > applications to those folders.
    >
    > THe amount of user data didnt seem to make a difference when I did an
    > upgrade on several machines with the RC... All took about 25-35 mins.

    Rich, can you clarify, did you upgrade to the RC, or from the RC to the
    RTM version?

    Just asking because I seem to remember something being mentioned about
    not being able to upgrade from the RC to the Release version when I was
    installing the RC a while back. And since if have the RTM version to
    install when I get a chance it would be nice to avoid a full reinstall
    if possible.

    Regards

    Squiggle
    Squiggle, Sep 16, 2009
  7. In message <>, Craig Shore wrote:

    > It said at the bottom of the article why.
    >
    > Windows setup is a meticulous, journaled process designed to be
    > error-proof and to be completely reversible ...

    Reversibility would only impact the files that are being replaced--i.e. the
    previous OS installation. It shouldn't be impacting, or be impacted by, user
    data at all.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Squiggle wrote:

    >> THe amount of user data didnt seem to make a difference when I did an
    >> upgrade on several machines with the RC... All took about 25-35 mins.

    > Rich, can you clarify, did you upgrade to the RC, or from the RC to the
    > RTM version?
    >
    > Just asking because I seem to remember something being mentioned about
    > not being able to upgrade from the RC to the Release version when I was
    > installing the RC a while back. And since if have the RTM version to
    > install when I get a chance it would be nice to avoid a full reinstall
    > if possible.

    To the RC from vista - one was 32 bit the others 64 bit.
    Richard, Sep 18, 2009