Why telling the truth about climate change matters.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Feb 6, 2010.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Feb 6, 2010

  2. Aardvark

    thanatoid Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in
    news:3Jfbn.2891$2:

    > An article about why telling the truth about climate
    > research matters so much:
    >
    > < http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8500127.stm >

    All it says is "scientists shouldn't lie".

    Hah.

    NO ONE should lie but I have learned in my 54 miserable years on
    this planet that lying well is the most useful skill a person
    can possess in this society.

    AFA how and if the world ends, frankly, since I am the last in
    my family line and have no offspring, I really couldn't care
    less. And for those who insist on further breeding, IMHO there
    are much better reasons not to impose the sentence of life in
    the 21st Century (let alone later) on someone than just because
    they won't be able to visit Rotterdam in 2160 because it will be
    under water. The fact Orwell was off by about 30 years does not
    change the fact that life as I see it today is quickly becoming
    totally unacceptable due to a countless variety of what would
    once have been considered serious offenses against decency and
    humanity at the very least, and which most of the world now
    tolerates without a blink of an eye, IF they are even aware of
    them.

    AFA climate change specifically, I have been following and
    studying "world trends" ever since I read "Limits to Growth"
    almost 40 years ago and to be honest, I have been dying to see
    just WHAT happens. Climate change was hardly touched upon in the
    original "Limits to Growth" and IMO making a big deal of it is
    just a matter of perspective. Do we have a 10-year period of
    humanity's visit to this planet to consider? 100 years? 100,000
    years? 5,000,000,000 years?

    Climate change and what really causes it - just like whether
    Switzerland should belong to the EU or not or whether Madonna is
    still hot or not - becomes a little trivial depending on the
    time-frame and other reference strategies you adopt. Just like
    whether people thinking about these things have ever visited ANY
    BBC web site or read any Rupert Murdoch newspaper in their life
    or whether they rely on http://www.commondreams.org or
    http://www.whatreallyhappened.com for all their info may or may
    not have something to do with their POV.

    My father was a published scientist, I have taught at a
    university, I have friends who are still in academia - which I
    found ridiculous and unbearable (largely because of the insanity
    caused by the following of "publish or perish" at all costs) so
    left in spite of being awarded tenure.

    And while the amount of "scientific knowledge" we have /may/
    double every 8 months (or whatever the latest "statistics" - and
    many of you know how I feel about statistics), what percentage
    of the content of all the astonishing (and new!!!) things we are
    learning is of ANY importance to anyone but the person who wants
    to get tenure (and perhaps their dept. head) is highly
    debatable.

    (The page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tenure is quite
    interesting.)

    If someone claims that a really cold winter means that global
    warming is fiction then they are too stupid to engage in ANY
    discussions beyond who wins the next game of their favorite
    "let's kick/throw/shoot this ball around as if the whole world's
    survival depended on it".

    If they can provide evidence that 95 out of 100 /last/ winters
    have been the 95 coldest ones ever, they may have something. If
    they can provide evidence 90,000 of the /last/ 100,000 winters
    were among the 95,000 coldest ever, they may REALLY have
    something. But they can't and don't. They are just being idiots.

    That something VERY unpleasant will happen to a very large part
    of humanity I have NO doubt of. I doubt I or anyone else reading
    this will live to see whatever it is, but that brings us full-
    circle.

    In the meantime, don't forget, "The Simpsons" are about to come
    on!

    --
    The arrows are faster than rodents!
    - t.

    thanatoid, Feb 7, 2010

  3. Aardvark

    APLer Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in

    > An article about why telling the truth about climate research matters so
    > much:
    >
    > < http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8500127.stm >

    What I want is some nice crispy deep fried weather <g>. Preferably with
    garlic sauce.

    APLer, Feb 7, 2010