    SSD's over 64GB are too expensive, for most of us, other than for a boot
    drive. Since Windows and most apps rarely need more than 30GB what do
    people use these for?

    Mat, Aug 20, 2010

  2. Mat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mat wrote:
    > SSD's over 64GB are too expensive, for most of us, other than for a boot
    > drive. Since Windows and most apps rarely need more than 30GB what do
    > people use these for?

    SSD tech is developing and evolving rapidly. If you build an SSD
    properly and read/write from an ssd properly, it can be faster and
    cheaper and smaller and use less resources than a spinning disk.

    SanDisk announced their new line of tiny ssd/s which they plan to see
    integrated directly onto the mobo of small devices.

    Right now it is pretty tricky to figure out what kind of ssd to buy or
    use for real-life work instead of a normal hdd because a lot of the
    current tech is 'wrong'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 20, 2010

  3. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:54:33 +0000, Mat wrote:

    > SSD's over 64GB are too expensive, for most of us, other than for a boot
    > drive. Since Windows and most apps rarely need more than 30GB what do
    > people use these for?

    For a netbook for one. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a larger SSD mine is
    only 8 gb :)

    Meat Plow, Aug 20, 2010
  4. Mat

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-08-20, Mat <> wrote:
    > SSD's over 64GB are too expensive, for most of us, other than for a boot
    > drive. Since Windows and most apps rarely need more than 30GB what do
    > people use these for?

    More rugged - no moving parts on a chip.
    Physical size.
    Less battery drain.

    --
    -- Whiskers