Why softwares for Windows XP... Don't work with Windows XP 64bits?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by msnews.microsoft.com, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. Hello guys ;-)
    I recently update my system (i have in my home for private use a AMD Athon64
    3200+ 1,5 Gb of RAM) running WinXP sp2 EN-US(64bits)
    I like it, but i don't understand why a lot of softwares include the famous
    "Power Toys for Windows Xp" get error at the end of install process with a
    message:

    "The Powertoys require Windows XP or a service pack. They will not function
    on a version of Windows earlier or later than Windows XP"

    I hate that,because i love some powertoys in particular:

    1# MSVDM - Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (although old, he is
    exellent but only few people nowing...)

    2# CMD here

    Sometimes i'm think in go back to comfort and vesatility of this tools in
    WinXP 32bits O.S. ...

    I sent this mesage being for help in solve this problem.

    Please Help-ME and Reply ;-)

    msnews.microsoft.com, Feb 7, 2008

  2. msnews.microsoft.com

    S.SubZero Guest

    Re: Why softwares for Windows XP... Don't work with Windows XP64bits?

    On Feb 6, 7:32 pm, "msnews.microsoft.com" <>
    wrote:
    > Hello guys ;-)
    > I recently update my system (i have in my home for private use a AMD Athon64
    > 3200+ 1,5 Gb of RAM) running WinXP sp2 EN-US(64bits)
    > I like it, but i don't understand why a lot of softwares include the famous
    > "Power Toys for Windows Xp" get error at the end of install process with a
    > message:

    Hi,

    PowerToys is very specific to the version of Windows it runs on. It
    manipulates OS system files, and has no idea what 64-bit DLLs and such
    are. However, using the search engine "Google" I have found many
    references to a XP64-specific version of PowerToys, which MS never
    officially released but is apparently out there somewhere.

    Now then, you say "a lot of softwares" gets an error. You've named
    *one* so far. What are other apps you are trying to run?

    S.SubZero, Feb 7, 2008