why so much cpu time by google chrome

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nospam, Nov 10, 2013.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Nov 10, 2013

  2. nospam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
    > I was looking at this web page (R18) with google chome and found that
    > mouse wheel scrolling didn't work properly - it was so bad that I
    > opened up performance monitor and found that google chome uses 25% CPU
    > while showing this page. Internet explorer uses almost nothing.
    > What's the story?
    >
    > http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/colu...D_jaimiealexander1011&utm_campaign=FashionTDs

    I have no idea why that's happening. I fired up Chrome, went to a random
    site and checked WTM and it's using 0%. (Actually 2 x 0% as, for some reason
    there are *two* entries for Chrome in Task Manager [XP Pro] - I don't know
    what's causing that. When I close it down they both vanish.)

    However when I copied that URL into it suddenly Chrome's using between (*2
    x*) 28 and 40%! Could it be a perv tax? My mad skills aren't mad enough to
    trace the reason, sorry. All I can do is confirm that I get the same thing.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]
    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2013

  3. nospam

    Me Guest

    On 11/11/2013 4:30 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
    >> I was looking at this web page (R18) with google chome and found that
    >> mouse wheel scrolling didn't work properly - it was so bad that I
    >> opened up performance monitor and found that google chome uses 25% CPU
    >> while showing this page. Internet explorer uses almost nothing.
    >> What's the story?
    >>
    >> http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/colu...D_jaimiealexander1011&utm_campaign=FashionTDs

    > I have no idea why that's happening. I fired up Chrome, went to a random
    > site and checked WTM and it's using 0%. (Actually 2 x 0% as, for some reason
    > there are *two* entries for Chrome in Task Manager [XP Pro] - I don't know
    > what's causing that. When I close it down they both vanish.)
    >
    > However when I copied that URL into it suddenly Chrome's using between (*2
    > x*) 28 and 40%! Could it be a perv tax? My mad skills aren't mad enough to
    > trace the reason, sorry. All I can do is confirm that I get the same thing.

    Chrome runs a separate process for each open window/tab - reason being
    that if one tab crashes, it doesn't take the rest down with it. So each
    tab shows up separately in task manager. Chrome has it's own task
    manager built in - press shift|Esc key to enable it.
    That page uses 12% cpu on my laptop (Core i7) Disable javascript, and
    it drops to the usual close to 0% - and you lose the "live updating
    comments" at the bottom of the page. Chrome uses a sand-boxed
    javascript rendering engine. Code on that page doesn't seem to agree
    with it, so moot point whether the page should be optimised for chrome,
    or vice-versa. It might be to do with plugins - I haven't checked.

    Don't know why the OP thinks that page is "R18". You see worse (or
    better) on primetime TV.
    Me, Nov 11, 2013
  4. nospam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
    > On 11/11/2013 4:30 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
    >>> I was looking at this web page (R18) with google chome and found
    >>> that mouse wheel scrolling didn't work properly - it was so bad
    >>> that I opened up performance monitor and found that google chome
    >>> uses 25% CPU while showing this page. Internet explorer uses
    >>> almost nothing. What's the story?
    >>>
    >>> http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/colu...D_jaimiealexander1011&utm_campaign=FashionTDs

    >> I have no idea why that's happening. I fired up Chrome, went to a
    >> random site and checked WTM and it's using 0%. (Actually 2 x 0% as,
    >> for some reason there are *two* entries for Chrome in Task Manager
    >> [XP Pro] - I don't know what's causing that. When I close it down
    >> they both vanish.) However when I copied that URL into it suddenly
    >> Chrome's using
    >> between (*2 x*) 28 and 40%! Could it be a perv tax? My mad skills
    >> aren't mad enough to trace the reason, sorry. All I can do is
    >> confirm that I get the same thing.

    > Chrome runs a separate process for each open window/tab - reason being
    > that if one tab crashes, it doesn't take the rest down with it. So
    > each tab shows up separately in task manager.

    Ok. Thing is I only had one tab open. ???

    > Chrome has it's own
    > task manager built in - press shift|Esc key to enable it.
    > That page uses 12% cpu on my laptop (Core i7) Disable javascript, and
    > it drops to the usual close to 0% - and you lose the "live updating
    > comments" at the bottom of the page. Chrome uses a sand-boxed
    > javascript rendering engine. Code on that page doesn't seem to agree
    > with it, so moot point whether the page should be optimised for
    > chrome, or vice-versa. It might be to do with plugins - I haven't
    > checked.

    I had a feeling it might be a javascript issue.

    > Don't know why the OP thinks that page is "R18". You see worse (or
    > better) on primetime TV.

    Really? I haven't watched TV for years.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2013