Why so Many Horror Movies This Year?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Alvin, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Alvin

    Alvin Guest

    It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    of blood and tons of horror.

    This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:

    28 days later
    wrong turn
    texas chainsaw massacre
    jeepers creepers 2
    freddy vs jason
    cold creek manor
    cabin fever
    alien - director cut
    underworld
    house of the dead
    kill bill
    darkness falls
    dreamcatcher
    final destination 2
    house of 1000 corpes
    identity

    The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
    office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
    fests.

    Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    squirting.

    Alvin, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Alvin wrote:

    > Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    > movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    > squirting.

    Nope - bring it on!

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Alvin

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Alvin wrote:
    > It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    > that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    > of blood and tons of horror.
    >
    > This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    > the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    > horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:
    >

    > 28 days later
    > wrong turn
    > texas chainsaw massacre
    > jeepers creepers 2
    > freddy vs jason
    > cold creek manor
    > cabin fever
    > alien - director cut
    > underworld
    > house of the dead
    > kill bill
    > darkness falls
    > dreamcatcher
    > final destination 2
    > house of 1000 corpes
    > identity
    >

    > The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
    > office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
    > fests.
    >

    > Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    > movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    > squirting.

    If you don't want to watch a horror movie then don't, it's a free
    country. No one is going to force you into the theater and make you
    watch a film you don't want to see.

    The movie business is always cranking out horror movies. It's just that
    your noticing them right now because their having one of their surges in
    popularity.

    When horror films aren't popular I bet you don't notice the release of
    scary movies.

    ALV

    BTW, while it has more blood that any other movie in recent years, Kill
    Bill isn't a horror movie.

    Andrew Venor, Nov 3, 2003
  4. >From: Darrel Christenson

    >Alvin wrote:
    >>
    >> Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    >> movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    >> squirting.

    >Nope - bring it on!
    >

    >Darrel :)

    Same here. The more limbs and blood squirting goes on in the movie, the better
    it is.

    Nick Macpherson, Nov 3, 2003
  5. (Alvin) writes:

    > It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    > that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    > of blood and tons of horror.
    >
    > This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    > the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    > horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:

    > kill bill

    Wouldn't really consider this a horror movie...

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Alvin

    Justin Guest

    Alvin wrote on [3 Nov 2003 07:56:39 -0800]:
    > 28 days later
    > wrong turn
    > texas chainsaw massacre
    > jeepers creepers 2
    > freddy vs jason
    > cold creek manor
    > cabin fever
    > alien - director cut
    > underworld

    Not a horror movie at all. An action movie, not that much blood for an
    action movie either

    > house of the dead
    > kill bill

    not a horror movie, lost of blood though

    > darkness falls
    > dreamcatcher
    > final destination 2
    > house of 1000 corpes
    > identity
    >

    > The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
    > office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
    > fests.
    >

    > Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    > movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    > squirting.

    There's been quite a few horror movies in recent years as well.

    Justin, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Alvin

    Chris Banzai Guest

    Greetings,

    On 03 Nov 2003 17:06:14 GMT, (Nick Macpherson)
    wrote:

    >>From: Darrel Christenson

    >>Alvin wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    >>> movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    >>> squirting.

    >>Nope - bring it on!
    >>

    >>Darrel :)
    >>

    >Same here. The more limbs and blood squirting goes on in the movie, the better
    >it is.

    "I want blood and guts and gore and veins in my teeth! I wanna eat
    dead burnt bodies!"

    Oh, and I like horror movies. Too much is never enough and all that.

    Chris
    "Lately the only thing keeping me from being a serial killer is my
    distaste
    for manual labor." - Dogbert

    Highlander - Buckaroo Banzai - Buffy - Kolchak - Jon Sable - Ceirdwyn
    The Sims - Doc Savage
    all can be found at:
    http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

    Chris Banzai, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Alvin

    eNo Guest

    "Scott Streeter" <> wrote in message
    > (Alvin) writes:
    >
    > > It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    > > that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    > > of blood and tons of horror.
    > >
    > > This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    > > the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    > > horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:

    > > kill bill

    > Wouldn't really consider this a horror movie...

    horror... horrible... what's one syllable among friends?

    --
    eNo
    "Why am I here?"

    eNo, Nov 3, 2003
  9. Alvin

    Jason Guest

    House of the Dead was great. My buddy and I mocked the flick the
    entire time. We were a bit "irate" over being charged 6 bucks to see
    the film...

    Jason, Nov 3, 2003
  10. Alvin

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Alvin) wrote in message news:<>...
    > It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    > that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    > of blood and tons of horror.

    No, the studios look at how cheap horror films are to make and that
    they don't have to have big name stars(read Big Paychecks) and that
    they always make a profit on them. It's been that way for quite some
    time.

    For example, the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre cost about $10
    million to make and has grossed over $65 million. In contrast, Runaway
    Jury- an adaptation of a bestseller by John Grisham with big names
    Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman and John Cusack- cost $60 million and has
    only grossed about $35 million.

    > This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    > the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    > horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:

    This year isn't any different from any other year. Last year had:

    Vampires: Los Muertos
    They
    Queen of the Damned
    The Ring
    Resident Evil
    Horror
    Red Dragon
    Infested
    Raising Dead
    Ghost Ship
    Halloween: Resurrection
    FeardotCom
    Lord of the Vampires
    Eight Legged Freaks
    Deathwatch
    Blade II
    Dog Soldiers
    Fear of the Dark
    Ghostwatcher

    And guess what? You can do this for any year going back to the late
    1970s and early 1980s when Halloween sparked the modern day
    rise/popularity of the horror film genre.

    > 28 days later

    Released last year, actually. It just made its way to the US this
    year.

    > wrong turn
    > texas chainsaw massacre
    > jeepers creepers 2
    > freddy vs jason
    > cold creek manor
    > cabin fever

    Saw limited release last year.

    > alien - director cut

    This is a rerelease of a 1979 film.

    > underworld
    > house of the dead
    > kill bill

    This is not even close to being a horror film. Only released to hype
    the new 9-Disc Alien Quadrilogy DVD Box set coming out next month.

    > darkness falls
    > dreamcatcher
    > final destination 2
    > house of 1000 corpes
    > identity
    >

    > The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
    > office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
    > fests.

    As long as they are well-done I see no problem with them. Heck,
    Darkness Falls had very little blood. And I don't recall Identity
    having much either.

    > Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    > movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    > squirting.

    Then go see those films and support them. There is no shortage of
    them. Disney's latest, Brother Bear, is out and and did decent box
    office over the weekend.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Nov 3, 2003
  11. Alvin

    profft Guest

    Yeah that's more a fantasy/hotties flick

    profft, Nov 3, 2003
  12. Alvin

    Justin Guest

    Smaug69 wrote on [3 Nov 2003 10:47:00 -0800]:
    >> alien - director cut

    > This is a rerelease of a 1979 film.
    >
    >> underworld
    >> house of the dead
    >> kill bill

    > This is not even close to being a horror film. Only released to hype
    > the new 9-Disc Alien Quadrilogy DVD Box set coming out next month.

    I am assuming the second sentence here is in relation to the Alien
    rerelease?

    Justin, Nov 3, 2003
  13. Alvin

    jayembee Guest

    (Alvin) wrote:

    >It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    >that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    >of blood and tons of horror.
    >
    >This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    >the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    >horror.

    It's just another swing of the pendulum. Various genres wax and wan.
    Once the popularity of horror drops off again, there won't be many
    released. Some years down the road, it'll catch on again, and we'll
    get another spate of them.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 3, 2003
  14. Alvin

    luminos Guest

    Yes, isn't it interesting how the studios always know exactly how to target
    a massive stupidity and make money.

    luminos, Nov 3, 2003
  15. Alvin

    Alvin Guest

    Andrew Venor <> wrote in message news:<MMvpb.5201$>...
    > Alvin wrote:
    > > It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    > > that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    > > of blood and tons of horror.
    > >
    > > This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    > > the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    > > horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:
    > >

    > > 28 days later
    > > wrong turn
    > > texas chainsaw massacre
    > > jeepers creepers 2
    > > freddy vs jason
    > > cold creek manor
    > > cabin fever
    > > alien - director cut
    > > underworld
    > > house of the dead
    > > kill bill
    > > darkness falls
    > > dreamcatcher
    > > final destination 2
    > > house of 1000 corpes
    > > identity
    > >

    > > The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
    > > office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
    > > fests.
    > >

    > > Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    > > movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    > > squirting.

    > If you don't want to watch a horror movie then don't, it's a free
    > country. No one is going to force you into the theater and make you
    > watch a film you don't want to see.
    >
    > The movie business is always cranking out horror movies. It's just that
    > your noticing them right now because their having one of their surges in
    > popularity.
    >
    > When horror films aren't popular I bet you don't notice the release of
    > scary movies.
    >
    > ALV
    >
    > BTW, while it has more blood that any other movie in recent years, Kill
    > Bill isn't a horror movie.

    It's not a free country when you have no control on the type of movies
    that are being produced. I like westerns, and Hollywood completely
    ignores this genre.

    Alvin, Nov 3, 2003
  16. Alvin

    NOMAD205 Guest

    >ect: Why so Many Horror Movies This Year?
    >From: (Alvin)
    >Date: 11/3/03 3:56 PM !!!First Boot!!!
    >
    >It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    >that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    >of blood and tons of horror.
    >
    >This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    >the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    >horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:
    >

    >28 days later
    >wrong turn
    >texas chainsaw massacre
    >jeepers creepers 2
    >freddy vs jason
    >cold creek manor
    >cabin fever
    >alien - director cut
    >underworld
    >house of the dead
    >kill bill
    >darkness falls
    >dreamcatcher
    >final destination 2
    >house of 1000 corpes
    >identity
    >

    >The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
    >office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
    >fests.
    >

    >Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    >movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    >squirting.

    to each his own, horror is my favorite genre, doesnt matter if its supernatural
    and intelligent like sixth sense or stir of echoes or a slasher like slumber
    party massacre, I love it all, If you like wholesome, thats ok too, but you
    will find there are alot of horror fans like me, some that may even like the
    old school slasher like me.

    NOMAD205, Nov 3, 2003
  17. Alvin

    NOMAD205 Guest

    >ect: Re: Why so Many Horror Movies This Year?
    >From: (Alvin)
    >Date: 11/3/03 10:31 PM !!!First Boot!!!
    >
    >Andrew Venor <> wrote in message
    >> Alvin wrote:
    >> > It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    >> > that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    >> > of blood and tons of horror.
    >> >
    >> > This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    >> > the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    >> > horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:
    >> >

    >> > 28 days later
    >> > wrong turn
    >> > texas chainsaw massacre
    >> > jeepers creepers 2
    >> > freddy vs jason
    >> > cold creek manor
    >> > cabin fever
    >> > alien - director cut
    >> > underworld
    >> > house of the dead
    >> > kill bill
    >> > darkness falls
    >> > dreamcatcher
    >> > final destination 2
    >> > house of 1000 corpes
    >> > identity
    >> >

    >> > The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
    >> > office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
    >> > fests.
    >> >

    >> > Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    >> > movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    >> > squirting.

    >> If you don't want to watch a horror movie then don't, it's a free
    >> country. No one is going to force you into the theater and make you
    >> watch a film you don't want to see.
    >>
    >> The movie business is always cranking out horror movies. It's just that
    >> your noticing them right now because their having one of their surges in
    >> popularity.
    >>
    >> When horror films aren't popular I bet you don't notice the release of
    >> scary movies.
    >>
    >> ALV
    >>
    >> BTW, while it has more blood that any other movie in recent years, Kill
    >> Bill isn't a horror movie.

    >It's not a free country when you have no control on the type of movies
    >that are being produced. I like westerns, and Hollywood completely
    >ignores this genre.

    Im not sure how to reply without sounding smarmy, but here I go...it is a free
    country...meaning you can choose or not choose to watch or read something, just
    because people arent producing the kind of art ( movies) you like doesnt mean
    its not a free country. What a free country does mean is...that you like anyone
    else here have the right to make your own art in the form of a feature film and
    get it produced just like these directors did with their visions...or...you
    could write the studio...and let them know...hey do some western stuff,
    unfortunately by telling us, we cant make that happen

    NOMAD205, Nov 3, 2003
  18. Alvin

    JWB Guest

    > > Alvin wrote:
    > > > It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
    > > > that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
    > > > of blood and tons of horror.
    > > >
    > > > This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
    > > > the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
    > > > horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:
    > > >

    > > > 28 days later
    > > > wrong turn
    > > > texas chainsaw massacre
    > > > jeepers creepers 2
    > > > freddy vs jason
    > > > cold creek manor
    > > > cabin fever
    > > > alien - director cut
    > > > underworld
    > > > house of the dead
    > > > kill bill
    > > > darkness falls
    > > > dreamcatcher
    > > > final destination 2
    > > > house of 1000 corpes
    > > > identity
    > > >

    > > > The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
    > > > office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
    > > > fests.
    > > >

    > > > Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    > > > movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    > > > squirting.

    > > If you don't want to watch a horror movie then don't, it's a free
    > > country. No one is going to force you into the theater and make you
    > > watch a film you don't want to see.
    > >
    > > The movie business is always cranking out horror movies. It's just that
    > > your noticing them right now because their having one of their surges in
    > > popularity.
    > >
    > > When horror films aren't popular I bet you don't notice the release of
    > > scary movies.
    > >
    > > ALV
    > >
    > > BTW, while it has more blood that any other movie in recent years, Kill
    > > Bill isn't a horror movie.

    > It's not a free country when you have no control on the type of movies
    > that are being produced. I like westerns, and Hollywood completely
    > ignores this genre.

    It is a free country. You're free to go make your own western if you wish.

    JWB, Nov 3, 2003
  19. Alvin

    Wade365 Guest

    << It's not a free country when you have no control on the type of movies
    that are being produced. >>

    Oh knock it off.

    Wade365, Nov 4, 2003
  20. Alvin

    Doonie Guest

    On 3 Nov 2003 07:56:39 -0800, Alvin wrote:

    >Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
    >movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
    >squirting.

    You should have the police talk to that person who forced you to
    watch all those horror movies.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Nov 4, 2003