Why shouldnt I get Vista (or which version)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Vista comes in 4 flavors, aside from some simple comparison lists I
    > have yet to see a comprehensive comparisons of the 4 versions, like
    > can Vista Home Basic be connected to a domain?
    > Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate which should I adopt and
    > why?

    I'm not sure if you've seen this, because I'm not sure what you mean by
    simple comparisons, but:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Editions_and_pricing
    Nik Coughlin, Feb 5, 2007

  2. My main machine has reached it used by date as far as being a main use
    computer, I have a use for it when it gets put out to pasture next week.

    I have used all my current OS licenses, so the new machine will need an OS. As
    a MS pro I don't pirate MS stuff, to risky for me. I have Linux systems too, so
    piss off with Linux options, it has not got what I need which is support for
    main stream applications used in my prof life. Nice for my web servers, toy
    systems etc but not much else yet!

    Now the new machine will have all the good stuff like a shadow rendering
    Graphics card, 2 Gb Ram etc etc so will be extremely vista compatible.

    Vista comes in 4 flavors, aside from some simple comparison lists I have yet to
    see a comprehensive comparisons of the 4 versions, like can Vista Home Basic be
    connected to a domain?
    Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate which should I adopt and why?

    The dollars difference for me is not a lot since I get OEM pricing.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:32:07 +1300, Collector»NZ
    <> exclaimed:

    >Vista comes in 4 flavors, aside from some simple comparison lists I have yet to
    >see a comprehensive comparisons of the 4 versions, like can Vista Home Basic be
    >connected to a domain?
    >Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate which should I adopt and why?

    Home Premium is only a few bucks more than Home Basic, so there's not
    a lot of point getting that.

    None of the Home versions can connect to a domain - you need Business
    or Ultimate to do that. Ultimate isn't really for most people, unless
    you need the ability to join a domain AND want Media Centre.

    Other than that, if you say what you want to do, I (or someone else)
    will tell you the best option, with reasons.

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
    Fred Dagg, Feb 5, 2007
  4. Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Vista comes in 4 flavors, aside from some simple comparison lists I
    >> have yet to see a comprehensive comparisons of the 4 versions, like
    >> can Vista Home Basic be connected to a domain?
    >> Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate which should I adopt and
    >> why?

    > I'm not sure if you've seen this, because I'm not sure what you mean by
    > simple comparisons, but:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Editions_and_pricing

    Good reference but tells me no more than I have found on MS so far it is still
    a simple comparison perhaps a little less readable than the ones on MS Technet

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 5, 2007
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Phil Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote, On 5/02/07 6.32 p:
    > Vista comes in 4 flavors, aside from some simple comparison lists I have yet to
    > see a comprehensive comparisons of the 4 versions, like can Vista Home Basic be
    > connected to a domain?
    > Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate which should I adopt and why?

    Are there any features of Vista that you need to have, or software/work
    that will only run on Vista (or runs better on Vista)?

    Are there any problems with XP affecting your use of it that are fixed
    in Vista?

    If you answered 'yes' to both of those -- what features can you do
    without? I think that Business or Enterprise is pretty solid -- it's not
    as stripped-down as Home and not full of fairly frivolous features as in
    Ultimate.

    -Phil
    Phil, Feb 5, 2007
  6. Nik Coughlin

    David Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:32:07 +1300, Collector»NZ
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Vista comes in 4 flavors, aside from some simple comparison lists I have yet to
    >> see a comprehensive comparisons of the 4 versions, like can Vista Home Basic be
    >> connected to a domain?
    >> Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate which should I adopt and why?

    > Home Premium is only a few bucks more than Home Basic, so there's not
    > a lot of point getting that.
    >
    > None of the Home versions can connect to a domain - you need Business
    > or Ultimate to do that. Ultimate isn't really for most people, unless
    > you need the ability to join a domain AND want Media Centre.
    >
    > Other than that, if you say what you want to do, I (or someone else)
    > will tell you the best option, with reasons.

    What about remote desktop? From what I've read I'll need Business to be
    able to remote desktop into my machines. That really annoys me, as I use
    XP media centre and XP Pro currently, and use remote desktop all the
    time. I can get a free upgrade from MCE to Home Premium, but I might
    have to wait and see how the pirates go about cracking the new
    ultra-fancy copy protection.
    David, Feb 5, 2007
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 20:46:16 +1300, David <> exclaimed:

    >> None of the Home versions can connect to a domain - you need Business
    >> or Ultimate to do that. Ultimate isn't really for most people, unless
    >> you need the ability to join a domain AND want Media Centre.
    >>
    >> Other than that, if you say what you want to do, I (or someone else)
    >> will tell you the best option, with reasons.
    >>

    >What about remote desktop? From what I've read I'll need Business to be
    >able to remote desktop into my machines. That really annoys me, as I use
    >XP media centre and XP Pro currently, and use remote desktop all the
    >time. I can get a free upgrade from MCE to Home Premium, but I might
    >have to wait and see how the pirates go about cracking the new
    >ultra-fancy copy protection.

    You can connect TO other machines from any version. However, you need
    Business or Ultimate to connect to it.

    ie all versions have the client, only Business and Ultimate have the
    server.

    If that was the only issue, I'd be looking at VNC with Home Premium
    (unless you need to connect to a DC of course).

    In regards to the copy protection stuff, note that most of this is
    FUD. Important point that always seems to get lost:

    ** YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IN VISTA THAT YOU CAN DO IN XP **

    in regards to DRM and copy protection (and same with Linux etc). It's
    simply that Vista integrates an additional layer, to allow the
    playback of protected HD content that up until now could only be
    viewed on standalone players.

    So anything you are doing now isn't going to be limited by Vista.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 5, 2007
  8. Nik Coughlin

    impossible Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:32:07 +1300, Collector»NZ
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Vista comes in 4 flavors, aside from some simple comparison lists
    >>> I have yet to see a comprehensive comparisons of the 4 versions,
    >>> like can Vista Home Basic be connected to a domain?
    >>> Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate which should I adopt and
    >>> why?

    >> Home Premium is only a few bucks more than Home Basic, so there's
    >> not
    >> a lot of point getting that.
    >>
    >> None of the Home versions can connect to a domain - you need
    >> Business
    >> or Ultimate to do that. Ultimate isn't really for most people,
    >> unless
    >> you need the ability to join a domain AND want Media Centre.
    >>
    >> Other than that, if you say what you want to do, I (or someone
    >> else)
    >> will tell you the best option, with reasons.
    >>

    > What about remote desktop? From what I've read I'll need Business to
    > be able to remote desktop into my machines. That really annoys me,
    > as I use XP media centre and XP Pro currently, and use remote
    > desktop all the time. I can get a free upgrade from MCE to Home
    > Premium, but I might have to wait and see how the pirates go about
    > cracking the new ultra-fancy copy protection.

    See the comparison table posted here by a Microsoft MVP. Should answer
    most of your questions.

    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=587581&SiteID=17
    impossible, Feb 5, 2007
  9. Nik Coughlin

    whome Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > My main machine has reached it used by date as far as being a main use
    > computer, I have a use for it when it gets put out to pasture next week.
    >
    > I have used all my current OS licenses, so the new machine will need an
    > OS. As a MS pro I don't pirate MS stuff, to risky for me. I have Linux
    > systems too, so piss off with Linux options, it has not got what I need
    > which is support for main stream applications used in my prof life. Nice
    > for my web servers, toy systems etc but not much else yet!

    yeah, don't get why anyone would run a pirated O/S. Who knows what shit is
    in there.
    whome, Feb 5, 2007
  10. David wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:32:07 +1300, Collector»NZ
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Vista comes in 4 flavors, aside from some simple comparison lists I
    >>> have yet to see a comprehensive comparisons of the 4 versions, like
    >>> can Vista Home Basic be connected to a domain?
    >>> Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate which should I adopt and why?

    >> Home Premium is only a few bucks more than Home Basic, so there's not
    >> a lot of point getting that.
    >>
    >> None of the Home versions can connect to a domain - you need Business
    >> or Ultimate to do that. Ultimate isn't really for most people, unless
    >> you need the ability to join a domain AND want Media Centre.
    >>
    >> Other than that, if you say what you want to do, I (or someone else)
    >> will tell you the best option, with reasons.
    >>

    > What about remote desktop? From what I've read I'll need Business to be
    > able to remote desktop into my machines. That really annoys me, as I use
    > XP media centre and XP Pro currently, and use remote desktop all the
    > time. I can get a free upgrade from MCE to Home Premium, but I might
    > have to wait and see how the pirates go about cracking the new
    > ultra-fancy copy protection.

    Yep remote desktop is a feature they limit by version, I am thinking for the
    Dollars involved at OEm cost I will go with Ultimate so I dont have to do any
    upgrades when I discover something I want to use is crippled in a lower
    version. Means I get a lot of shit I dont want but I am hoping things like
    bitlocker can be disabled.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 5, 2007
  11. Snip

    >> What about remote desktop? From what I've read I'll need Business to
    >> be able to remote desktop into my machines. That really annoys me,
    >> as I use XP media centre and XP Pro currently, and use remote
    >> desktop all the time. I can get a free upgrade from MCE to Home
    >> Premium, but I might have to wait and see how the pirates go about
    >> cracking the new ultra-fancy copy protection.

    > See the comparison table posted here by a Microsoft MVP. Should answer
    > most of your questions.
    >
    > http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=587581&SiteID=17

    Getting better, now to find out if some of the stuff I dont want is forced on
    you or is able to be disabled. (Bitlocker among others)

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 5, 2007
  12. On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:20:09 +1300, whome wrote:

    > yeah, don't get why anyone would run a pirated O/S. Who knows what shit is
    > in there.

    Ditto for closed source software - no way of knowing what it in there.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918
    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 5, 2007
  13. On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 11:02:04 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Yep remote desktop is a feature they limit by version, I am thinking for the
    > Dollars involved at OEm cost I will go with Ultimate so I dont have to do any
    > upgrades when I discover something I want to use is crippled in a lower
    > version. Means I get a lot of shit I dont want but I am hoping things like
    > bitlocker can be disabled.

    Funny how we've gone from one version of M$-DOS, to one version each of
    Win4.x & WinNT4.x & WinNT5.0, But then two distros of WinNT5.1, and then
    suddenly 5 distros (or is there more?) of WinNT6.0.

    Of what other reason could there be for this, other than price gouging?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 5, 2007
  14. Nik Coughlin

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>, lid says...
    > On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 11:02:04 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    > > Yep remote desktop is a feature they limit by version, I am thinking for the
    > > Dollars involved at OEm cost I will go with Ultimate so I dont have to do any
    > > upgrades when I discover something I want to use is crippled in a lower
    > > version. Means I get a lot of shit I dont want but I am hoping things like
    > > bitlocker can be disabled.

    > Funny how we've gone from one version of M$-DOS, to one version each of
    > Win4.x & WinNT4.x & WinNT5.0, But then two distros of WinNT5.1, and then
    > suddenly 5 distros (or is there more?) of WinNT6.0.
    >
    > Of what other reason could there be for this, other than price gouging?

    Just curious.....

    By your number series where does windows 2003 group of products fit in ?
    NT6(A) LOL

    bazz
    bAZZ, Feb 6, 2007
  15. Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 6, 2007
  16. Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 11:02:04 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Yep remote desktop is a feature they limit by version, I am thinking for the
    >> Dollars involved at OEm cost I will go with Ultimate so I dont have to do any
    >> upgrades when I discover something I want to use is crippled in a lower
    >> version. Means I get a lot of shit I dont want but I am hoping things like
    >> bitlocker can be disabled.

    > Funny how we've gone from one version of M$-DOS, to one version each of
    > Win4.x & WinNT4.x & WinNT5.0, But then two distros of WinNT5.1, and then
    > suddenly 5 distros (or is there more?) of WinNT6.0.
    >
    > Of what other reason could there be for this, other than price gouging?

    Get real, there may once have been a historical relationship between MS os's
    but that has gone by the way now, NT (supossed New Technology) OS ceased any
    relationship with the other OS's back in win2000 days

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 6, 2007
  17. Nik Coughlin

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 11:05:57 +1300, Collector»NZ
    <> exclaimed:

    >Snip
    >>>>

    >>> What about remote desktop? From what I've read I'll need Business to
    >>> be able to remote desktop into my machines. That really annoys me,
    >>> as I use XP media centre and XP Pro currently, and use remote
    >>> desktop all the time. I can get a free upgrade from MCE to Home
    >>> Premium, but I might have to wait and see how the pirates go about
    >>> cracking the new ultra-fancy copy protection.

    >> See the comparison table posted here by a Microsoft MVP. Should answer
    >> most of your questions.
    >>
    >> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=587581&SiteID=17
    >>

    >Getting better, now to find out if some of the stuff I dont want is forced on
    >you or is able to be disabled. (Bitlocker among others)

    Bitlocker is only in Ultimate, and is disabled by default.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 6, 2007
  18. Nik Coughlin

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:05:20 +1300, bAZZ <>
    exclaimed:

    >In article <>, lid says...
    >> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 11:02:04 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >> > Yep remote desktop is a feature they limit by version, I am thinking for the
    >> > Dollars involved at OEm cost I will go with Ultimate so I dont have to do any
    >> > upgrades when I discover something I want to use is crippled in a lower
    >> > version. Means I get a lot of shit I dont want but I am hoping things like
    >> > bitlocker can be disabled.

    >> Funny how we've gone from one version of M$-DOS, to one version each of
    >> Win4.x & WinNT4.x & WinNT5.0, But then two distros of WinNT5.1, and then
    >> suddenly 5 distros (or is there more?) of WinNT6.0.
    >>
    >> Of what other reason could there be for this, other than price gouging?
    >>

    >Just curious.....
    >
    >By your number series where does windows 2003 group of products fit in ?
    >NT6(A) LOL

    Don't encourage the idiot...

    Fred Dagg, Feb 6, 2007
  19. Nik Coughlin

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 6 Feb 2007 12:21:21 +1300, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:20:09 +1300, whome wrote:
    >
    >> yeah, don't get why anyone would run a pirated O/S. Who knows what shit is
    >> in there.

    >Ditto for closed source software - no way of knowing what it in there.

    I was going to say "same for open source", except I forgot your claim
    that you have personally analysed the source code of all the open
    source products you use...

    Fred Dagg, Feb 6, 2007
  20. Nik Coughlin

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-06, Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > On 6 Feb 2007 12:21:21 +1300, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:20:09 +1300, whome wrote:
    >>
    >>> yeah, don't get why anyone would run a pirated O/S. Who knows what shit is
    >>> in there.

    >>Ditto for closed source software - no way of knowing what it in there.

    > I was going to say "same for open source", except I forgot your claim
    > that you have personally analysed the source code of all the open
    > source products you use...

    I or someone I trust. If you trust Microsoft that's your choice.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Feb 7, 2007