    provide.

    No, I don't work for them or have any other stake other than wanting
    to keep them in business.
    Oliver Costich, Dec 26, 2006

  2. Oliver Costich

    grruffbowwow Guest

    Oliver Costich wrote:
    > Her's an example of why. I bought a Penatx K10D camera and a Pentax
    > AF360 flash from them. I had a problem with everything being
    > underexposed when using the flash, to the point of getting dark photos
    > with the EV at +3. Penatx, after an exchange of phots, said it's
    > likely a bad flash. Call B&H and they said they'd replace it, in fact
    > refund it, because reordering would be a faster exchange. They emailed
    > me a UPS prepaid label.
    >
    > The new flash arrived and the problem wasn't fixed, and then Penatx
    > said it must be the camera - either the way it communicates with the
    > flash or bad contact between the lens and camera. Call B&H again and
    > get the same response. Of course we will refund it, and sent another
    > prepaid UPS label.
    >
    > They received the original flash last Friday and the refund was
    > processed yesterday. Given the holiday, that's immediately. B&H may
    > not always have the absolutely lowest prices (but they are very good),
    > but no place that sells for less has the inventory or service that
    > provide.
    >
    > No, I don't work for them or have any other stake other than wanting
    > to keep them in business.

    Yes, they're the top of the heap when it comes to photographic internet
    retail, IMHO. I order film and other occasional bits and pieces from
    them and they're always responsive and prompt, with competitive if not
    the absolute best prices. They always have everything I want, so I
    usually save on shipping what I pay extra, ie. by combining what could
    be several separate orders from other sites into one bigger order.

    Unfortunately, there are some who lurk here who will immediately jump
    on any chance to express their malign views on Judaism; a post about
    B&H, no matter what you say, is tantamount to a troll for these
    anti-semitic imbeciles. I hope that none rise to the bait, but I
    believe I'll wish in vain.....
    grruffbowwow, Dec 26, 2006

  3. Oliver Costich

    ASAAR Guest

    On 26 Dec 2006 08:48:10 -0800, grruffbowwow wrote:

    > Unfortunately, there are some who lurk here who will immediately jump
    > on any chance to express their malign views . . .

    It would have been better if you limited your reply to the first
    paragraph, omitting the rest which was just more bait . . .
    ASAAR, Dec 26, 2006
  4. Oliver Costich

    Chuck Guest

    My experience was that B&H and others use the "bait and switch" routine. As
    a result, I don't do business with them.

    Chuck, Dec 26, 2006
  5. grruffbowwow wrote:

    > Unfortunately, there are some who lurk here who will immediately jump
    > on any chance to express their malign views on Judaism; a post about
    > B&H, no matter what you say, is tantamount to a troll for these
    > anti-semitic imbeciles. I hope that none rise to the bait, but I
    > believe I'll wish in vain.....

    Take your antisemitism bullshit somewhere else you racist bastard.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 26, 2006
  6. ASAAR wrote:

    >> Unfortunately, there are some who lurk here who will immediately jump
    >> on any chance to express their malign views . . .

    > It would have been better if you limited your reply to the first
    > paragraph, omitting the rest which was just more bait . . .

    And what makes you think this wasn't his intentions?

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 26, 2006
  7. On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:43:17 -0500, "Chuck" <>
    wrote:

    >My experience was that B&H and others use the "bait and switch" routine. As
    >a result, I don't do business with them.

    I have ordered from B&H ten times in the past 15 months and have NEVER
    had anyone try "bait and switch". Everything I ordered was shipped
    exactly as described with no attempt sell anything else. Once I called
    them about an out of stock item, a rarity in itself, and they sent me
    to another retailer rather than trying to sell me something else. Your
    "and others" statement is true but it does not apply to B&H.

    Oliver Costich, Dec 26, 2006
  8. Oliver Costich

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:45:30 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    >> It would have been better if you limited your reply to the first
    >> paragraph, omitting the rest which was just more bait . . .

    > And what makes you think this wasn't his intentions?

    And what makes you think that I didn't consider that possibility?
    Not sharing your occasionally faulty omniscience, I didn't include
    any assumptions that might have eventually proved to be either
    accurate (cheers!) or embarrassing (jeers!).
    ASAAR, Dec 26, 2006
  9. Oliver Costich

    PTravel Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    > My experience was that B&H and others use the "bait and switch" routine.
    > As
    > a result, I don't do business with them.

    I've bought many, many times from B&H over the last ten years -- amounting
    to many, many thousands of dollars of gear. Never, not once, have they ever
    done a bait-and-switch. More to the point, I've never heard of anyone
    (other than you) who claims that they have. No offense, but I simply don't
    believe you -- it's contrary to my own (extensive) personal experience, and
    the personal experience of virtually everyone else who has reported on their
    transactions.

    B&H is the gold standard for ethical, reliable photographic and electronic
    mail order (and their brick-and-mortar store is a lot of fun, too).

    PTravel, Dec 26, 2006
  10. But, then you can get the same from your local camera store. Minus all of
    the shipping and waiting. Big whoopee!

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Dec 26, 2006
  11. Oliver Costich

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:43:17 -0500, Chuck wrote:

    > My experience was that B&H and others use the "bait and switch" routine. As
    > a result, I don't do business with them.

    Do you have a specific story to relate? I've never had B&H do "bait and
    switch" or anything like it.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Dec 26, 2006
  12. Oliver Costich

    grruffbowwow Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On 26 Dec 2006 08:48:10 -0800, grruffbowwow wrote:
    >
    > > Unfortunately, there are some who lurk here who will immediately jump
    > > on any chance to express their malign views . . .

    > It would have been better if you limited your reply to the first
    > paragraph, omitting the rest which was just more bait . . .

    Hm.... interestingly enough, the second paragraph was my original
    reply; a warning to the OP regarding a few less-than-appealing types
    one occasionally comes across on the Usenet. The first paragraph was as
    an afterthought, just to say, "I agree, it's a decent place to shop".

    Regardless my intent was not to troll, but rather to advise....
    apologies to all.
    grruffbowwow, Dec 26, 2006
  13. "Chuck" <> writes:

    > My experience was that B&H and others use the "bait and switch" routine. As
    > a result, I don't do business with them.

    I dunno, I've never seen this. Having many more photo goodies than I can buy
    to drain my wallet certainly, but not bait & switch. The one time I got the
    wrong cable shipped, they instantly replaced it.

    I will admit, their shipping policy against shipping to the UPS store drop
    boxes did cost them some sales with me, but they are upfront about the policy.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Dec 26, 2006
  14. Oliver Costich

    grruffbowwow Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > grruffbowwow wrote:
    >
    > > Unfortunately, there are some who lurk here who will immediately jump
    > > on any chance to express their malign views on Judaism; a post about
    > > B&H, no matter what you say, is tantamount to a troll for these
    > > anti-semitic imbeciles. I hope that none rise to the bait, but I
    > > believe I'll wish in vain.....

    > Take your antisemitism bullshit somewhere else you racist bastard.
    >

    > Rita

    Q.E.D.
    grruffbowwow, Dec 26, 2006
  15. Oliver Costich

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:53:32 -0800, "Little Juice Coupe"
    <> wrote:

    >But, then you can get the same from your local camera store. Minus all of
    >the shipping and waiting. Big whoopee!

    Noooooo, I can't.

    My local store, even though it is one of the biggest in the SF Bay
    Area, has only a small fraction of the floor space of B&H. And the
    prices are much higher in many cases. (Add the 8.25% sales tax!) And
    some of the salespeople, not all of them in all fairness, have this
    "attitude."

    So when I need something "big," I either order it online from B&H or I
    get it when I'm in NYC and making my "pilgrimage" to their store on
    32nd Street.

    And I Ave had to return several items to them. Only "issue" is that
    you have to ask for the return and explain why. Zero hassles, really.

    But don't take my word for it. Look at what over 2700 people have had
    to say here:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/B_H_Photo_Video_Pro_Audio

    Life time rating 9.36/10! That is darn good for anyone.

    Pere Kodak
    Father Kodak, Dec 26, 2006
  16. Oliver Costich

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:53:32 -0800, Little Juice Coupe wrote
    (in article <45918bc9$0$80092$>):

    > But, then you can get the same from your local camera store. Minus all of
    > the shipping and waiting. Big whoopee!

    I sure can't. My "local" camera store is more than an hour away and does not
    carry much of anything. Heck, the grocery store and gas station are ten miles
    from here, and they are in a town so small it does not show up in
    www.city-data.com. For us who live in the sticks, Internet shopping has
    replaced Gummy Wards catalogs.
    C J Campbell, Dec 27, 2006
  17. Oliver Costich

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:43:17 -0800, Chuck wrote
    (in article <oXekh.15800$>):

    > My experience was that B&H and others use the "bait and switch" routine. As
    > a result, I don't do business with them.

    I have never heard of B&H or Adorama doing "bait and switch." I have never
    experienced it despite many years of working with them.

    Are you sure you are not confusing them with someone else?
    C J Campbell, Dec 27, 2006
  18. Oliver Costich

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:29:08 -0800, Oliver Costich wrote
    (in article <>):

    > They received the original flash last Friday and the refund was
    > processed yesterday. Given the holiday, that's immediately. B&H may
    > not always have the absolutely lowest prices (but they are very good),
    > but no place that sells for less has the inventory or service that
    > provide.
    >
    > No, I don't work for them or have any other stake other than wanting
    > to keep them in business.

    I have had the same experience with B&H. They process refunds very rapidly.
    B&H and Adorama seem to be the most trustworthy places to shop -- better than
    Amazon.
    C J Campbell, Dec 27, 2006
  19. Neither have I. I like to shop local whenever possible, but when I want the
    best deal I look online. B&H has always been up front and honest. If not
    having the best price at least you know you want get shafted. Though I don't
    think their 7 day return policy is right or fair. The fact that the item has
    to be post marked within the 7 days really limits what you can do. The least
    they could do is give you 14 days and as long as you got the RMA # within
    the 14 days and have sent the item out (postmarked) no more than 7 days
    after that. That would be a much more fair return policy. I might actually
    shop with the more.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Dec 27, 2006
  20. Hi ljc,

    > But, then you can get the same from your local camera store. Minus all of
    > the shipping and waiting. Big whoopee!

    My local camera store here in the north west side of San Antonio, Texas, has
    a _tiny_ selection of all the items that you can buy online from places like
    B&H or Adorama. That's like comparing a Walmart store to a small gas
    station.

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas