    businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
    purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

    T.I.
    Talal Itani, Jul 3, 2006

  2. Talal Itani

    badgolferman Guest

    Talal Itani, 7/3/2006, 10:45:00 AM, <M3aqg.1208$543.1165@trnddc04>
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
    > Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the
    > case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon
    > based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons of a
    > product before they make their purchases. Thank you for clarifying
    > this for me.
    >
    > T.I.

    I believe most businesses purchase computers in lots. They buy the
    exact same computer and configure it the same way. In order to buy
    these kind of quantities they purchase their computers from computer
    companies such as Dell or HP. Until these manufacturers drop the Intel
    chips and move over to AMD-based computers you will continue to see
    most large companies staying with Intel. It is really more of an
    economic consideration than technical one for the buyer.

    --
    "Laws are like sausages. It is better not to see them being made." ~
    Otto von Bismarck
    badgolferman, Jul 3, 2006

  3. Talal Itani

    Dave Guest

    "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    > and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    > most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
    > most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
    > their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.
    >
    > T.I.

    Most businesses buy the cheapest workstations they can from Dell, and Dell
    usually uses Intel processors. In other words, the businesses aren't
    choosing the processor.

    BUT, last I checked, Intel processors were actually cheaper. That happened
    because AMD has been kicking Intel's ass for years, performance wise, so AMD
    chips are in great demand. Plus, AMD has not ramped up production capacity
    to match Intel, yet. -Dave
    Dave, Jul 3, 2006
  4. Talal Itani

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    > and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    > most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
    > most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
    > their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.
    >
    > T.I.

    I own two PC's I put together myself, one with the Athlon 2600+, the other
    with the Intel Pentium D dual core. The latter actually runs a bit
    faster(even though both PC's have the WD SATA Raptor drives running at
    10,000 RPM). But it also runs at a higher temp and after nine months was
    beginning to overheat a bit. So I applied some thermal compound the other
    day which has corrected the problem.
    Mark Mandell, Jul 3, 2006
  5. Talal Itani

    Conor Guest

    In article <M3aqg.1208$543.1165@trnddc04>, Talal Itani says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    > and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    > most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
    > businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
    > purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

    Athlon for Gaming, Pentium for Media Encoding/image manipulation.

    Why do they use Pentiums? Because the mass manufacturer they buy from,
    i.e Dell, have a tie in with Intel so they get better prices.

    And for desktops, most businesses never bother researching anything
    other than the price.

    --
    Conor
    Sig under construction. Please check back when Duke Nukem Forever ships

    Cashback on online purchases:
    http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm
    Conor, Jul 3, 2006
  6. Talal Itani

    Conor Guest

    In article <jvaqg.2331$>, Mark
    Mandell says...

    > "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    > > and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    > > most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
    > > most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
    > > their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.
    > >
    > > T.I.

    > I own two PC's I put together myself, one with the Athlon 2600+, the other
    > with the Intel Pentium D dual core. The latter actually runs a bit
    > faster

    No, really? I wouldn't ever have guessed a processor, a generation
    newer than the other, with dual cores and twice the L2 cache of the
    other would run faster.

    Conor, Jul 3, 2006
  7. Talal Itani

    Travis Guest

    Intel has cheaper and more low-end hardware than AMD. But it does have the
    more powerful processors.

    A Celeron is cheap, but it's not the best (I haven't had many problems with
    it)

    Travis, Jul 3, 2006
  8. Talal Itani

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    > and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    > most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
    > most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
    > their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

    If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central heating
    system.

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 3, 2006
  9. Talal Itani

    Gojira Guest

    Intel is far from cheaper,if you go by CPU's that are comparable in
    speed.Performance and cost are the main reason AMD has become a serious
    competitor for Intel.Until they appeared,Intel pretty much had the market to
    themselves,so businesses got used to using their products.

    Gojira, Jul 3, 2006
  10. Talal Itani

    Don Burnette Guest

    "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    >> reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
    >> Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the
    >> case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based
    >> PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons of a product
    >> before they make their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

    > If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
    > heating
    > system.
    >

    >> T.I.

    Hmm, running Athlon XP64 4400+ dual core here, did not have to bother
    installing a central heating system, runs great and cool!

    Go figure,

    Don
    Don Burnette, Jul 3, 2006
  11. Talal Itani

    Don Freeman Guest

    "Don Burnette" <> wrote in message

    > "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep

    >> If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
    >> heating
    >> system.

    > Hmm, running Athlon XP64 4400+ dual core here, did not have to bother
    > installing a central heating system, runs great and cool!
    >
    > Go figure,
    > Don

    ..

    Silly me, I thought he meant that they didn't have to install a central
    heading system for the building as the Pentium could serve double duty.

    -Don (another one)
    Don Freeman, Jul 3, 2006
  12. Talal Itani

    John Weiss Guest

    "Talal Itani" <> wrote...

    > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    > and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    > most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
    > most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
    > their purchases.

    Not necessarily. Businesses often choose based on perceived risk; Intel is
    better known and has larger market share, so it must be less risky. Also,
    some may have long memories about early AMD CPUs and their incompatibilities
    and performance problems.

    Those problems are far behind AMD. Their CPUs are more than competitive
    with Intel -- Intel is now scrambling to catch up!
    John Weiss, Jul 3, 2006
  13. Talal Itani

    Bioboffin Guest

    Bazzer Smith wrote:
    > "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    >> reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
    >> Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is
    >> the case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not
    >> Athlon based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons
    >> of a product before they make their purchases. Thank you for
    >> clarifying this for me.

    > If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
    > heating system.

    This was once the case. I always buy Intel, and I can tell you that the last
    dual core processor at 3.2Ghz runs quite hot. In my case with aftermarket
    (Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro) cooling, I have 50 degrees Celsius (almost
    regardless of the ambient temperature).

    John
    Bioboffin, Jul 3, 2006
  14. On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:45:00 GMT, "Talal Itani" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    >reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    >and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    >most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
    >businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
    >purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

    Nope most businesses do less research on computer purchasing than gamers
    and other individuals do. They choose a brand name, like Dell or HP,
    negotiate a purchasing deal, usually for volume, and buy them like cookies.
    They tend to like all the client systems to be identical in chipset
    characteristics to minimize the number of system install images IT dept.
    needs to manage. IOW the inertia is high so change is seldom contemplated.

    Things are changing though and AMD is getting a foothold due to superior
    thermal characteristics, especially for servers where upgrading requires
    consideration of power load and A/C load for a glasshouse. See this
    article http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/060506-web-hosts-green.html
    on 2nd page. Unfortunately this AMD advantage is about to be wiped out by
    the latest Core 2 Xeon 5100 series Intel CPUs which have much better energy
    and thermal footprint than previous P4-based Xeons.

    Right now, Intel is in changeover and Xeon 5100 series servers are just
    appearing, while Core 2 desktop systems are due in a few weeks. What you
    buy depends on whether you want to wait or get a good price on a current
    system - personally I'd go for the AMD system right now.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald
    George Macdonald, Jul 3, 2006
  15. Talal Itani

    kony Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    >reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    >and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    >most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
    >businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
    >purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.
    >
    >T.I.

    The answer is simple, like you many management types have no
    idea which is the better choice but know the Intel name
    better. Past business buying habits resulted in a trend to
    buy Intel and although AMD gained substantial ground in
    performance more recently, such brand preferences take
    longer to change, particularly when these businesses tend to
    buy volumes of systems, packages put together under
    assumptions by OEMs that the businesses still preferred AMD.

    Another way to look at it is the most businesses don't have
    "new" systems. Their last site-wide upgrade cycle may have
    been before AMD took the lead with Athlon64 or at least
    before those platforms became mature and best benefit:cost
    ratio.. Businessess tend to like mature and static
    platforms, not buying the latest new technology for a
    performance advantage except where there is a clear
    correlation between performance and productivity- which
    there typically isn't today, for most business uses the user
    is the bottleneck, not the system.
    kony, Jul 3, 2006
  16. Talal Itani

    kony Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 19:18:37 GMT, "Bioboffin"
    <> wrote:

    >Bazzer Smith wrote:
    >> "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    >>> reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
    >>> Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is
    >>> the case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not
    >>> Athlon based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons
    >>> of a product before they make their purchases. Thank you for
    >>> clarifying this for me.

    >> If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
    >> heating system.

    >This was once the case. I always buy Intel, and I can tell you that the last
    >dual core processor at 3.2Ghz runs quite hot. In my case with aftermarket
    >(Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro) cooling, I have 50 degrees Celsius (almost
    >regardless of the ambient temperature).

    Yes, Bazzer Smith seems to merely be repeating hearsay. For
    years the hotter platform depended on the use and specific
    model in the CPU family chosen. There is one particular
    model of CPU with a horrible performance:watt beyond what is
    reasonable for air-cooling a quiet system- Prescott. Intel
    holds this honor and may until the end of time. Even if
    Intel or AMD produces a future CPU with the same heat, it
    will have higher performance:watt and the user can simply
    select lower than the highest speed range in the particular
    CPU family for lower heat.
    kony, Jul 3, 2006
  17. "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message news:M3aqg.1208$543.1165@trnddc04...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    > and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    > most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
    > businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
    > purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

    Primarily because of pathetic chipsets (e.g. VIA, Apollo etc),
    for many years running AMD systems meant constant
    compatibility problems, waiting for chipset and driver updates
    etc etc. The situation has improved over the last few years
    but most large companies are still gun shy.

    By the way, Conroe is looking like it'll be the new preferred
    platform. Intel is finally taking back its former position as
    performance leader.
    Jack F. Twist, Jul 3, 2006
  18. Talal Itani

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Bioboffin" <> wrote in message
    > Bazzer Smith wrote:
    >> "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    >>> reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
    >>> Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is
    >>> the case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not
    >>> Athlon based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons
    >>> of a product before they make their purchases. Thank you for
    >>> clarifying this for me.

    >> If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
    >> heating system.

    > This was once the case. I always buy Intel, and I can tell you that the
    > last dual core processor at 3.2Ghz runs quite hot. In my case with
    > aftermarket (Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro) cooling, I have 50 degrees
    > Celsius (almost regardless of the ambient temperature).
    >
    > John

    Similar situation to my 2.8 Ghz Pentium D dual core which seldom runs below
    50 degrees unless the room temperature is cool via my air conditioning being
    on long enough.

    Mark
    Mark Mandell, Jul 3, 2006
  19. Talal Itani

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Talal Itani wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
    > reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
    > and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
    > most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
    > businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
    > purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

    Most businesses don't really have any choice about which processors they
    buy. They buy from a computer manufacturer, which in the past has had an
    exclusive marketing deal with Intel to only sell their processors to
    businesses. The marketing deals are usually worth millions of dollars to
    these companies and could mean the difference between making a profit or
    a loss in a particular quarter.

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Jul 3, 2006
  20. Talal Itani

    Clint Guest

    My 830D processor is running at idle right now, 39C, room temp is about 25.
    I put on a Scythe Ninja HS, which dropped the temps appreciably. My CPU
    regularly has idle temps less than the MB temps.

    Clint

    Clint, Jul 3, 2006