Why Partition A New Hard Disk/Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Representative Trantis, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. I can understand the need to format a drive, but why do you need to
    partition it? What di programs like FDisk actually do?

    Representative Trantis, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Representative Trantis

    MrToad Guest

    "Representative Trantis" <> Ran in the back door and shouted

    > I can understand the need to format a drive, but why do you need to
    > partition it? What di programs like FDisk actually do?

    The train of thought on partitioning a drive is this:
    OS on the first partition,
    Apps/data on the second, [or more if you like], partitions.
    IF the OS patition becomes borked, you would only need to reinstall the
    OS and restore the app registry entries, [from a backup of the original
    registry].
    This saves hours reinstalling all of your apps and saves the data you
    have generated from said apps.

    I, however just use a second hard drive for this purpose instead of
    multiple partitions on one large drive.
    To each his own...

    HTH

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Representative Trantis

    derek / nul Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:15:48 +0100, "Representative Trantis" <> wrote:

    >I can understand the need to format a drive, but why do you need to
    >partition it? What di programs like FDisk actually do?

    To be able to format a drive it must first be partitioned.

    derek / nul, Oct 14, 2003
  4. Representative Trantis

    Thor Guest

    "Representative Trantis" <> wrote in message
    > I can understand the need to format a drive, but why do you need to
    > partition it? What di programs like FDisk actually do?

    FDISK is a partitioning program for DOS-type partitions. You have to have at
    least one partition on a drive for it to be usable. Many people confuse
    partitioning with having *multiple* partitions. You don't have to have
    multiple partitions unless technical reasons require it, but you must have
    at least one. That one partition might use the entire capacity of the drive.
    It is simply a matter of preparation of any new drive.

    Thor, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Representative Trantis

    Kenny Guest

    Also I've found it useful in the past to have a Drive Image image of my
    primary C: partition on a separate partition. Saved me hours of work when
    disaster struck on C: drive.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 14, 2003
  6. Representative Trantis

    pc-mania Guest

    Hello
    i have some 40 gig hard drives for sale
    if your interested
    £40 delivered
    thanks
    --
    Please Visit:
    www.pc-mania.biz

    For all your computer needs.

    pc-mania, Oct 14, 2003
  7. Representative Trantis

    Trent© Guest

    wrote:

    >I can understand the need to format a drive, but why do you need to
    >partition it? What di programs like FDisk actually do?

    Partitioning prepares the drive to accept the operating system. It
    places key files in key places...places where the computer will look
    for these files each time it boots...and enable it to complete the
    boot process...and load other files of the operating system.

    A drive must be partitioned before it can be formatted.

    FDISK does certain things to the drive...like create a partition...and
    make the partition active, etc. Other similar programs...like
    Partition Magic...can do other things with partitions...like hide
    them, for instance, or resize them.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 15, 2003
  8. Representative Trantis

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > Partitioning prepares the drive to accept the operating system. It
    > places key files in key places.

    Partitioning doesn't do anything like putting files onto the drive

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 15, 2003
  9. Representative Trantis

    HF Guest

    Go to www.computerhope.com and read about Fdisk

    HF, Oct 15, 2003
  10. Representative Trantis

    Spajky Guest

    wrote:

    >I can understand the need to format a drive, but why do you need to
    >partition it?

    you do not need to, but is a good idea to:
    because of:

    -better organisation of data,
    -easier mainteinance of data

    I recommend at least 3 partitions (but max 5) - depends of how large
    HD is:

    - system (OS + programs, few GBs)

    - Data (important stuff not affording to lose, few GBs or more)

    - Trash ( all kinds of temporary non life important data - no harm if
    lost, OS pagefile etc. few GBs or more)

    - LARGEST partition (for other stuff like temporary ghosted backups of
    first two partitions, for large A/V & multimedia stuff, archives of
    different kind DL from net like porn pics etc ... :))) ; restore
    points for OS etc ...

    - a SMALL last partition (few GBs) containing setup files for OS
    copyed from setup CD /not to search everytime for it when wanting to
    change something in system & for faster setup of it/; OS&programs
    patches DL from net not to DL them again when redoing setup; All
    drivers files for hardware you have for the same reason, licence
    numbers if CDs get lost, a copy of mbr & partition table if gets
    screwed together with a program which did it; last AV database DL-ed
    from Net etc ....
    Here can be installed also a small stripped Win Emergency
    install (I have a stripped lifesaver Win95B -12Mb) OS if the first
    gets TL wacked to use it for Net connection to get OL help if you have
    only one machine in the house not to bother neighbours...

    advantages:

    - faster & separate (or partial) check of HD pies with ScanDisk,
    Antivirus, Defragmenter, data recovering if lost, formating when
    needed (you first can format only 1 (C) partition, the others can be
    done later within OS (faster).

    disadvantage:

    - at the beginning a bit more of "brain exercize" & few letters more
    in win Explorer later ...

    also is advisable to fix letters of removable & optical drives to last
    letters if inserting (w9x) additional new disk later not to screw
    shortcuts to your CD files ...

    .... with these days large disks, I recommend partitioning its space
    like upper mentioned in ratio 10:10:10: 60 :10 (if having a 100Gb disk
    that would be also partition sizes in Gb)

    .... a lot of guys will disagree with this mine recommended
    configuration, but thru years for me confirmed to be the optimal
    solution ( I have 3x 2Gb + 12 + 2Gb on 20Gb HD) (well I have also a
    smaller spare HD apart on which I compressed can make a back up of
    whole my first drive in case of emergencies (comp.theft, HD dead, etc)

    I am not paranoid, but the life has learned me to take precautions ..
    do not trust computers to much; there are viruses, non reliable
    hardvare, ... & the most dangerous: the USER ! :))))

    >What di programs like FDisk actually do?

    it put marks (anchors, hooks) on the disk that OS can manage it space
    for storage of files ; its like shelfs in the library ...

    .... have a nice time ...

    -- Regards, SPAJKY
    & visit site - http://www.spajky.vze.com
    Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky, Oct 15, 2003
  11. Representative Trantis

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:36:30 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> Partitioning prepares the drive to accept the operating system. It
    >> places key files in key places.

    >Partitioning doesn't do anything like putting files onto the drive

    It didn't say it puts any files on the drive.

    I said it places key files in key places. And it does.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 15, 2003
  12. Representative Trantis

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > I said it places key files in key places. And it does.

    It does nothing of the sort.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 15, 2003
  13. Representative Trantis

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in

    > you do not need to, but is a good idea to:
    > because of:

    This entire thing is horrible advice that almost always ends up with no
    space on one partition and wasted space on others. Then you go "Hmm, I
    don't have any room on my apps partition, so I'll install this app onto my
    data partition" and you break the system anyhow. Also, partitioning is not
    optional. A hard drive can not be used by Windows, Linux, or the Mac OS
    without being partitioned.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 15, 2003
  14. Representative Trantis

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote in
    >
    >> you do not need to, but is a good idea to:
    >> because of:
    >>

    > This entire thing is horrible advice that almost always ends up with
    > no space on one partition and wasted space on others. Then you go
    > "Hmm, I don't have any room on my apps partition, so I'll install
    > this app onto my data partition" and you break the system anyhow.
    > Also, partitioning is not optional. A hard drive can not be used by
    > Windows, Linux, or the Mac OS without being partitioned.

    I like it, keeps me from having to reinstall everything, and if
    something is to small or big, I just use partition magic to resize it and
    everything is alright. I have very little space on my windows partiton, but
    I like it that way...enough room to expand and add updates and patches, and
    nothing else. And I also add a seperate partition on a seperate HD for my
    swap file (at the front of the drive), so photoshop is always fed :)

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 15, 2003
  15. Representative Trantis

    V W Wall Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    > > I said it places key files in key places. And it does.

    > It does nothing of the sort.

    You've dropped your troll lure--let's see if he bites!

    Virg Wall

    PS: For an in-depth look at what fdisk does:

    http://www.geocities/thestarman3/asm/mbr/FDISK98.htm

    If you can call sectors of F6h key files, Trent is correct.

    VWW
    --

    It is vain to do with more
    what can be done with fewer.

    V W Wall, Oct 15, 2003
  16. Representative Trantis

    V W Wall Guest

    V W Wall wrote:

    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > >
    > > Trent© <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > I said it places key files in key places. And it does.

    > > It does nothing of the sort.
    > >

    > You've dropped your troll lure--let's see if he bites!
    >
    > Virg Wall
    >
    > PS: For an in-depth look at what fdisk does:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/asm/mbr/FDISK98.htm

    That site is oftenb busy. Here's a mirror:

    http://thestarman.narod.ru/asm/mbr/FDISK.htm

    VWW
    --

    It is vain to do with more
    what can be done with fewer.

    V W Wall, Oct 15, 2003
  17. Representative Trantis

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:59:20 +0200, Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:15:48 +0100, "Representative Trantis" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I can understand the need to format a drive, but why do you need to
    >>partition it?

    >you do not need to, but is a good idea to:
    >because of:

    Because of...

    You might want to USE the drive.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 16, 2003
  18. Representative Trantis

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:40:35 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> I said it places key files in key places. And it does.

    >It does nothing of the sort.

    Sure it does.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 16, 2003
  19. Representative Trantis

    apple2012

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2010
    Messages:
    8
    partition hard drive

    Get further information, read the article as they introduced to me--Guidelines on how to partition a hard drive by Creating, Deleting, Formatting and Resizing Partition.
    You wiil find your answer, maybe.

    apple2012, Sep 9, 2010