    lbbss Guest

    Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
    view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.
    lbbss, Feb 3, 2008

  2. "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
    > view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.

    Part of the problem may be that jpg images have a thumbnail image stored in
    the file and that is what Windows displays. Tiff does not (as far as I
    know). So Windows would have to load the entire image and resize it (make a
    thumbnail) for each image. This would take time and make displaying a folder
    with many images even slower.

    There may be a solution but either the thumbnail has to be created in
    advance (causing a possible disconnect between the thumbnail and an edited
    image) or the thumbnail has to be created at use and slow display.

    Good luck

    Randy
    Randy Berbaum, Feb 3, 2008

  3. lbbss

    John Navas Guest

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:31:26 -0800 (PST), lbbss <> wrote
    in <>:

    >Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
    >view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.

    What version of Windows? I get TIFF thumbnails in Windows XP Explorer.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 3, 2008
  4. lbbss

    John Navas Guest

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 22:08:53 -0600, "Randy Berbaum"
    <> wrote in <fo3eol$49c$>:

    >"lbbss" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
    >> view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.

    >Part of the problem may be that jpg images have a thumbnail image stored in
    >the file and that is what Windows displays. Tiff does not (as far as I
    >know).

    TIFF files can contain multiple image formats, including a small preview
    image, albeit not necessarily.

    >So Windows would have to load the entire image and resize it (make a
    >thumbnail) for each image. This would take time and make displaying a folder
    >with many images even slower.
    >
    >There may be a solution but either the thumbnail has to be created in
    >advance (causing a possible disconnect between the thumbnail and an edited
    >image) or the thumbnail has to be created at use and slow display.

    Windows XP displays TIFF thumbnails reasonably quickly, and normally
    caches the result for reuse.

    John Navas, Feb 3, 2008
  5. lbbss

    in <>:

    >Is there any plug-ins or codec that I can get to give me thumb nail
    >view of tiffs, in windows explorer? thanks.

    If you're running Windows XP SP2, and thumbnail isn't working properly,
    you might want to try installing the Windows Imaging Component
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8E011506-6307-445B-B950-215DEF45DDD8&displaylang=en>

    John Navas, Feb 3, 2008
  6. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4
    lbbss, Feb 3, 2008
  7. lbbss

    John Bean Guest

    On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:28:38 -0800 (PST), lbbss
    <> wrote:

    >I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4

    Google is your friend. The phrase "image thumbnails
    explorer" will do the trick - I'd guess the second hit might
    do the job.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Feb 3, 2008
  8. lbbss

    John Navas Guest

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:54:53 +0000, John Bean <>
    wrote in <>:

    >On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:28:38 -0800 (PST), lbbss
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4

    >Google is your friend. The phrase "image thumbnails
    >explorer" will do the trick - I'd guess the second hit might
    >do the job.

    1. Google searches won't always return the same order.

    2. ST Thumbnails Explorer won't do what the OP wants.

    John Navas, Feb 3, 2008
  9. lbbss

    John Bean Guest

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:59:31 GMT, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:54:53 +0000, John Bean <>
    >wrote in <>:
    >
    >>On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:28:38 -0800 (PST), lbbss
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I should mention that I have win 2000. sp4

    >>Google is your friend. The phrase "image thumbnails
    >>explorer" will do the trick - I'd guess the second hit might
    >>do the job.

    >1. Google searches won't always return the same order.

    True

    >2. ST Thumbnails Explorer won't do what the OP wants.

    Perhaps, but I'll bet one of them will. The point was to
    encourage a bit of simple research rather than expecting
    someone else to do the work for you.

    Self-reliance is rarely a bad thing - especially when the
    information is so easy to find.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Feb 3, 2008
  10. lbbss

    John Navas Guest

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:59:08 +0000, John Bean <>
    wrote in <>:

    >On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:59:31 GMT, John Navas
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:54:53 +0000, John Bean <>
    >>wrote in <>:

    >>>Google is your friend. The phrase "image thumbnails
    >>>explorer" will do the trick - I'd guess the second hit might
    >>>do the job.

    >>1. Google searches won't always return the same order.

    >True
    >
    >>2. ST Thumbnails Explorer won't do what the OP wants.

    >Perhaps, but I'll bet one of them will.

    What odds? I know of only a very few packages that enhance Explorer
    thumbnail capability, none of which work with Windows 2000.

    >The point was to
    >encourage a bit of simple research rather than expecting
    >someone else to do the work for you.
    >
    >Self-reliance is rarely a bad thing - especially when the
    >information is so easy to find.

    Fair enough, but how is it on point to give the OP advice that doesn't
    help, and how do you know the OP hasn't tried and failed? This is a
    tough nut to crack.

    John Navas, Feb 3, 2008
  11. lbbss

    John Bean Guest

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 22:01:17 GMT, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:59:08 +0000, John Bean <>
    >wrote in <>:

    >>Perhaps, but I'll bet one of them will.

    >What odds? I know of only a very few packages that enhance Explorer
    >thumbnail capability, none of which work with Windows 2000.

    None work with Win2k? What an odd (and completely wrong I'll
    add) assertion to make. I just installed one of them - now
    third on the hits as of a moment ago - and it works
    perfectly on my Win2k SP4 box. I wasn't surprised, it
    claimed to work on any Windows version from Win95 onwards.

    Incidentally that's the one I expected the OP to find and
    try.

    >Fair enough, but how is it on point to give the OP advice that doesn't
    >help, and how do you know the OP hasn't tried and failed? This is a
    >tough nut to crack.

    Whatever. Argue with yourself in the corner, I'm deaf to
    your nonsense.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Feb 3, 2008
  12. lbbss

    John Navas Guest

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 22:39:59 +0000, John Bean <>
    wrote in <>:

    >On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 22:01:17 GMT, John Navas
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:59:08 +0000, John Bean <>
    >>wrote in <>:

    >>>Perhaps, but I'll bet one of them will.

    >>What odds? I know of only a very few packages that enhance Explorer
    >>thumbnail capability, none of which work with Windows 2000.

    >None work with Win2k? What an odd (and completely wrong I'll
    >add) assertion to make. I just installed one of them - now
    >third on the hits as of a moment ago - and it works
    >perfectly on my Win2k SP4 box. I wasn't surprised, it
    >claimed to work on any Windows version from Win95 onwards.

    Any good reason why you're still not naming names? Still just being
    cute, or perhaps because it isn't the link you first mentioned, and
    you've now scrambled to a different link? ;)

    So I have to guess, which is that you're now referring to Xentient
    Thumbnails <http://www.xentient.com/products/thumbnails/>. It's
    actually *not* what the OP was asking for -- it replaces (small) *icons*
    with previews, rather than enhancing Windows Explorer (larger and more
    capable) *thumbnail* capability, and thus won't help in all cases -- but
    is at least close enough to be a reasonable answer. It has a downside,
    however, a *huge* performance hit when opening a folder with lots of
    images, unlike thumbnails, which are cached by Windows.

    >Incidentally that's the one I expected the OP to find and
    >try.

    But you chose to be rude, pedantic and ambiguous, instead of
    unambiguously pointing him to your answer

    >>Fair enough, but how is it on point to give the OP advice that doesn't
    >>help, and how do you know the OP hasn't tried and failed? This is a
    >>tough nut to crack.

    >Whatever. Argue with yourself in the corner, I'm deaf to
    >your nonsense.

    Not to mention rude. Are you this testy by nature, or do you have to
    work at it?

    John Navas, Feb 3, 2008