    reporting 2Mb/sec, not 11. I have a laptop upstairs on another floor
    with a Netgear PCMCIA card in it getting 11Mbs. Why would that be?

    -Jim

    jtpr, Feb 16, 2007

  2. jtpr

    Frankster Guest

    Gotta be something wrong with the signal, or negotiations. 2Mb is not even a
    primary supported speed. It is a "fall-back" speed that would occur during
    link negotiations. Since you are getting 11Mb to this same router, in a more
    remote location of your house with another adapter, I would suspect the
    Wg311v3 adapter.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Feb 16, 2007

  3. Hi
    No 802.11b Wireless can provide 11Mb/sec.
    11Mb/sec. is the rating of the chipset work not the functional Bandwidth
    (Speed) produce by the system.
    A typical well tune 802.11b at a distance of 3' would yield 6-8Mb/sec. less
    with WEP On.
    The number that you read on various configuration screens are not
    necessarily Real. To measure the actual "Speed" transfer large file between
    through networked computers and measure the time and compute the rate.
    As a frame of reference, http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 16, 2007