    a demo of their crap(funk) because only the client is instally with the
    linksys utilty? Very annoying!
    Frank L
    Frank, Jul 12, 2005

  2. This is probably to supply WPA2 security. Most of the drivers I've
    seen so far for Broadcom and Atheros based radios use a supplicant
    like Aegis to provide WPA2. This integrates fine with WZC.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Hello Barb,
    That would be fine, but I am using the Linksys utility, not WZC? Also,
    Linksys, of course, says it doesnot install this client? Very weird. As
    stated, ONLY the client is installed. I will attempt a registry disection to
    remedy this annoyance. I had wondered if I would be better off just
    installing the drivers and using WZC? The only real problem I have is XP
    takes literally 3 minutes to find the WPC54gs at boot? BTW, I really enjoy
    your articles, they are great! (right person?)
    Frank L

    Frank, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Glad you like my columns ;-)

    I would recommend using the native Windows wireless utility and not
    the Linksys one. When you look at the Network protocols, does the
    supplicant show as bound to the connection? You can uncheck the box.
    Them check services and set the unwanted service to disabled (but do
    also not disable WZC if you are using it).

    I don't know what dependencies might be written into the Linksys
    driver - Also I'm not surprised at their tech support not being
    knowledgeable.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Barb,
    I uninstalled Linksys utility and drivers(which also removed the ody
    client)and reinstalled drivers only. Enabled WZC, works like a charm. Also,
    boots up normally now also, even with Zonealarm and AVG. Evidently the
    Linksys Utility was having a hard time finding it's OWN device? Go figure. I
    did notice the the router WRT54GS has all the wpa, wpa2, wpa2 with this and
    that, etc. Card only has wpa and wpa -PSK. It does allow AES which I know is
    basically WPA2(?) Is it worth looking for a card thats has all the extra
    security features as the router does? Sounds like overkill but I am a very
    paranoid guy. ;-) and the cards are very cheap.
    Thanks for your help and columns

    >>> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

    Frank, Jul 13, 2005
  6. Glad it is resolved. Look for a new column soon on WPA2.

    AES and WPA2 are not identical. WPA2 requires a specific encryption
    type to meet specific federal reqs.

    I'm guessing that if you were to reinstall the driver but not run the
    utility and setup the router for WPA2 that you'd have WPA2. But you'd
    also have that client program you wanted to get rid of.

    There's some info in my blog on WPA2 drivers...

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Jul 13, 2005
  7. Frank

    Frank Guest

    The card drop down menu with latest drivers (WPC54GS) does not include an
    option, only wep,wpa psk,wpa radius. That' s it. You would think the GS card
    would match the capabilities of the GS router? Too logical for linksys I
    Guess

    Frank, Jul 14, 2005
  8. that card is listed at the wi-fi.org site as wpa2 certified. lots of
    cards from all kinds of vendors are listed as wpa2 certified but the
    drivers are not yet available. see my blog and my upcoming Expert Zone
    column for comments on that situation.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP