    Is there something wrong with using a WPA PSK?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob Williamson, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Bob Williamson

    jwh20 Guest

    To quote the WPA spec:

    "The user of pre-shared key is recommended for home use only. When the
    PSK is used as the PMK, impersonation between stations or a station
    impersonating an AP is possible."

    Bottom line is that WPA-PSK is a compromise (better than WEP however)
    for users without the benefit of a RADIUS server implemtation. That
    would be most home and SOHO users.

    OK?
    jwh20, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Yep, thanks you for your reply. In case your curious, we will only be using
    wireless for presentations, occasional roaming etc. At MOST 3-4 people at a
    time, at least initially.

    Assuming I can automate the passing out of a PSK via GPO (beginning with
    W2K SP1) I think I will go that route. Handing out a PSK manually (on a
    sticky note or via email for example) would be way to big of a compromise,
    but via GPO...well I feel comfortable with that.

    Eventually I suppose I will have to look forward to Radius/IAS, but hey, I
    am a one person IT dept......

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Bob Williamson, Mar 17, 2005