    small setups (read: cheap).

    Is it because their CODECs suck, or they don't support enough of them?

    Thanks.
    John Doe, May 1, 2006

  2. "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    ----- Original Message -----

    > Hi
    >
    > I browsed through the archives, but didn't find a very good
    > explanation as to why we can't use a good voice modem as FXO card
    > for small setups (read: cheap).
    >
    > Is it because their CODECs suck, or they don't support enough of them?

    As far as I know, most (all?) voice modems are half-duplex: they can send
    or receive voice, but can't do both things at the same time. Moreover,
    their codecs are usually based on some variant of ADPCM, and the driver
    should transcode the data into some other format suitable for VoIP. All in
    all, it's just not worth the trouble.

    On the other hand, some Winmodems (or Linmodems, if we prefer a
    Penguinically-correct designation ;-) ), i.e. data modems where the data
    modulation/demodulation is offloaded to the CPU, can be adapted as FXO
    cards just rewriting their software drivers. This is not trivial
    (requiring the knowledge of the specific hardware) but was done by Digium
    for two models, one based on a Motorola chipset and another on an Intel
    chipset. They used to be sold under the names "x100p" and "x101p"
    respectively. Digium has now discontinued them, but there are still
    several third-party vendors of compatible hardware: just check the hits at
    http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=x100p .

    See also: http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=X100P clone

    Enzo
    Enzo Michelangeli, May 1, 2006

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Mon, 1 May 2006 15:27:30 +0800, "Enzo Michelangeli"
    <-ip.com> wrote:
    (snip)

    Thanks for the links. I'm about to order a couple of those X10?p cards
    for my first test Asterisk setup, and see how they fare.
    John Doe, May 1, 2006
  4. Raqueeb Hassan, May 1, 2006
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On 1 May 2006 10:28:35 -0700, "Raqueeb Hassan" <>
    wrote:
    >IMHO, most clones can't display the incoming call's callerID.

    Uh-oh... That's an important feature :-/

    Does someone know about real clones as advertised on eBay
    (http://search.ebay.com/fxo-asterisk), such as...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9719116318
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9718408471
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9720092845
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9718298351
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9718788040

    Thank you.
    John Doe, May 1, 2006
  6. John Doe

    Guest

    I dont think its impossible. I read somewhere that Intel 537 chipset
    modems can function as an FXO. But I havent tried that out myself.
    But at the moment I have sucessfully used a hardware modem (not a
    softmodem) as a full duplex VOIP-PSTN gateway, that can route calls.
    (Usually the modem's audio driver is half duplex.)

    Rochana
    , May 1, 2006
  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On 1 May 2006 15:58:15 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:
    >But at the moment I have sucessfully used a hardware modem (not a
    >softmodem) as a full duplex VOIP-PSTN gateway, that can route calls.
    >(Usually the modem's audio driver is half duplex.)

    Cool. Reference? Support for caller ID? :)
    John Doe, May 2, 2006
  8. John Doe

    Rochana N Guest

    Rochana N, May 2, 2006
  9. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On 1 May 2006 19:16:59 -0700, "Rochana N" <> wrote:
    >DLink DFM562I is the modem.

    Thx.
    John Doe, May 2, 2006