    been released on video??? While it is a "cheesy" film, it is one of the
    better '50s SciFi B movies from that era.

    Thank you...........dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 11, 2005

  2. "Lookingglass" <> wrote:

    > Does anyone here know the reason why THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN has never
    > been released on video??? While it is a "cheesy" film, it is one of the
    > better '50s SciFi B movies from that era.

    Write to Universal Home Video and ask.

    -- jayembee

    Hannibal Fortune, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Lookingglass

    Richard C. Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone here know the reason why THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN has
    > never been released on video??? While it is a "cheesy" film, it is one of
    > the better '50s SciFi B movies from that era.

    ===========================
    It will be released only when all newsgroups turn red.

    Richard C., Jul 11, 2005
  4. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    > It will be released only when all newsgroups turn red.

    Do you think there is a WAR OF THE WORLDS connection...? Maybe MARTIANS???

    dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Lookingglass

    manitou Guest

    Lookingglass wrote:

    > Does anyone here know the reason why THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN has never
    > been released on video??? While it is a "cheesy" film, it is one of the
    > better '50s SciFi B movies from that era.
    >
    > Thank you...........dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    Probably some arcane reason, like a copyright glitch or perhaps the
    elements are in poor condition and no one wants to pay for the restoration.

    C.

    manitou, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    "manitou" <> wrote in message
    > Lookingglass wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone here know the reason why THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN has
    >> never been released on video??? While it is a "cheesy" film, it is one of
    >> the better '50s SciFi B movies from that era.
    >>
    >> Thank you...........dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    > Probably some arcane reason, like a copyright glitch or perhaps the
    > elements are in poor condition and no one wants to pay for the
    > restoration.
    >
    > C.

    I have seen it on TV every once in a while... as I remember, it looked OK to
    my eyes. It's curious though... I saw a short documentary on TCM the other
    night about the SCI/FI films of the '50s... and a number of Hollywood
    honchos including Spielberg mentioned that this was one of the best, because
    of it's "philosophy"...

    Maybe copyright is the answer... although every other crap '50s Sci/Fi has
    been put out pretty much.

    Thanks...................dave

    Lookingglass, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Lookingglass

    manitou Guest

    Lookingglass quoted/wrote:

    >>Probably some arcane reason, like a copyright glitch or perhaps the
    >>elements are in poor condition and no one wants to pay for the
    >>restoration.

    > I have seen it on TV every once in a while... as I remember, it looked OK to
    > my eyes. It's curious though... I saw a short documentary on TCM the other
    > night about the SCI/FI films of the '50s... and a number of Hollywood
    > honchos including Spielberg mentioned that this was one of the best, because
    > of it's "philosophy"...
    >
    > Maybe copyright is the answer... although every other crap '50s Sci/Fi has
    > been put out pretty much.
    >
    > Thanks...................dave

    No question it was a near-instant cult classic, but the initial release
    was such a box office bomb many theatres yanked it after a few days.

    There could be any number of reasons for the lack of DVD, especially
    given the number of forgotten/forgettable movies which *have* been released.

    I still remember the noted Toronto movie reviewer Clyde Gilmour
    discussing it at length on CBC television.

    C.

    manitou, Jul 12, 2005
  8. Lookingglass

    JazzGuyy Guest

    It was released as a laser disc in the late '80s or early '90s and it
    looked pretty good so I suspect the elements are decent. I suspect
    there are rights issues involved.

    JazzGuyy, Jul 12, 2005
  9. Lookingglass

    Jim Nason Guest

    > Does anyone here know the reason why THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN has
    > never been released on video??? While it is a "cheesy" film, it is one of
    > the better '50s SciFi B movies from that era.
    >
    > Thank you...........dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    Have you considered lack of interest on the part of Universal? I know that
    many of us grew up with great admiration of Universal Horror and Science
    Fiction films, but there are a number of these missing from DVD. On
    laserdisc, Universal issued two box sets of such films. Some of them are on
    DVD now, but many are not.

    I believe if they were all released they would sell reasonably well, but the
    studio seems not to know that. Obviously, we are not talking best sellers,
    but if you look at the many obscure movies now appearing on the format, you
    wonder why the studios aren't doing better with this genre.

    Where are all the Roger Corman monster films of the 1950s, many from
    American International? They would sell if they were issued. Rights issues
    can be solved easily by throwing money at them.

    Jim Nason

    Jim Nason, Jul 12, 2005
  10. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:22:45 -0400, "Jim Nason"
    <> wrote:

    >"Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone here know the reason why THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN has
    >> never been released on video??? While it is a "cheesy" film, it is one of
    >> the better '50s SciFi B movies from that era.
    >>
    >> Thank you...........dave... www.Shemakhan.com
    >>

    >Have you considered lack of interest on the part of Universal? I know that
    >many of us grew up with great admiration of Universal Horror and Science
    >Fiction films, but there are a number of these missing from DVD. On
    >laserdisc, Universal issued two box sets of such films. Some of them are on
    >DVD now, but many are not.
    >
    >I believe if they were all released they would sell reasonably well, but the
    >studio seems not to know that. Obviously, we are not talking best sellers,
    >but if you look at the many obscure movies now appearing on the format, you
    >wonder why the studios aren't doing better with this genre.
    >
    >Where are all the Roger Corman monster films of the 1950s, many from
    >American International? They would sell if they were issued. Rights issues
    >can be solved easily by throwing money at them.
    >
    >Jim Nason

    "Monolith Monsters" and "Mole People" are among Universal's most
    popular budget titles, endlessly reposted in the alt.binaries movies
    groups and a good seller on Ebay for the laserdisc boxes. Universal
    hasn't a clue...

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 12, 2005
  11. Lookingglass wrote:
    > Does anyone here know the reason why THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN has never
    > been released on video??? While it is a "cheesy" film, it is one of the
    > better '50s SciFi B movies from that era.

    Hell, for that matter, why hasn't thye original King Kong been released
    on DVD??? And until just recently, Fay Wray was still alive and able to
    do a commentary track. Can you imagine that??? Priceless, and the
    idiots let it get away.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 12, 2005
  12. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in message
    > Hell, for that matter, why hasn't thye original King Kong been released on
    > DVD??? And until just recently, Fay Wray was still alive and able to do a
    > commentary track. Can you imagine that??? Priceless, and the idiots let
    > it get away.
    >
    > John Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

    I think that one is being held back until the new Jackson KK is released in
    December... I saw a trailer for the new one and it looks great. I still have
    my Criterion release.

    dave............. www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 12, 2005
  13. Lookingglass

    jayembee Guest

    The Man Behind The Curtain <> wrote:

    > Hell, for that matter, why hasn't thye original King Kong been released
    > on DVD??? And until just recently, Fay Wray was still alive and able to
    > do a commentary track. Can you imagine that??? Priceless, and the
    > idiots let it get away.

    No, they didn't. Warner has been working on a complete restoration of KING KONG.
    It's likely that they'll release it at the end of the year as a tie-in to Peter
    Jackson's remake.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 12, 2005
  14. jayembee wrote:
    > The Man Behind The Curtain <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hell, for that matter, why hasn't thye original King Kong been released
    >>on DVD??? And until just recently, Fay Wray was still alive and able to
    >>do a commentary track. Can you imagine that??? Priceless, and the
    >>idiots let it get away.

    > No, they didn't. Warner has been working on a complete restoration of KING KONG.
    > It's likely that they'll release it at the end of the year as a tie-in to Peter
    > Jackson's remake.

    I hope so. But do you know if it has Fay Wray commentary?

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 13, 2005
  15. Lookingglass wrote:
    > "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hell, for that matter, why hasn't thye original King Kong been released on
    >>DVD??? And until just recently, Fay Wray was still alive and able to do a
    >>commentary track. Can you imagine that??? Priceless, and the idiots let
    >>it get away.
    >>
    >>John Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

    > I think that one is being held back until the new Jackson KK is released in
    > December...

    They've had plenty of time to release it long before Jackson declared he
    was remaking it. And I don't have high hopes for the remake.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 13, 2005
  16. On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:21:54 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain
    <> wrote:

    >jayembee wrote:
    >> The Man Behind The Curtain <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hell, for that matter, why hasn't thye original King Kong been released
    >>>on DVD??? And until just recently, Fay Wray was still alive and able to
    >>>do a commentary track. Can you imagine that??? Priceless, and the
    >>>idiots let it get away.

    >> No, they didn't. Warner has been working on a complete restoration of KING KONG.
    >> It's likely that they'll release it at the end of the year as a tie-in to Peter
    >> Jackson's remake.

    >I hope so. But do you know if it has Fay Wray commentary?

    If Fay were to have recorded a commentary she would have done so with
    an existing print of the film, since the restoration doesn't actually
    add much, other than better quality and a few seconds of precode
    stuff. Warner would have known Fay wouldn't be around forever.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 13, 2005
  17. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in message

    (snip)
    > And I don't have high hopes for the remake.
    >

    > John
    >
    > Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

    I saw a very short trailer of the new KK... it looked promising... Judging
    from his LOTR trilogy, I think I will enjoy the new one as a different
    experience, rather than a try to "remake" the '33 KK. I'm a sucker for
    "suspend your belief" types of film... particularly when done well. Last
    night I finally watched I ROBOT... good film IMHO. It is easy to nitpick
    some of these movies, but they are after all just movies. Sit back and try
    to enjoy.

    dave............... www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 13, 2005
  18. Lookingglass wrote:
    > "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in message
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >>And I don't have high hopes for the remake.
    >>

    >>John
    >>
    >>Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

    > I saw a very short trailer of the new KK... it looked promising... Judging
    > from his LOTR trilogy, I think I will enjoy the new one as a different
    > experience, rather than a try to "remake" the '33 KK. I'm a sucker for
    > "suspend your belief" types of film... particularly when done well. Last
    > night I finally watched I ROBOT... good film IMHO.

    Sigh...that's the audience he's probably going for. That's why I don't
    hvae a lot of hopes for the remake.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 14, 2005
  19. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    Jackson KING KONG remake (was Why Not Released???)

    > Lookingglass wrote:
    >> "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >> I saw a very short trailer of the new KK... it looked promising...
    >> Judging from his LOTR trilogy, I think I will enjoy the new one as a
    >> different experience, rather than a try to "remake" the '33 KK. I'm a
    >> sucker for "suspend your belief" types of film... particularly when done
    >> well. Last night I finally watched I ROBOT... good film IMHO.

    > Sigh...that's the audience he's probably going for. That's why I don't
    > hvae a lot of hopes for the remake.
    >
    > John

    Which audience? The ones who like LOTR?.. the ones who like to "suspend
    your disbelief?... the ones who finally got to see I ROBOT? And what would
    you hope for in a remake of KK?... or would you NOT like to see a remake? I
    think the last remake of BEAU GEST... (oops... sorry) I mean the last remake
    of KK was horrible...I'm very interested to hear your opinion...

    dave................... www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 14, 2005
  20. Lookingglass

    Justin Guest

    Re: Jackson KING KONG remake (was Why Not Released???)

    Lookingglass wrote on [Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:59:47 -0700]:

    > "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in message
    >> Lookingglass wrote:
    >>> "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...
    >>> I saw a very short trailer of the new KK... it looked promising...
    >>> Judging from his LOTR trilogy, I think I will enjoy the new one as a
    >>> different experience, rather than a try to "remake" the '33 KK. I'm a
    >>> sucker for "suspend your belief" types of film... particularly when done
    >>> well. Last night I finally watched I ROBOT... good film IMHO.

    >> Sigh...that's the audience he's probably going for. That's why I don't
    >> hvae a lot of hopes for the remake.
    >>
    >> John

    > Which audience? The ones who like LOTR?.. the ones who like to "suspend
    > your disbelief?... the ones who finally got to see I ROBOT? And what would
    > you hope for in a remake of KK?... or would you NOT like to see a remake? I
    > think the last remake of BEAU GEST... (oops... sorry) I mean the last remake
    > of KK was horrible...I'm very interested to hear your opinion...

    The type that thought iRobot was a good film.

    Justin, Jul 14, 2005