    Question: What exactly is Superbit, and if it's so good, why don't
    they release all DVDs in that format, in fact why didn't they
    incorporate Superbit into the original DVD standard?

    Eric Gadfsa, May 5, 2004

  2. Eric Gadfsa

    Biz Guest

    "Eric Gadfsa" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Question: What exactly is Superbit, and if it's so good, why don't
    > they release all DVDs in that format, in fact why didn't they
    > incorporate Superbit into the original DVD standard?

    Superbit is nothing special as far as DVD standards are concerned. It just
    means that they (hopefully) took extra care and used as much bandwidth for
    audio and video as possible, and of course they are all DTS with a 2.0 DD
    compatibility track. So I'm sure that anyone that doesnt have a DD-equipped
    setup, would scream to high heaven as well.

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=superbit+dvds>

    Biz, May 5, 2004

  3. Eric Gadfsa

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > Question: What exactly is Superbit, and if it's so good, why don't
    > they release all DVDs in that format, in fact why didn't they
    > incorporate Superbit into the original DVD standard?

    Superbit is just a marketing tactic, so there's nothing to incorporate.
    It's simply a release where Columbia has dedicated an entire DVD's bit
    budget to the movie itself, and there are no "extras" contained on the disc.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 5, 2004
  4. Eric Gadfsa

    Bratboy Guest

    Another reason is ppl like extras. Most often Superbit versions have none of
    the extra's you find on a regular release as the redon Audio/video takes up
    all the space. At least thats how it was explained to me once upon a time.
    You buy Superbit if you love the movie and dont care about the extras.

    Bratboy, May 5, 2004
  5. Eric Gadfsa

    Mark W Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    > Another reason is ppl like extras. Most often Superbit versions have none

    of
    > the extra's you find on a regular release as the redon Audio/video takes

    up
    > all the space. At least thats how it was explained to me once upon a time.
    > You buy Superbit if you love the movie and dont care about the extras.

    The bad thing is that there is often plenty of room left on the DVD for
    extras.

    Mark W, May 5, 2004
  6. "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in news:c7b32m$ciu$:

    > "Eric Gadfsa" <> wrote in message
    >> Question: What exactly is Superbit, and if it's so good, why don't
    >> they release all DVDs in that format, in fact why didn't they
    >> incorporate Superbit into the original DVD standard?

    > Superbit is just a marketing tactic, so there's nothing to
    > incorporate. It's simply a release where Columbia has dedicated an
    > entire DVD's bit budget to the movie itself, and there are no "extras"
    > contained on the disc.

    You'll also notice many other studios will offer high-bitrate
    discs with no fanfare or special label, simply because their discs are
    well-mastered.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, May 5, 2004
  7. Eric Gadfsa

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 10:27:47 -0600, "Bratboy"
    <> Gave us:

    >Another reason is ppl like extras. Most often Superbit versions have none of
    >the extra's you find on a regular release as the redon Audio/video takes up
    >all the space. At least thats how it was explained to me once upon a time.
    >You buy Superbit if you love the movie and dont care about the extras.

    There are several two disc releases of films with the extras on the
    second disc.

    They ain't shittin' this kid. It's just another "suck mo cash"
    mechanism where LESS value is actually offered, yet a "better" feature
    is claimed.

    They could ALL do better. What the **** is up with paper packaging?
    or the liners even. This is the modern world, and these are not
    disposable products, so making them from plastics is not an
    environmental concern.

    Give us QUALITY!!! NOT just in the video either!

    DarkMatter, May 5, 2004
  8. Eric Gadfsa

    eugenep Guest

    eugenep, May 5, 2004
  9. Eric Gadfsa

    Biz Guest

    "Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message

    > "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    > > Another reason is ppl like extras. Most often Superbit versions have

    none
    > of
    > > the extra's you find on a regular release as the redon Audio/video takes

    > up
    > > all the space. At least thats how it was explained to me once upon a

    time.
    > > You buy Superbit if you love the movie and dont care about the extras.
    > >

    > The bad thing is that there is often plenty of room left on the DVD for
    > extras.

    Do you have any examples of this?

    Biz, May 5, 2004
  10. Eric Gadfsa

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > Question: What exactly is Superbit, and if it's so good, why don't
    > they release all DVDs in that format, in fact why didn't they
    > incorporate Superbit into the original DVD standard?

    SuperBit is a Columbia TriStar marketing gimmick. They own the trademark
    to the name. No other studio can release a disc and call it "SuperBit"
    or Columbia TriStar will sue them.

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > of course they are all DTS with a 2.0 DD
    > compatibility track.

    All SuperBit discs have both a DTS 5.1 track (half bit-rate, ironically)
    and a Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

    Joshua Zyber, May 5, 2004
  11. Eric Gadfsa

    Biz Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > And, to answer the question, because:
    >
    > A) "No extras" has never gone down particularly well with mainstream
    > viewers who DON'T cultivate tech-obsessed home theaters,
    >
    > which reduces Super to
    >
    > B) An excuse to re-release former hit "flagship" titles that have spent
    > out their title-brand novelty, but need a new marketing handle the
    > second time around, if there's no sequel or package to market them with.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (did occur to you why we get very few NEW Supers day/date
    > with the "regular" versions?)

    It seems noone really stated that in almost all cases there is a noticeable
    audible and visual improvement in the titles as well. So if quality is what
    matters, then the superbit titles are what you want when available.

    Biz, May 6, 2004

    Derek Janssen, May 6, 2004
  13. Biz wrote:

    >>And, to answer the question, because:
    >>
    >>A) "No extras" has never gone down particularly well with mainstream
    >>viewers who DON'T cultivate tech-obsessed home theaters,
    >>
    >>which reduces Super to
    >>
    >>B) An excuse to re-release former hit "flagship" titles that have spent
    >>out their title-brand novelty, but need a new marketing handle the
    >>second time around, if there's no sequel or package to market them with.
    >>
    >>(did occur to you why we get very few NEW Supers day/date
    >>with the "regular" versions?)

    > It seems noone really stated that in almost all cases there is a noticeable
    > audible and visual improvement in the titles as well. So if quality is what
    > matters, then the superbit titles are what you want when available.

    Wellll...there's a REASON why nobody's yet said that it matters.

    Which's also why they aren't all Superbits. :)

    Derek Janssen (gets out Crayola crayons, just in case)

    Derek Janssen, May 6, 2004
  14. Eric Gadfsa

    Jay G Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > which reduces Super to
    >
    > B) An excuse to re-release former hit "flagship" titles that have
    > spent out their title-brand novelty, but need a new marketing handle the
    > second time around, if there's no sequel or package to market them
    > with.

    Both Panic Room and Adaptation got the Superbit treatment
    the first time around. Also, Punch Drunk Love 2-disc was
    hastily labeled a Superbit after Columbia realized the first disc
    met their specifications.

    -Jay

    Jay G, May 6, 2004
  15. Eric Gadfsa

    42 Guest

    "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 5 May 2004 10:27:47 -0600, "Bratboy"
    > <> Gave us:
    >

    > >Another reason is ppl like extras. Most often Superbit versions have none of
    > >the extra's you find on a regular release as the redon Audio/video takes up
    > >all the space. At least thats how it was explained to me once upon a time.
    > >You buy Superbit if you love the movie and dont care about the extras.
    > >

    > There are several two disc releases of films with the extras on the
    > second disc.
    >
    > They ain't shittin' this kid. It's just another "suck mo cash"
    > mechanism where LESS value is actually offered, yet a "better" feature
    > is claimed.

    There is a very noticable difference between the original and the
    Superbit release, when you project the movies onto a big screen.
    For example, while the original release of The Fifth Element was
    considered excellent when it was released, the Superbit version
    simply blew it away when I viewed it on my 8' wide screen.

    42, May 6, 2004
  16. Eric Gadfsa

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 12:36:31 GMT, "42" <> Gave
    us:

    >"DarkMatter" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Wed, 5 May 2004 10:27:47 -0600, "Bratboy"
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>

    >> >Another reason is ppl like extras. Most often Superbit versions have none of
    >> >the extra's you find on a regular release as the redon Audio/video takes up
    >> >all the space. At least thats how it was explained to me once upon a time.
    >> >You buy Superbit if you love the movie and dont care about the extras.
    >> >

    >> There are several two disc releases of films with the extras on the
    >> second disc.
    >>
    >> They ain't shittin' this kid. It's just another "suck mo cash"
    >> mechanism where LESS value is actually offered, yet a "better" feature
    >> is claimed.

    >There is a very noticable difference between the original and the
    >Superbit release, when you project the movies onto a big screen.
    >For example, while the original release of The Fifth Element was
    >considered excellent when it was released, the Superbit version
    >simply blew it away when I viewed it on my 8' wide screen.

    Sounds like a good start for disc ONE. Now, they need to CONTINUE,
    and include the extras on disc TWO, like every other maker of flics
    does with any substantial release. The point is, they could offer
    more for the few dollars more they get. The fact is, they do not.
    The reason is "suck mo cash".

    Also, if a paper liner of disc case is only ten cents or a few cents
    cheaper than the plastic version, why give us the shit level version
    which degrades in short order? This has been true, even through the
    Laser Disc era, when they went from good thick 3 mil liners that
    worked to those shitty 0.5 mil liners that don't keep the discs
    protected. So, the consumer suffers all because some lame ****
    decided to save them an extra million out of their hundreds of
    millions in profits.

    The hard part is getting the retarded fucks to realize that we want
    quality packaging as WELL as features and the other added tripe.

    Saving one penny over a million piece sale is a substantial piece of
    cash, but it isn't a drop in the bucket over what they make. We
    should have better products.

    Fact is, they have "a formula", and our views are not included in
    it.

    DarkMatter, May 6, 2004
  17. Eric Gadfsa

    Goro Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote in message news:<40999133$0$3004$>...
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    > >
    > >>Question: What exactly is Superbit, and if it's so good, why don't
    > >>they release all DVDs in that format, in fact why didn't they
    > >>incorporate Superbit into the original DVD standard?

    > > Superbit is just a marketing tactic, so there's nothing to incorporate.
    > > It's simply a release where Columbia has dedicated an entire DVD's bit
    > > budget to the movie itself, and there are no "extras" contained on the disc.

    > B) An excuse to re-release former hit "flagship" titles that have spent
    > out their title-brand novelty, but need a new marketing handle the
    > second time around, if there's no sequel or package to market them with.

    it seems that this is not really true. It's mostly really bad movies
    that need some sort of push to sell them. ANACONDA? THE BIG HIT?
    JOHNNY MNEMONIC? not "flagship" by any stretch.

    it really would make sense (and be nice) if they'd take high profile
    titles and re-encode them for Superbit, although i wonder if it would
    really make that much of a difference? In Japan, atleast, there are
    some better titles on superbit, like DR STRANGELOVE and JURASSIC PARK.

    -goro-

    Goro, May 6, 2004
  18. Biz wrote:
    > Mark W wrote:

    >> The bad thing is that there is often plenty of room left on the DVD for
    >> extras.

    > Do you have any examples of this?

    Two examples taken from a post by John Rice on the Home Theater Forum
    (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=2115554#post2115554):

    "_Gattaca_.... [t]his 'Superbit' edition, which also has absolutely no
    extras, measures a whopping 5.91 GB. Columbia even has the gall to say they
    include only the most basic menus in order to save as much bandwidth as
    possible for the movie. This disc has 1/3 of its space unused."

    "Punch-Drunk Love, which is a Superbit 'Deluxe'. There is so much on this
    collection it took two full discs to hold it all. Disc 1, which is dual
    layer is 6 GB. Hmmm. Disc 2 is... 1.82 GB. That's right, all of this could
    have easily been put on 1 disc."

    doug

    --
    "International caller on my line; tomorrow's just another distance..."
    --The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy

    Douglas Bailey, May 6, 2004
  19. Eric Gadfsa

    Jay G Guest

    DarkMatter <> wrote:

    > Sounds like a good start for disc ONE. Now, they need to
    > CONTINUE,
    > and include the extras on disc TWO, like every other maker of flics
    > does with any substantial release. The point is, they could offer
    > more for the few dollars more they get. The fact is, they do not.
    > The reason is "suck mo cash".

    There are a few "Superbit Deluxe" titles out that do have a disc
    two. Charlies Angels, Mask of Zorro, Punch Drunk Love, etc.

    -Jay

    Jay G, May 7, 2004
  20. Eric Gadfsa

    poldy Guest

    In article
    <jjqmc.39950$W%>,
    "42" <> wrote:

    > There is a very noticable difference between the original and the
    > Superbit release, when you project the movies onto a big screen.
    > For example, while the original release of The Fifth Element was
    > considered excellent when it was released, the Superbit version
    > simply blew it away when I viewed it on my 8' wide screen.

    But wouldn't Superbit and re-releases of DVDs of the same movies just
    delay HD DVD or Blue Ray further?

    Gives more incentive to studios to hold off, milk DVDs a bit longer.

    poldy, May 7, 2004