    camera hang by the strap. :)
    Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    turrets?

    RichA, Jan 9, 2012

  2. RichA <> writes:

    > For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    > f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    > to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    > camera hang by the strap. :)
    > Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    > turrets?

    Yahbut, those lenses were an in to 1.5 inches in diameter and the
    relatively LONG ones were 3 inches long -- AND movie cameras tend to
    live on tripods, not hanging from straps.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 9, 2012

  3. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:34:28 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > RichA <> writes:
    >
    >> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    >> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    >> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    >> camera hang by the strap. :)
    >> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    >> turrets?

    > Yahbut, those lenses were an in to 1.5 inches in diameter and the
    > relatively LONG ones were 3 inches long -- AND movie cameras tend to
    > live on tripods, not hanging from straps.

    The C mount ones for home movies were a bit smaller,
    there are c-mount adapters for mft's.

    Irwell, Jan 10, 2012
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 9, 5:34 pm, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > RichA <> writes:
    > > For legacy lenses.  Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    > > f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera.  All you'd have
    > > to do is turret the lens you want into position!  Just don't let the
    > > camera hang by the strap.  :)
    > > Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    > > turrets?

    > Yahbut, those lenses were an in to 1.5 inches in diameter and the
    > relatively LONG ones were 3 inches long -- AND movie cameras tend to
    > live on tripods, not hanging from straps.

    You have to admit, it would be a unique accessory!

    RichA, Jan 10, 2012
  5. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    > f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    > to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    > camera hang by the strap. :)
    > Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    > turrets?

    Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed focal
    lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 10, 2012
  6. Irwell <> writes:

    > On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:34:28 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >
    >> RichA <> writes:
    >>
    >>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    >>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    >>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    >>> camera hang by the strap. :)
    >>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    >>> turrets?

    >> Yahbut, those lenses were an in to 1.5 inches in diameter and the
    >> relatively LONG ones were 3 inches long -- AND movie cameras tend to
    >> live on tripods, not hanging from straps.

    > The C mount ones for home movies were a bit smaller,
    > there are c-mount adapters for mft's.

    I think the mount for 8mm was called "D". I'm thinking of 16mm lenses I
    used on turrets on a Bolex, back in highschool.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 10, 2012
  7. "David J Taylor" <> writes:

    > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    >> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    >> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    >> camera hang by the strap. :)
    >> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    >> turrets?

    > Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed
    > focal lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.

    Yeah, but have you handled the Zeiss 10-100/1.8 for 16mm? I think it
    weighs more than 10 times the sum of the weights of the primes
    mentioned.

    Also I was told (in 1994, when we were using a rental one on a no-budget
    feature I was assistant camera operator for) that the Zeiss was worth
    $25,000, which could kind of limit owning one.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 10, 2012
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >"David J Taylor" <> writes:
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    >>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    >>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    >>> camera hang by the strap. :)
    >>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    >>> turrets?

    >> Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed
    >> focal lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.

    >Yeah, but have you handled the Zeiss 10-100/1.8 for 16mm? I think it
    >weighs more than 10 times the sum of the weights of the primes
    >mentioned.
    >
    >Also I was told (in 1994, when we were using a rental one on a no-budget
    >feature I was assistant camera operator for) that the Zeiss was worth
    >$25,000, which could kind of limit owning one.

    I think David Taylor is reverting to his usual habit of justifying
    (probably to himself) his own choice of a very mediocre consumer-grade
    11X zoom lens on an obsolescent consumer-grade DSLR.

    He has no experience of high quality zoom lenses, therefore they do
    not exist. ;-)

    Bruce, Jan 10, 2012

  9. > Yeah, but have you handled the Zeiss 10-100/1.8 for 16mm? I think it
    > weighs more than 10 times the sum of the weights of the primes
    > mentioned.
    >
    > Also I was told (in 1994, when we were using a rental one on a no-budget
    > feature I was assistant camera operator for) that the Zeiss was worth
    > $25,000, which could kind of limit owning one.
    > --
    > David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/

    Well, if you need such large apertures, zooms wouldn't be the way to go!
    I still don't see turrets catching on though, do you?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 10, 2012
  10. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    []
    > I think David Taylor is reverting to his usual habit of justifying
    > (probably to himself) his own choice of a very mediocre consumer-grade
    > 11X zoom lens on an obsolescent consumer-grade DSLR.
    >
    > He has no experience of high quality zoom lenses, therefore they do
    > not exist. ;-)

    How about discussing the topic in hand rather than repeating your personal
    attacks? Do you see turrets catching on?

    David J Taylor, Jan 10, 2012
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 10, 1:05 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > > Yeah, but have you handled the Zeiss 10-100/1.8 for 16mm?  I think it
    > > weighs more than 10 times the sum of the weights of the primes
    > > mentioned.

    > > Also I was told (in 1994, when we were using a rental one on a no-budget
    > > feature I was assistant camera operator for) that the Zeiss was worth
    > > $25,000, which could kind of limit owning one.
    > > --
    > > David Dyer-Bennet, ;http://dd-b.net/

    > Well, if you need such large apertures, zooms wouldn't be the way to go!
    > I still don't see turrets catching on though, do you?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    I put this suggestion up as a joke, but I can see it working for
    some. For the Nikon V or the M4/3rds cameras, a turret with;
    Pentax 110 18mm
    Pentax 110 24mm
    Pentax 110 50mm

    Would be usable, if a tad awkward. All those lenses will support the
    sensor sizes of the cameras mentioned.
    The turret discs would need to be 2.5" across to accomodate the
    lenses. The total weight would be about the same as a normal FF 50mm
    f1.4 metal prime.
    A think sheet of teflon between the discs would facilitate rotation
    and a spring/ball bearing and detented stops would work to register
    each lens step. If you made the discs a little larger 3.5", you could
    fit four lenses.

    RichA, Jan 10, 2012
  12. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    > Do you see turrets catching on?

    Not when 99% of people are happy with their junk zooms.

    Bruce, Jan 10, 2012
  13. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you see turrets catching on?

    > Not when 99% of people are happy with their junk zooms.

    LOL!

    David J Taylor, Jan 10, 2012
  14. "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 1/9/12 2:56 PM, in article
    > ,
    > "RichA"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    >> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    >> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    >> camera hang by the strap. :)
    >> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    >> turrets?

    > Most television studio camera thru the 60's were just like that.
    >
    > BTW: Will we have to wind it up as well?

    Yes, that was 50 years ago. Today they use zoom lenses - quite large and
    expensive ones, though!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 11, 2012
  15. "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 1/10/12 1:51 AM, in article jegql6$8d9$, "David J
    > Taylor"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>> For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    >>> f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    >>> to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    >>> camera hang by the strap. :)
    >>> Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    >>> turrets?

    >> Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed
    >> focal
    >> lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > But think of the looks that you would get, LOL!

    Well, that /someone/ would get. Not me.
    Rich/RichA when he makes his turret, perhaps?

    David J Taylor, Jan 11, 2012
  16. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >"George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> On 1/10/12 1:51 AM, in article jegql6$8d9$, "David J
    >> Taylor"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Today's zoom lenses obviate the need, and don't limit you to fixed
    >>> focal
    >>> lengths. Easier to get the shot right in the camera.
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>>

    >> But think of the looks that you would get, LOL!

    >Well, that /someone/ would get. Not me.
    >Rich/RichA when he makes his turret, perhaps?

    Mention of lens turrets made me think of the opening credits of the
    long-lived BBC TV "Grandstand" sports programme:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUdpqLLxPM

    Watch for the camera that appears at 0:20, and enjoy! ;-)

    Bruce, Jan 11, 2012
  17. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Mention of lens turrets made me think of the opening credits of the
    > long-lived BBC TV "Grandstand" sports programme:
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUdpqLLxPM
    >
    > Watch for the camera that appears at 0:20, and enjoy! ;-)

    ... and a turret camera used to be one of the BBC competition prizes -
    possible Sports Personality. I don't know if it still is....

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 11, 2012
  18. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >[]
    >> Mention of lens turrets made me think of the opening credits of the
    >> long-lived BBC TV "Grandstand" sports programme:
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUdpqLLxPM
    >>
    >> Watch for the camera that appears at 0:20, and enjoy! ;-)

    >.. and a turret camera used to be one of the BBC competition prizes -
    >possible Sports Personality.

    Yes, I think you're right.

    >I don't know if it still is....

    Doubtful.

    Bruce, Jan 11, 2012
  19. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce <> wrote:

    >"David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >>[]
    >>> Mention of lens turrets made me think of the opening credits of the
    >>> long-lived BBC TV "Grandstand" sports programme:
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUdpqLLxPM
    >>>
    >>> Watch for the camera that appears at 0:20, and enjoy! ;-)

    >>.. and a turret camera used to be one of the BBC competition prizes -
    >>possible Sports Personality.

    >Yes, I think you're right.
    >

    >>I don't know if it still is....

    >Doubtful.

    But once again, you're right:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year

    ;-)

    Bruce, Jan 11, 2012
  20. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, bugbear
    <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

    > > For legacy lenses. Just imagine, you could have a 28mm f2.0, a 50mm
    > > f1.4 and a 100mm f2.8 or 180mm f2.8 all on one camera. All you'd have
    > > to do is turret the lens you want into position! Just don't let the
    > > camera hang by the strap. :)
    > > Before you laugh, remember old-style movie cameras with 3-5 lens
    > > turrets?

    > Didn't Kodak make a digital with multiple lenses on a rotating
    > mount?

    someone makes a turret attachment for the iphone :)

    <http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/iphone-lens-dial/>

    nospam, Jan 11, 2012