Why no entry in Win 7 Device Manager for my DVD?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Stan Kay, Oct 11, 2009.

  1. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and find that the Device Manager is
    missing an entry for DVD/CD-ROM drives.

    I have established the following:-

    1. Upon boot the BIOS detects my DVD drive.
    2. I can boot from my DVD drive to restore images etc.
    3. If I boot to Vista 64 bit my DVD drive appears in Device Manager
    4. If I boot to Windows 7 64 bit my DVD drive is missing from Device
    Manager

    I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that these tests prove the
    following:-

    1. There is nothing wrong with my BIOS
    2. There is nothing wrong with my DVD drive
    3. The problem is that Windows 7 does not see my DVD drive

    My DVD drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D ATA device with firmware version
    1.29 (The latest available from Pioneer).

    I have failed with numerous solutions obtained from the web:-

    1. Enter the Registry and remove "Upper" and "Lower" filters and reboot. I
    do not have such entries in the Registry.
    2. Delete the DVD drive from Device Manager and reboot so that the device
    is automatically detected and the correct driver installed. I have no entry
    in Device Manager.
    3. Update the DVD Firmware. It is the latest firmware - even it were not,
    I cannot install a firmware update because Windows 7 tells me that I do not
    have a DVD drive.
    4. Use Device Manager to add legacy hardware. The automatic system cannot
    find new hardware
    5. Choose the hardware category I want to install. Unfortunately, none of
    the categories offered is a DVD drive.

    Can anyone please suggest how I might resolve this infuriating problem?
    Stan Kay, Oct 11, 2009

  2. A motherboard BIOS update is the probable solution. It appears that the
    BIOS is not identifying the drive to Windows 7 in the way W7 requires.

    Are there reports of similar problems with your motherboard?

    Dominic Payer, Oct 11, 2009

  3. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Dominic,

    I can find no issues with my ASUS P5B Premium motherboard and (I checked ten
    minutes ago) ASUS have not issued a BIOS update since my current version
    1102 was released on 14th July 2008.

    Stan Kay, Oct 11, 2009
  4. There is a beta 1201 BIOS for the board which I suggest you try.
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=EIK5m6YufqijpEf7&content=download

    Also,
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...id=1&model=P5B Premium&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
    suggests that the problem may be solved by setting the board to SATA
    AHCI mode.

    Dominic Payer, Oct 11, 2009
  5. Stan Kay

    Carlos Guest

    Stan,
    What happens if you go to right click on your PC (icon on desktop) and
    choose "Manage"?
    Does your DVD drive show up there?
    Does it need a drive letter?
    I have Win 7 in Spanish so my translation might differ from yours.
    If you can't find any clues there then:
    1.- Power off your PC.
    2.- Disconnet the IDE cable from your DVD drive.
    3.- Power up your PC and let it "see" that there is no DVD drive.
    4.- Power off your PC.
    5.- Connect the IDE cable to your DVD drive.
    6.- Power up your PC. The DVD drive should now be "viewable".

    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 11, 2009
  6. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Dominic,

    The ASUS site I am using does not show the 1201 BIOS so I am delighted that
    you have found this. Many thanks.

    I will try the new BIOS and, if necessary, the SATA AHCI mode and report
    back.

    Stan Kay, Oct 12, 2009
  7. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Carlos,

    I have tried the "Manage" option but I am afraid that does not show the DVD
    player.

    I will try the "Disconnect" option if the 1201 BIOS (see above) does not
    work.

    Many thanks for you help.

    Stan Kay, Oct 12, 2009
  8. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Dominic,

    The 1201 BIOS is now installed but unfortunately it does not solve the
    problem nor does the SATA AHCI.

    I will try the suggestions that have been offered by others.

    Many thanks for trying.

    Stan Kay, Oct 12, 2009
  9. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Carlos,

    I am delighted to report that IDE cable disconnect/connect suggestion worked
    and everything is now working correctly.

    Many thanks for your suggestion.

    Stan Kay, Oct 12, 2009