    "The AT&T CallVantage Service does not support operator assisted type
    calls, such as collect calls." - AT&T

    Does anyone know Why?

    Rick Merrill, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Rick Merrill

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    In article <> Rick Merrill
    <> writes:

    >"The AT&T CallVantage Service does not support operator assisted type
    >calls, such as collect calls." - AT&T

    >Does anyone know Why?

    Requires additional staffing ($$$) and opens the door to fraudulent
    charges and subscriber allegations/claims of fraudulent charges (more
    $$$). By not supporting collect calls there's also no bookkeeping and
    banking fees associated with billing for, hassling deadbeat customers for
    and accounting for and transferring collected funds to the various LD
    carriers. It's all about $$$.

    One almost feels compelled to ask, in this age of 2½¢ a minute LD and blue
    bazillions of free minutes, who the dickens still calls "collect"?

    Mitel Lurker, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Rick Merrill

    Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:12:29 -0600, Mitel Lurker
    <wdg@[206.180.145.133] wrote:

    >One almost feels compelled to ask, in this age of 2½¢ a minute LD and blue

    Inmates in prisons and persons making their 'one phone call' after
    being taken in custody.

    , Feb 18, 2005
  4. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Mitel Lurker wrote:
    > In article <> Rick Merrill
    > <> writes:
    >

    >>"The AT&T CallVantage Service does not support operator assisted type
    >>calls, such as collect calls." - AT&T

    >>Does anyone know Why?

    > Requires additional staffing ($$$) and opens the door to fraudulent
    > charges and subscriber allegations/claims of fraudulent charges (more
    > $$$). By not supporting collect calls there's also no bookkeeping and
    > banking fees associated with billing for, hassling deadbeat customers for
    > and accounting for and transferring collected funds to the various LD
    > carriers. It's all about $$$.

    But... they put charges directly onto credit card... I guess the answer
    is correct: no operator, hence no opperator assisted calls!

    > One almost feels compelled to ask, in this age of 2½¢ a minute LD and blue
    > bazillions of free minutes, who the dickens still calls "collect"?

    Teenages without a cell phone? Oh, ...

    Rick Merrill, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Rick Merrill

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Rick Merrill
    <> wrote:

    >Mitel Lurker wrote:
    >> In article <> Rick Merrill
    >> <> writes:
    >>

    >>>"The AT&T CallVantage Service does not support operator assisted type
    >>>calls, such as collect calls." - AT&T

    >>>Does anyone know Why?

    >> Requires additional staffing ($$$) and opens the door to fraudulent
    >> charges and subscriber allegations/claims of fraudulent charges (more
    >> $$$). By not supporting collect calls there's also no bookkeeping and
    >> banking fees associated with billing for, hassling deadbeat customers for
    >> and accounting for and transferring collected funds to the various LD
    >> carriers. It's all about $$$.
    >>

    >But... they put charges directly onto credit card... I guess the answer
    >is correct: no operator, hence no opperator assisted calls!

    I thought we're talking collect calls here? A collect call is a call
    which is billed to the recipient rather then billed to the caller. No
    credit card involved, nor is an operator required in most cases
    (assuming both parties are domestic)

    --
    Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

    DevilsPGD, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    DevilsPGD wrote:
    > In message <> Rick Merrill
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Mitel Lurker wrote:

    >>>Requires additional staffing ($$$) and opens the door to fraudulent
    >>>charges and subscriber allegations/claims of fraudulent charges (more
    >>>$$$). By not supporting collect calls there's also no bookkeeping and
    >>>banking fees associated with billing for, hassling deadbeat customers for
    >>>and accounting for and transferring collected funds to the various LD
    >>>carriers. It's all about $$$.
    >>>

    >>But... they put charges directly onto credit card... I guess the answer
    >>is correct: no operator, hence no opperator assisted calls!

    > I thought we're talking collect calls here? A collect call is a call
    > which is billed to the recipient rather then billed to the caller. No
    > credit card involved, nor is an operator required in most cases
    > (assuming both parties are domestic)

    My abbreviated reply mislead you, sorry. One person said 'collect calls
    have billing costs' and I replied 'but they just bill to [my] credit card.'

    But the real issue is that CallVantage has * No Operators * and hence do
    not support ANY "operator assisted" types of calls!

    However (!) I just realized that there are two directions to 'collect
    calls', doh! A CallVantage (VoIP) caller (me) cannot dial 0 for
    Operator! But it may still be that Incoming Collect calls can be handled.

    What happens with in/out operator-assisted calls on VoIP systems?

    Rick Merrill, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Rick Merrill

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    In article <>
    writes:

    >Inmates in prisons and persons making their 'one phone call' after
    >being taken in custody.

    Sucks being them, now doesn't it.

    That may sound a bit harsh to those among you in the bleeding hearts
    crowd, but we've been down that road before and we'll not be going down
    that road ever again. How's it go? Oh yes, now I remember, "Been there and
    done that!" Now any and all related to us whether by blood or marriage
    know exactly who not to call after your third strike. Your get out of jail
    free card has already been punched. Screw up once, shame on you. Screw up
    twice, shame on me.

    By the way, that "first" call that you're legally entitled to make is not
    collect, so take my advice and make that one count and call someone who
    can help you, like calling one of your scooter trash friends you run with.
    You didn't learn this behavior at home. Your "friends" got you into this
    mess, so let them get you out of it.

    Tough love? You bet it is.

    Mitel Lurker, Feb 19, 2005