    open the website http://oumei.zhan.cn.yahoo.com
    you can see " learn chinese"

    , Feb 21, 2008

  2. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Why Need To Learn Chinese?
    > Chinese is used by more people in the world than any other language.
    > The official language used throughout China is Putonghua
    > (Modern Standard Chinese; also sometimes referred to as 'Mandarin').
    > Putonghua is also one of the working languages of the United
    > Nations.
    > It is not only spoken in the People's Republic of China,
    > Taiwan and Singapore but also used in Southeast Asian
    > countries and other parts of the world where Chinese-speaking
    > communities are present. Chinese is a fascinating language to study.
    > The spoken language has a simple structure, and it uses tones
    > to give different meanings to a word. Chinese character writing
    > is governed by rules which can be easily learned: it is challenging
    > but
    > rewarding. Learning the language is a window into understanding
    > Chinese
    > culture and the Chinese way of life.
    >
    > open the website http://oumei.zhan.cn.yahoo.com
    > you can see " learn chinese"

    I am sure that I am too stupid to ever be able to learn Chinese...
    but I was always curious about the language...
    Just looking at the letters, the whole thing seemed totally
    incomprehensible...

    But still, I decided to study the language...
    not really to learn it...
    but merely at least have a glimpse of it's structure...
    and how one could possibly go about deciphering it.

    I went to my local library and took home a few books...
    and at least got to see how a few simple strokes make a word...
    then how more strokes are added, to make additional words...etc.

    Anyway, the only way I'd even have even the slightest hope of learning the
    language
    would be to go to China and live there for the rest of my life.

    Now, here is the funny thing I was going to say:

    One of the books I brought home from our fine local library
    was a Chinese to English dictionary.

    When I got home the first thing I noticed was that it was written in 1939.
    That was bad enough...but the real kicker was that it had originally been
    a Chinese to *French* dictionary that had later had the French , in turn,
    translated to English.

    Ergo: I you want to learn Chinese, probably best to just move to China I'd
    say<G>

    philo, Feb 21, 2008

  3. Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-21, philo <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Why Need To Learn Chinese?

    [...]

    > When I got home the first thing I noticed was that it was written in 1939.
    > That was bad enough...but the real kicker was that it had originally been
    > a Chinese to *French* dictionary that had later had the French , in turn,
    > translated to English.

    æ··ä¹± (with acknowledgement or blame to Babelfish).

    > Ergo: I you want to learn Chinese, probably best to just move to China I'd
    > say<G>

    Or "China town" in one of many cities around the world :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 21, 2008
  4. Brian Cryer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Why Need To Learn Chinese?
    > Chinese is used by more people in the world than any other language.

    Whilst this is true, my understanding is that outside of China, English is
    still the most commonly spoken language.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Feb 21, 2008
  5. catchme Guest

    philo wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Why Need To Learn Chinese?
    >> Chinese is used by more people in the world than any other language.
    >> The official language used throughout China is Putonghua
    >> (Modern Standard Chinese; also sometimes referred to as 'Mandarin').
    >> Putonghua is also one of the working languages of the United
    >> Nations.
    >> It is not only spoken in the People's Republic of China,
    >> Taiwan and Singapore but also used in Southeast Asian
    >> countries and other parts of the world where Chinese-speaking
    >> communities are present. Chinese is a fascinating language to study.
    >> The spoken language has a simple structure, and it uses tones
    >> to give different meanings to a word. Chinese character writing
    >> is governed by rules which can be easily learned: it is challenging
    >> but
    >> rewarding. Learning the language is a window into understanding
    >> Chinese
    >> culture and the Chinese way of life.
    >>
    >> open the website http://oumei.zhan.cn.yahoo.com
    >> you can see " learn chinese"

    > I am sure that I am too stupid to ever be able to learn Chinese...
    > but I was always curious about the language...
    > Just looking at the letters, the whole thing seemed totally
    > incomprehensible...
    >
    > But still, I decided to study the language...
    > not really to learn it...
    > but merely at least have a glimpse of it's structure...
    > and how one could possibly go about deciphering it.
    >
    > I went to my local library and took home a few books...
    > and at least got to see how a few simple strokes make a word...
    > then how more strokes are added, to make additional words...etc.
    >
    > Anyway, the only way I'd even have even the slightest hope of learning the
    > language
    > would be to go to China and live there for the rest of my life.
    >
    > Now, here is the funny thing I was going to say:
    >
    > One of the books I brought home from our fine local library
    > was a Chinese to English dictionary.
    >
    > When I got home the first thing I noticed was that it was written in 1939.
    > That was bad enough...but the real kicker was that it had originally been
    > a Chinese to *French* dictionary that had later had the French , in turn,
    > translated to English.
    >
    > Ergo: I you want to learn Chinese, probably best to just move to China I'd
    > say<G>

    i have a japanese wife, so therefore i have devoted much time studying
    Japanese (nihongo).
    memorizing the "50 sounds" table (Japanese, Korean, and Chinese use
    sounds rather than letters in their version of an alphabet) was
    relatively easy, while studying katakana and hiragana (japanese written
    languages- katakana for foreign words, and hiragana for japanese native
    words).
    Because Japanese use fewer sounds than Chinese, their kanji is also
    fewer (apprx. 22,000 japanese as opposed to almost 60,000 chinese) so i
    think should be easier for me to learn.
    Also, Japanese are increasingly adopting a number of english words into
    their own language/ culture, substituting them from their own native
    language!
    Previously they had "chiisai, hutsu and okii" sizes- now when going to a
    resutoran (restaurant) they order size by "s, m, l"- or more formally,
    "small, medium, lage".
    Now getting into kanji is harder- while each knaji itself has meaning,
    when placing them together their meaning may be altered depending upon
    the neighbouring kanji.
    Each kanji is attributed to a sound, or combination of up to three
    sounds- but there are many kanji to each sound (50 sounds- over 22000
    kanji).
    I know 4 kanji currently- and all of them can be read by chinese for the
    same meaning....but the SOUND attributed to them sometimes varies.
    For example, the japanese kanji "inochi" (life), may be read as "life by
    chinese- but given an entirely different sound.
    It is important to note too that this particular kanji also reads the
    same in korean "han- mun" (korean kanji)- the same meaning, and yet
    again a different sound.
    The kanji "hana" (flower) is same for chinese and japanese- and also the
    same sound.
    It is easier for me right now to memorise kanji by their name and sound,
    than to learn how the various parts of a kanji may be identified by
    their radicals, etc., and therefore to deconstruct the kanji into its
    aprts....besides this deconstruction of the kanji is what led to the
    creation of hiragana and katakana in the first place!

    catchme, Feb 21, 2008
  6. catchme Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-02-21, philo <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Why Need To Learn Chinese?

    > [...]
    >
    >> When I got home the first thing I noticed was that it was written in 1939.
    >> That was bad enough...but the real kicker was that it had originally been
    >> a Chinese to *French* dictionary that had later had the French , in turn,
    >> translated to English.

    > æ··ä¹± (with acknowledgement or blame to Babelfish).
    >
    >> Ergo: I you want to learn Chinese, probably best to just move to China I'd
    >> say<G>

    > Or "China town" in one of many cities around the world :))

    ãŠã¯ä¼Šäºˆã”ã–ã„ã¾ã™!ç§ã®æ—¥æœ¬èªžå¼å±…ã—ã¾ã™ã€‚会話ã®æ—¥æœ¬èªžé€£å–ã—ã¾ç·šãƒ¼ã‚ˆã€‚ãƒ
    イã€ã¾ãŸã­ï¼

    catchme, Feb 21, 2008
  7. catchme Guest

    Brian Cryer wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Why Need To Learn Chinese?
    >> Chinese is used by more people in the world than any other language.

    > Whilst this is true, my understanding is that outside of China, English is
    > still the most commonly spoken language.

    i have no opinion on whether English is spoken throughout the world- but
    it has become evident that the lazy-tongued 'American' equivalent
    appears to becoming the predominant language.
    What that portents for linguistic communication in the very near future,
    is daunting to begin contemplating!
    Mayhap one may consider anything longer than acronyms to belong in the
    literature category- to be stuffed on a shelf gathering dust!

    catchme, Feb 21, 2008
  8. Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-21, catchme <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-21, philo <> wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> When I got home the first thing I noticed was that it was written in 1939.
    >>> That was bad enough...but the real kicker was that it had originally been
    >>> a Chinese to *French* dictionary that had later had the French , in turn,
    >>> translated to English.

    >> æ··ä¹± (with acknowledgement or blame to Babelfish).
    >>
    >>> Ergo: I you want to learn Chinese, probably best to just move to China I'd
    >>> say<G>

    >> Or "China town" in one of many cities around the world :))
    >>

    > ãŠã¯ä¼Šäºˆã”ã–ã„ã¾ã™!ç§ã®æ—¥æœ¬èªžå¼å±…ã—ã¾ã™ã€‚会話ã®æ—¥æœ¬èªžé€£å–ã—ã¾ç·šãƒ¼ã‚ˆã€‚ãƒ
    > イã€ã¾ãŸã­ï¼

    The fish says;

    There is Iyo! My Japanese valve it stays. Japanese connected taking stripe
    line of conversation -. Don't you think? ムイ, in addition!

    Gurer'f abg n ybg V pna fnl gb gung.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 21, 2008
  9. philo Guest

    "catchme" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > same meaning....but the SOUND attributed to them sometimes varies.
    > For example, the japanese kanji "inochi" (life), may be read as "life by
    > chinese- but given an entirely different sound.
    > It is important to note too that this particular kanji also reads the
    > same in korean "han- mun" (korean kanji)- the same meaning, and yet
    > again a different sound.
    > The kanji "hana" (flower) is same for chinese and japanese- and also the
    > same sound.
    > It is easier for me right now to memorise kanji by their name and sound,
    > than to learn how the various parts of a kanji may be identified by
    > their radicals, etc., and therefore to deconstruct the kanji into its
    > aprts....besides this deconstruction of the kanji is what led to the
    > creation of hiragana and katakana in the first place!

    Yes, I also got a few books on Japanese too.
    It seemed even more complicated that Chinese , if anything.
    The one thing I did notice is there there are a lot of subtly different
    vowel sounds such as: ru, ri, ra

    I have a number of friends both Chinese and Japanese but I'd never be able
    to speak to them in their
    native language.

    Once, when I was at a friend's house I picked up a letter he had sitting on
    his desk and was just staring at
    all the Chinese characters in utter amazement.

    Then my friend came running over and snapped the letter out of my hands
    and said: "Hey, that's private!"

    Before I could explain anything, he realized that of course I could not read
    it...
    and we both started laughing!

    philo, Feb 21, 2008
  10. philo Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Why Need To Learn Chinese?
    > > Chinese is used by more people in the world than any other language.

    > Whilst this is true, my understanding is that outside of China, English is
    > still the most commonly spoken language.

    Yes, English is often considered a universal language.
    It's my understanding that all air traffic communication must be done in
    English

    philo, Feb 21, 2008
  11. philo Guest

    "catchme" <> wrote in message
    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-02-21, philo <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Why Need To Learn Chinese?

    > [...]
    >
    >> When I got home the first thing I noticed was that it was written in

    1939.
    >> That was bad enough...but the real kicker was that it had originally been
    >> a Chinese to *French* dictionary that had later had the French , in turn,
    >> translated to English.

    > ?? (with acknowledgement or blame to Babelfish).
    >
    >> Ergo: I you want to learn Chinese, probably best to just move to China

    I'd
    >> say<G>

    > Or "China town" in one of many cities around the world :))

    ?????????!??????????????????????????
    ?????!

    NYC, China town is some place I go whenever I can get a chance.
    It's absolutely wonderful and amazing!
    Also San Fransisco

    The one in Chicago is smaller

    philo, Feb 21, 2008
  12. VanguardLH Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Why Need To Learn Chinese?
    > Chinese is used by more people in the world than any other language.

    Absolutely irrelevant to anyone wanting to learn another language.
    You learn another language for a reason, not because of some
    population count. If you are going to get stationed in a job or
    military in a foreign country then maybe you want to know the language
    there. Well, if that place is Germany, Costa Rica, Guam, France, or
    Norway then learning Chinese would be a complete waste of time.

    VanguardLH, Feb 22, 2008
  13. catchme Guest

    philo wrote:
> [...]

    >> aprts....besides this deconstruction of the kanji is what led to the
    >> creation of hiragana and katakana in the first place!

    > Yes, I also got a few books on Japanese too.
    > It seemed even more complicated that Chinese , if anything.
    > The one thing I did notice is there there are a lot of subtly different
    > vowel sounds such as: ru, ri, ra
    >
    > I have a number of friends both Chinese and Japanese but I'd never be able
    > to speak to them in their
    > native language.
    >
    > Once, when I was at a friend's house I picked up a letter he had sitting on
    > his desk and was just staring at
    > all the Chinese characters in utter amazement.
    >
    > Then my friend came running over and snapped the letter out of my hands
    > and said: "Hey, that's private!"
    >
    > Before I could explain anything, he realized that of course I could not read

    i think it is important to learn a second language- i have an irrational
    bias towards japanese because i married a japanese.
    i consider that i married not just a person, but also into another
    culture and therefore, why not learn all there is to know about her
    language, culture...and her?
    but i have many resources available in assisting my learning.
    i have a conversational book with excercises written in romanji (the
    english equivalent of japanese sounds),
    a book detailing the katakana and katakana in an easy to read chart,
    an english-japanese dictionary...i learn quickest by converting the
    romanji book into katakana by using the second book, methodically
    writing every sentence string after i conclude a chapter. thus i learn
    from repetition.
    an electronic translator (translates both ways)
    on my computer, i have MIME japanese installed
    foxlingo on my ff browser
    and coworkers who either teach english and know some japanese, have
    lived in or were born in japan
    and then there is my wife, and our friends.

    catchme, Feb 22, 2008
  14. chuckcar Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > Why Need To Learn Chinese?
    > Chinese is used by more people in the world than any other language.

    In one *country* maybe, and that's due to force of government. There
    *used* to be loads of dialects and the chinese government said you can
    *only* use mandarin now. The most commonly used language in the world is
    English and probably *always* will be.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 22, 2008
  15. philo Guest

> [...]

    <snip>

> [...]

    > culture and therefore, why not learn all there is to know about her
    > language, culture...and her?
    > but i have many resources available in assisting my learning.
    > i have a conversational book with excercises written in romanji (the
    > english equivalent of japanese sounds),
    > a book detailing the katakana and katakana in an easy to read chart,
    > an english-japanese dictionary...i learn quickest by converting the
    > romanji book into katakana by using the second book, methodically
    > writing every sentence string after i conclude a chapter. thus i learn
    > from repetition.
    > an electronic translator (translates both ways)
    > on my computer, i have MIME japanese installed
    > foxlingo on my ff browser
    > and coworkers who either teach english and know some japanese, have
    > lived in or were born in japan
    > and then there is my wife, and our friends.

    I've taken several years of several different languages...
    but never learned much.

    One needs to actually converse in the language on a daily basis to
    actually learn it!

    philo, Feb 22, 2008
  16. Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-22, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > "" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Why Need To Learn Chinese?
    >> Chinese is used by more people in the world than any other language.

    > In one *country* maybe, and that's due to force of government. There
    > *used* to be loads of dialects

    .... languages even, and probably still are when The Party isn't around.
    Languages are remarkably resilient.

    It was the variety of spoken languages throughout their empire that led
    Chinese rulers to encourage (or enforce) the development of a written
    language that is essentially unrelated to any spoken language - so that
    decrees and official correspondance would only need to be written in the
    one language. The EU with its army of translators and tons of paper in
    umpteen languages demonstrates the difficulty of the alternative approach.

    > and the chinese government said you can
    > *only* use mandarin now. The most commonly used language in the world is
    > English and probably *always* will be.

    Surely that was Greek, or was it Latin or French or Spanish or Arabic?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 22, 2008
  17. catchme Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > It was the variety of spoken languages throughout their empire that led
    > Chinese rulers to encourage (or enforce) the development of a written
    > language that is essentially unrelated to any spoken language - so that
    > decrees and official correspondance would only need to be written in the
    > one language. The EU with its army of translators and tons of paper in
    > umpteen languages demonstrates the difficulty of the alternative approach.

    it was from the Han dynasty that kanji ("Han- Sign") was born- and from
    China scribes were sent into Korea and Japan to introduce the written
    language, and it was adopted in each, to some varying degree.
    Korea calls their Kanji "Han-Mun", but essentially means the same.
    A WRITTEN language introduced to a culture that didnt have one before
    has certain technical advantages- one doesnt have to "enforce" anything.
    fwiw, japanese has at various times tried to reform their various SPOKEN
    dialects into a "standard" japanese- to some extent, there is still an
    "official" dialect- but this last one was imposed upon the Japanese
    during American Occupation!

    catchme, Feb 22, 2008
  18. Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-22, catchme <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> It was the variety of spoken languages throughout their empire that led
    >> Chinese rulers to encourage (or enforce) the development of a written
    >> language that is essentially unrelated to any spoken language - so that
    >> decrees and official correspondance would only need to be written in the
    >> one language. The EU with its army of translators and tons of paper in
    >> umpteen languages demonstrates the difficulty of the alternative approach.
    >>

    > it was from the Han dynasty that kanji ("Han- Sign") was born- and from
    > China scribes were sent into Korea and Japan to introduce the written
    > language, and it was adopted in each, to some varying degree.
    > Korea calls their Kanji "Han-Mun", but essentially means the same.
    > A WRITTEN language introduced to a culture that didnt have one before
    > has certain technical advantages- one doesnt have to "enforce" anything.

    Provided the written language is kept seperate and no-one tries to impose
    a new spoken language.

    Written English, using the Latin alphabet to represent sounds that don't
    exist in Latin, results in a confusing orthography; but written Japanese
    sounds as though it makes written English look logical.

    > fwiw, japanese has at various times tried to reform their various SPOKEN
    > dialects into a "standard" japanese- to some extent, there is still an
    > "official" dialect- but this last one was imposed upon the Japanese
    > during American Occupation!

    Americans can't really cope with regional accents of British English, let
    alone the dialects; I can imagine they'd have a really hard time trying to
    cope in a language they didn't even /think/ they already spoke ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 22, 2008