    be boosting something?

    thank you

    , Feb 25, 2006

  2. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an
    > old land-line phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which
    > doesn't work at all. I tried another phone and that
    > doesn't work either.
    >
    > Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular
    > land-line phones.
    >
    > Is there some compatability issue?
    >
    > My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.
    >
    > Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that
    > connects my phone to the adapter have something to do
    > with it?
    >
    > Might the fact that my old phone has a power source for
    > its answering be boosting something?
    >
    > thank you

    Define "doesn't work" - is the phone totally dead, does it work but not
    ring, what..?

    I suspect it may well be the cable you are using, be aware that there are
    many variants of RJ11<>RJ11 cables, not all of which are wired the same. I
    assume the phone came with a normal lead with a UK plug on it..? Plug this
    into the adaptor that should have came with the adaptor and plug that into
    the adaptor.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Ian Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an old land-line
    > phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which doesn't work at all. I
    > tried another phone and that doesn't work either.
    >
    > Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular land-line phones.
    >
    > Is there some compatability issue?
    >
    > My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.
    >
    > Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that connects my
    > phone to the adapter have something to do with it?

    Hi

    There may well be two problems here

    1. BT do not on many phones cross the pairs so 2 and 5 of the BT style plug
    go to 2 and 5 of the RJ11
    This means a DEAD phone
    2. BT phones like to have a ring cct, SO you need to use the correct US-UK
    adaptors* with the ring cct i them

    Ian (* I do sell them, See www.cyber-cottage.co.uk/shop for details)

    Ian, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Ian wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Satisfied with Vonage Voip, which works happily with an old land-line
    >>phone; today I bought a BT Decor 1300 which doesn't work at all. I
    >>tried another phone and that doesn't work either.
    >>
    >>Vonage's selling point is that it works with regular land-line phones.
    >>
    >>Is there some compatability issue?
    >>
    >>My system is Ntl/Cable Modem/Router/Adapter.
    >>
    >>Might the longish length of the RJ11M/RJ11M cable that connects my
    >>phone to the adapter have something to do with it?

    > Hi
    >
    > There may well be two problems here
    >
    > 1. BT do not on many phones cross the pairs so 2 and 5 of the BT style plug
    > go to 2 and 5 of the RJ11

    Even though an RJ-11 has only 4 connectors? (an RJ-12 has 6).

    > This means a DEAD phone

    No it doesn't it means he has the wrong cable.

    > 2. BT phones like to have a ring cct, SO you need to use the correct US-UK
    > adaptors* with the ring cct i them

    He'd still get a dial-tone.

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Guest

    Thanks guys. The answer was not all RJ11s are created equal, and that
    by fitting a proper BT/USA adaptor we solved the problem.

    piers

    , Feb 26, 2006