    features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft has
    once again lost sight of what we really want."

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785337-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

    Brian Adams, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Brian Adams

    thingy Guest

    Brian Adams wrote:
    > "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has turned
    > out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history, not my personal
    > view but a good read all the same. Place your vote by clicking "Member Poll"
    > bottom right of this article if you agree or not.
    >
    > While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system savior
    > we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest
    > blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and
    > features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft has
    > once again lost sight of what we really want."
    >

    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785337-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

    Just the best example of OS vapourware in history so far....where did
    all those features go, and it still runs like a dog...

    Never mind for 2009 (or 2010) I'm sure MS will exceed our expectations
    yet again...

    ;]

    Roll on my new Mac....drool....today's OS today....(having to save first
    though)...not some vague promise 2~3 years away...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Brian Adams

    Geoff Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Brian Adams wrote:
    >> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it

    Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?

    geoff

    Geoff, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Brian Adams

    none Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?

    That's a harsh generalisation.

    Mac user at home, *nux admin at work - and I'm more than sick of
    Lawrence, Peter et al and their continual stream of drivel.

    That said, the pro windows guys are just as bad.

    none, Sep 28, 2007
  5. Brian Adams

    Shane Guest

    Geoff wrote:

    > thingy wrote:
    >> Brian Adams wrote:
    >>> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it

    > Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?
    >
    > geoff

    Why couldnt you see that the OP was Roger?

    --
    Hardware: n, Parts of a computer that you can kick.

    Shane, Sep 28, 2007
  6. Brian Adams

    John Guest

    "Brian Adams" <> wrote in message

    > "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has
    > turned
    > out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history, not my
    > personal
    > view but a good read all the same. Place your vote by clicking "Member
    > Poll"
    > bottom right of this article if you agree or not.
    >
    > While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system
    > savior
    > we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest
    > blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and
    > features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft
    > has
    > once again lost sight of what we really want."
    >

    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785337-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

    It is really just a minor progression from windows xp, with more eye candy.
    I don't believe it is that bad, although I think it sucks that it won't run
    my 3 year old hp scanner. I have to setup my computer as a dual boot PC
    running vista ult, and win 2000.

    John, Sep 28, 2007
  7. Serves Microsoft right, that Vista is not selling.

    With Vista Micr$oftthey abanided the rights and needs of the user to
    serve the needsof the DRM mafia. To do thats a lot of the power of
    the computer and software is devoted to serving the DRM mafia..

    Vista is Palladium it is designed to make you the untrusted user of
    the hardware and software that you have paid for.

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Sep 28, 2007
  8. Brian Adams

    thingy Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Brian Adams wrote:
    >>> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it

    > Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?
    >
    > geoff

    Well from what I can see that is incorrect, anyway since I am using all
    three,

    As a Mac newbie I find Macs have few weaknesses apart from having to pay
    a premium for admittedly nice hardware and the software is way over
    priced...dont need virus checkers either.....my partner loves 'em and we
    will get fusion or parallels as an add on.

    As a Linux user I find Linux's biggest weakness the fact that most games
    are Windows PC only...dont need virus checkers can run all else I want
    for zero cost.

    As a Windows user I find its nature an illogical frustration.

    As a typical example the night before last I attempted to install Nero
    showtime on my games machine for my child to watch DVDs (as that
    machine's dvd drive had died.) Only to see it fail with something called
    advcnrt2.dll is missing error....Nero re-installs failed, googling I
    downloaded the dll and registered it manually and tried installs,
    un-installs and re-installs all failed with a fatal error please
    re-install after 3 plus hours Nero is now permanently dead on this
    machine it seems. So I googled for a free dvd player which works fine.
    Last night I put Nero showtime on my partner's games PC and nero
    installed and was working in oh 15mins max. I dont get this crap with
    Linux or Macs...

    Further the windows PC games are the best priced but the OS is the most
    expensive, a full OSX retail is about $210. Vista? up to $900 for
    "ultimate" guess that is short for ultimate rip off....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 28, 2007
  9. Brian Adams

    thingy Guest

    John wrote:
    > "Brian Adams" <> wrote in message
    >> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it has
    >> turned
    >> out to be one of the biggest blunders in Microsoft's history, not my
    >> personal
    >> view but a good read all the same. Place your vote by clicking "Member
    >> Poll"
    >> bottom right of this article if you agree or not.
    >>
    >> While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system
    >> savior
    >> we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest
    >> blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and
    >> features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft
    >> has
    >> once again lost sight of what we really want."
    >>

    >> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785337-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

    > It is really just a minor progression from windows xp, with more eye candy.
    > I don't believe it is that bad, although I think it sucks that it won't run
    > my 3 year old hp scanner. I have to setup my computer as a dual boot PC
    > running vista ult, and win 2000.

    Seems typical of HP, I have 2 or 3 HP burners which HP did not supply
    drivers or software for when I wanted to upgrade to 2000 or then XP...I
    could have bought HP's upgrade software at a "special" $150....or just
    buy Nero at $30 odd which is what I did.

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Sep 28, 2007
  10. On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:35:36 +1200, thingy wrote:

    >> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785337-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

    > Just the best example of OS vapourware in history so far....where did
    > all those features go, and it still runs like a dog...

    However, it is working as intended for Micro$oft's primary customers - the
    RIAA and MPAA.

    You don't really thing anybody else's needs rated consideration, do you?
    ;o)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 28, 2007
  11. On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:20:59 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > As a Windows user I find its nature an illogical frustration.

    Ditto.

    Best exemplified by clicking "start" to stop the computer.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 28, 2007
  12. Brian Adams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-28, Brian Adams <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system savior
    > we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest
    > blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and
    > features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft has
    > once again lost sight of what we really want."

    Ms Penguin is waving her flippers in the air. This is not a good sign if you
    are in the same room.

    She points out that ideas are good and lets all share them. Linux has taken
    some ideas from MS desktop. For it has got some things right in this area.

    In return Linux has forced made MS start to understand about security and
    alternative OS.

    In short competition is good, both in the OSS world and the world of
    profit, money wise.

    BTW Ms Penguin had a real exchange of ideas with Sam who passed by the other
    day. I think she has not become totally relaxed over it as yet.

    Gordon, Sep 28, 2007
  13. Brian Adams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-28, Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:

    > Serves Microsoft right, that Vista is not selling.
    >
    > With Vista Micr$oftthey abanided the rights and needs of the user to
    > serve the needsof the DRM mafia. To do thats a lot of the power of
    > the computer and software is devoted to serving the DRM mafia..
    >

    > Vista is Palladium it is designed to make you the untrusted user of
    > the hardware and software that you have paid for.

    Good grief waht a long URL

    http://www.vuze.com/details/ABNPN4J...Browse&pb=X&pg=2&pr=X&s=S&st=SRATING&t=X&vt=1

    If it fails just try http://www.vuze.com and go to Best Rated. Now do *not*
    get side tracked ;-)

    Gordon, Sep 28, 2007
  14. Brian Adams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-28, Geoff <> wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Brian Adams wrote:
    >>> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it

    > Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?

    What makes you have this view point?

    Ms Penguin here. Look I am interested in other subjects, but this nz.comp
    yes? Look try another ng you ill find all sorts of people on all sorts of
    platforms offering all sorts of ideas.

    No fish for you, unless you catch your own.

    Gordon, Sep 28, 2007
  15. Brian Adams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-28, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    > Geoff wrote:
    >
    >> thingy wrote:

    >> Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?
    >>
    >> geoff

    > Why couldnt you see that the OP was Roger?

    Did all readers?

    BTW Roger does put bullets thru the bulls eye. Yes the chal stick is still
    pretty much unused.

    Gordon, Sep 28, 2007
  16. Brian Adams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-09-28, none <> wrote:
    > Geoff wrote:
    >> Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?

    > That's a harsh generalisation.
    >
    > Mac user at home, *nux admin at work - and I'm more than sick of
    > Lawrence, Peter et al and their continual stream of drivel.
    >
    > That said, the pro windows guys are just as bad.

    So why do you read their posts? Just interested

    Gordon, Sep 28, 2007
  17. Brian Adams

    sam Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Brian Adams wrote:
    >>> "Don Reisinger has written an article on Windows Vista and how it

    > Why are 99% of Mac and Linux religous devotees' posts about Windows ?
    >
    > geoff

    Woger (the OP) hates Linux, WTF are you talking about?

    sam, Sep 28, 2007
  18. Meh, the article may have a few redeeming comments, but parts are just a
    crock. For example suggesting the impending release of Leopard will give
    MSoft a rough holiday. FFS Jobs would be lucky to give them a bad nights
    sleep in reality.

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Sep 28, 2007
  19. Agreed, *most* people who know a lot about OS's have long accepted they have
    ALL borrowed from one another.

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Sep 28, 2007
  20. Patrick FitzGerald, Sep 28, 2007