    players will recognize discs containing pirated movies and refuse to play
    them.

    Oh well, it'll probably all be cracked sooner or later anyway...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > But on the other hand, the Blu-Ray
    > copy-protection mechanisms seem pretty draconian, including the fact that
    > players will recognize discs containing pirated movies and refuse to play
    > them.
    >
    > Oh well, it'll probably all be cracked sooner or later anyway..

    Chip mods for Blu-ray players. Or some sort of disruptive technolgy that
    captures the stream between player and screen / sound and re-encoded it?

    steve, Oct 8, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> But on the other hand, the Blu-Ray
    >> copy-protection mechanisms seem pretty draconian, including the fact that
    >> players will recognize discs containing pirated movies and refuse to play
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Oh well, it'll probably all be cracked sooner or later anyway..

    >Chip mods for Blu-ray players. Or some sort of disruptive technolgy that
    >captures the stream between player and screen / sound and re-encoded it?

    The latter could be tricky for HDCP. But then, it looks like HDCP is
    broken anyway
    <http://apache.dataloss.nl/~fred/www.nunce.org/hdcp/hdcp111901.htm> ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    PAM. Guest

    > Found this interesting item from Slashdot

    <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024
    ..htm>
    > which sheds some light on why Microsoft recently announced it was
    > supporting HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.
    >
    > It looks like the Blu-Ray copy protection will be so tight that it might

    not
    > be possible to stream content off a BD disc via a PC to another device.
    > Since Microsoft's XBox will not be shipping with any kind of BD-playing
    > capability, this could severely restrict the ability of the XBox to act as
    > a general home-entertainment centre.
    >
    > The article also claims that Blu-Ray seems to be gaining momentum at the
    > expense of HD-DVD, in spite of Microsoft's and Intel's best efforts. On

    the
    > one hand, it's something of a relief if it turns out there won't be a
    > long-drawn-out format war after all. But on the other hand, the Blu-Ray
    > copy-protection mechanisms seem pretty draconian, including the fact that
    > players will recognize discs containing pirated movies and refuse to play
    > them.
    >
    > Oh well, it'll probably all be cracked sooner or later anyway...

    I would have said it;s because they want to crush the playstation, Blu-ray
    being from Sony. Once that's gone, MS will dominate the games console arena.

    PAM.

    PAM., Oct 9, 2005
  5. In article <9xe2f.16902$>,
    "PAM." <> wrote:

    >"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> Found this interesting item from Slashdot
    >>

    ><http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024
    >.htm>
    >> which sheds some light on why Microsoft recently announced it was
    >> supporting HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.
    >>

    >I would have said it;s because they want to crush the playstation, Blu-ray
    >being from Sony. Once that's gone, MS will dominate the games console arena.

    If that's their aim, they're going backwards. The PlayStation continues
    to go from strength to strength (one of the bright spots in Sony's
    current situation), even as Microsoft's XBox division continues to lose
    money.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2005
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>Found this interesting item from Slashdot
    >>>

    >><http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024
    >>.htm>
    >>
    >>>which sheds some light on why Microsoft recently announced it was
    >>>supporting HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray.
    >>>

    >>I would have said it;s because they want to crush the playstation, Blu-ray
    >>being from Sony. Once that's gone, MS will dominate the games console arena.

    > If that's their aim, they're going backwards. The PlayStation continues
    > to go from strength to strength (one of the bright spots in Sony's
    > current situation), even as Microsoft's XBox division continues to lose
    > money.

    Xbox not XBox, anyway this analyst expects Xbox360 to lead till 2008,
    with the Xbox 360 jumping out to an early lead in the console wars

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/29/news_6134710.html

    Anyone here so bullish on the handheld gaming thing?

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 10, 2005
  7. In article <434a0331$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >>><http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024
    >>>.htm>

    >>>I would have said it;s because they want to crush the playstation, Blu-ray
    >>>being from Sony. Once that's gone, MS will dominate the games console arena.

    >> If that's their aim, they're going backwards. The PlayStation continues
    >> to go from strength to strength (one of the bright spots in Sony's
    >> current situation), even as Microsoft's XBox division continues to lose
    >> money.

    >Xbox not XBox, anyway this analyst expects Xbox360 to lead till 2008,
    >with the Xbox 360 jumping out to an early lead in the console wars
    >
    >http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/29/news_6134710.html

    A lead that won't last, if I understand the article correctly.

    >Anyone here so bullish on the handheld gaming thing?

    Well, the PlayStation Portable seems to be wildly successful, and
    capable of doing lots of things besides just playing games.

    Another big product segment that Microsoft has overlooked, methinks...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2005
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >Anyone here so bullish on the handheld gaming thing?

    > Well, the PlayStation Portable seems to be wildly successful, and
    > capable of doing lots of things besides just playing games.
    > Another big product segment that Microsoft has overlooked, methinks...

    I would have liked to see ~2GB flash in the PSP for game saves, music,
    movies etc... or atleast being able to buy blank UMD disks for putting
    it on, to me their memory stick pro is a pain.

    , Oct 10, 2005
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    PAM. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I would have liked to see ~2GB flash in the PSP for game saves, music,
    > movies etc... or atleast being able to buy blank UMD disks for putting
    > it on, to me their memory stick pro is a pain.

    Yep. Should have had a USB socket.

    PAM.

    PAM., Oct 10, 2005
  10. In <> davenetnz@
    gmail.com wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> >Anyone here so bullish on the handheld gaming thing?

    >> Well, the PlayStation Portable seems to be wildly successful, and
    >> capable of doing lots of things besides just playing games.
    >> Another big product segment that Microsoft has overlooked, methinks...

    > I would have liked to see ~2GB flash in the PSP for game saves, music,
    > movies etc... or atleast being able to buy blank UMD disks for putting
    > it on, to me their memory stick pro is a pain.

    How about 4GB? Some company is releasing a replacement battery which
    also has a 4GB drive in it. Costs about the same as a PSP though.

    http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/gadgets/index.blog?entry_id=1244632

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 11, 2005
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > >> If that's their aim, they're going backwards. The PlayStation continues
    > >> to go from strength to strength (one of the bright spots in Sony's
    > >> current situation), even as Microsoft's XBox division continues to lose
    > >> money.

    > >Xbox not XBox, anyway this analyst expects Xbox360 to lead till 2008,
    > >with the Xbox 360 jumping out to an early lead in the console wars
    > >
    > >http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/29/news_6134710.html

    > A lead that won't last, if I understand the article correctly.

    Time will tell I guess - its certainly not cheap to develop a PS3 game
    as compared to an Xbox360 game, and with an Xbox title its
    straightforward to port it to PC and increase the size of the market
    who can purchase your title.

    PS3 costs scaring away developers
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26945

    "SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS may be scared away from developing for Sony's
    PS3 by the colossal investment required. And many may plumb for the
    Volish Xbox instead, a report suggests.
    Japanese site ZakZak, translated here, muses on the upcoming battle
    between the PS3 and Xbox 360 and fears Sony's demanding standards
    could put it at a disadvantage. Their source suggests that developing
    software for the PS3 from scratch requires an initial investment of at
    least 2 billion yen (US $17.6 million) and that's before they start.

    "There are not many software companies that can easily afford that kind
    of money," he said. "This is nothing but a nightmare for many
    Japanese software development companies."

    The sentiment is that many software developers will step towards the
    Xbox 360. Thanks to their inherent similarities 360 developers could
    also develop PC titles without incurring high R&D costs.

    One developer down to work exclusively for Sony is already questioning
    whether this was the right decision, we hear."

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 17, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:

    >The sentiment is that many software developers will step towards the
    >Xbox 360. Thanks to their inherent similarities 360 developers could
    >also develop PC titles without incurring high R&D costs.

    Kind of ironic, given that the newer XBOX strays even further from PC
    hardware standards than the old one did?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:
    >

    >>The sentiment is that many software developers will step towards the
    >>Xbox 360. Thanks to their inherent similarities 360 developers could
    >>also develop PC titles without incurring high R&D costs.

    > Kind of ironic, given that the newer XBOX strays even further from PC
    > hardware standards than the old one did?

    It is enabled by developer tools on the Microsoft platform. Microsoft
    bread & butter stuff, after all Microsoft is a developer company, Sony
    is not.

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 18, 2005
  14. In article <4354968e$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The sentiment is that many software developers will step towards the
    >>>Xbox 360. Thanks to their inherent similarities 360 developers could
    >>>also develop PC titles without incurring high R&D costs.

    >> Kind of ironic, given that the newer XBOX strays even further from PC
    >> hardware standards than the old one did?

    >It is enabled by developer tools on the Microsoft platform. Microsoft
    >bread & butter stuff, after all Microsoft is a developer company, Sony
    >is not.

    I don't understand what you mean by a "developer company". Sony most
    certainly has lots of "developers" developing for its platform family.
    Remember it has officially announced that the PlayStation 3 will have an
    option to run Linux, and if that doesn't make it a "developer company",
    then I don't know what does.

    Also the PlayStation Portable seems to be enjoying a lot of success as a
    platform for more than just playing games. So that must make it a pretty
    "developer" platform too, if anything can be.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 22, 2005