Why Michael Dell Is Upset

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 26, 2009.

  1. Dell was recently quoted as claiming that people buy a netbook, and after 36
    hours, the novelty wears off and all the defects become more apparent.

    So how does he explain the fact that, after two years, sales of netbooks are
    still growing like mad
    <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10371015-1.html>?

    The fact is, people love them. That they spell low profit margins for the
    hardware vendors and for Microsoft (Windows Client revenues down nearly 40%
    in the last report) is just an inevitable side effect...
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 26, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On Oct 26, 8:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Dell was recently quoted as claiming that people buy a netbook, and after 36
    > hours, the novelty wears off and all the defects become more apparent.
    >
    > So how does he explain the fact that, after two years, sales of netbooks are
    > still growing like mad
    > <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10371015-1.html>?
    >
    > The fact is, people love them. That they spell low profit margins for the
    > hardware vendors and for Microsoft (Windows Client revenues down nearly 40%
    > in the last report) is just an inevitable side effect...


    Personally, I think of them like Blade servers, they have got to big
    and to pricey for what they do...

    The original concept was good IMHO...small, SSD highly portable.

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Oct 26, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On Oct 26, 8:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Dell was recently quoted as claiming that people buy a netbook, and after 36
    > hours, the novelty wears off and all the defects become more apparent.
    >
    > So how does he explain the fact that, after two years, sales of netbooks are
    > still growing like mad
    > <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10371015-1.html>?
    >
    > The fact is, people love them. That they spell low profit margins for the
    > hardware vendors and for Microsoft (Windows Client revenues down nearly 40%
    > in the last report) is just an inevitable side effect...


    Hmmm....Dell must be feeling the pinch left, right and
    centre....virtualisation must have decimated their server sales, we
    used to buy about 80 servers per year....now we dont buy 20... Thin
    clients /
    VDi seem to be generating a lot of interest as well...that's
    potentially a lot less hardware being sold which must be hurting
    Dell....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Oct 26, 2009
    #3
  4. In message <f1239029-a7ba-49d4-b4a6-
    >, thingy wrote:

    > ....virtualisation must have decimated their server sales, we
    > used to buy about 80 servers per year....now we dont buy 20...


    Is that the usual proprietary-app thing, that you dare not run more than one
    app on a single server, because if anything goes wrong, you don't know who
    to blame?
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 26, 2009
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Dell was recently quoted as claiming that people buy a netbook, and after 36
    > hours, the novelty wears off and all the defects become more apparent.
    >
    > So how does he explain the fact that, after two years, sales of netbooks are
    > still growing like mad
    > <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10371015-1.html>?
    >
    > The fact is, people love them. That they spell low profit margins for the
    > hardware vendors and for Microsoft (Windows Client revenues down nearly 40%
    > in the last report) is just an inevitable side effect...


    I like my eeePC, but I'm not at all impressed with the enormous
    difference between their advertised battery life and what I really get.
     
    Gib Bogle, Oct 29, 2009
    #5
  6. In message <hcbbgg$i9v$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I like my eeePC, but I'm not at all impressed with the enormous
    > difference between their advertised battery life and what I really get.


    I did a couple of rundown tests when my Eee 701 was near new, and got about
    2 hours 50 minutes before it warned me it was shutting down.

    Now, two years later, I suspect I'm down to half that.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark

    Have I Upset Someone !!!!

    Mark, Sep 20, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    680
    [ Doc Jeff ]
    Sep 22, 2003
  2. C A Preston

    Have I upset Bill G?

    C A Preston, Jan 22, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    428
    trout
    Jan 23, 2004
  3. 7
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    529
    Layth ibn Alam al-Muhallabi
    Jan 14, 2006
  4. Abdul gnihsif

    upset with 20D annoucement

    Abdul gnihsif, Aug 20, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    565
    John McWilliams
    Aug 22, 2004
  5. Rôgêr
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    917
Loading...

Share This Page