    So, what exactly does that macro setting do. If I recall correctly, on
    the old SLR systems, the macro ring physically moved something within
    the lens to change the geometry.
    Dave Cohen, Dec 23, 2010

  2. Dave Cohen

    Vance Guest

    On Dec 22, 7:29 pm, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    > This might seem like a silly question, but I recently got a Canon
    > A3100IS which seems to do very well in macro mode. At some point I
    > discovered you can't select macro mode when set on auto, when you get
    > too close the camera displays the macro symbol and works fine.
    > Experimenting further, I find in P mode you can take perfectly good
    > macro shots without selecting macro mode and you can leave it in macro
    > mode and shoot well beyond the macro range (but not too far out, like
    > across the room).
    > Since I'm having problems with no viewfinder but love the size I might
    > get a Panasonic DSC-FZ35 as an alternate. Reading the manual, it seems
    > that too detects macro distance when in IA mode.
    > So, what exactly does that macro setting do. If I recall correctly, on
    > the old SLR systems, the macro ring physically moved something within
    > the lens to change the geometry.

    In general,any of the preset modes set the camera for the conditions
    that the manufacturer considers the optimum mix of options for most
    shooters under most situations covered by that mode, say 80% to 90% of
    the shots most people would take under those conditions. In essence,
    it's for people that don't know how to make choices about shutter
    speed, aperture, ISO, etc., to get an intended image result. It works
    well enough.

    Vance
    Vance, Dec 23, 2010