Why Linux Sux #18,998,000

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 15, 2010.

  1. You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???

    Ok...

    So I think i'm smart.... I've been a network admin for over 14 years
    now...handling enterprise level windows / cisco networks, routers,
    firewalls, networking...etc. You name it...I've done it all...

    And then comes linux...
    The final frontier,...when you finally get bored with knowing everything
    all the time.

    I download the distro, install it... immediately I have errors...
    (CENTOS 4.5)..
    So what do I do ?..I switch into super tech mode, bust out the google,
    stay up till 3 am every night reading wiki after wiki, forum after
    forum......resolving the issues one by one. 1 week later I have a
    semi-stable system with "less" errors...but.... WITH NO SOUND !... and
    now I want to break something, because a desktop IS NOT a desktop UNLESS
    you can play music and video's on it !!!!

    WTF !!!!!!!

    so i'm thinking to myself......

    If this seems a bit complicated, for me..... why in the hell would any
    non-technical end-user type individual ever be inclined to want to even
    try a linux distro once they've experienced windows ? How could these
    distro- developers ever expect a "non-geek", to be able to use this
    thing ?

    Case in point....

    If I want to install ...for example... Google earth... On windows, you
    download and open the file....click "I agree".. next, next ,next,
    finish....VIOLA !!!!!...you've got a working program...

    On LINUX !..... let's see.... which is it... yum.... sudo... apt-get
    ....xxxxxx.... make , make config, make install, ... blah blah blah......
    Oh and don't forget to check your video drivers...then tweak some conf
    files... read a few rambling wiki's and forums....and if you're lucky
    you have a working application before the sun comes up !

    Linux SUCKS !... but I guess you get what you pay for...
    --
    All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
    into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 15, 2010

  2. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ ranted:

    > You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
    > Ok...
    > so i'm thinking to myself......
    > If this seems a bit complicated, for me.....

    You obviously need Windows. Stick with it.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2010
  3. On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:34:17 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ ranted:
    >
    >> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
    >> Ok...
    >> so i'm thinking to myself......
    >> If this seems a bit complicated, for me.....

    >You obviously need Windows. Stick with it.

    I will Shaggy, just like the vast majority of the rest of the world.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 15, 2010
  4. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    sittingduck Guest

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:

    > You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???

    It's really only lame for desktop use. Works great for some, but it can be a
    bit limited as far as what it can easily do.

    For servers, linux is superior.

    --
    Rationality belongs to the cool observer, but because of the stupidity of the
    average man, he follows not reason but faith - Reinhold Niebuhr
    sittingduck, Dec 15, 2010
  5. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ ranted:
    >>> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
    >>> Ok...
    >>> so i'm thinking to myself......
    >>> If this seems a bit complicated, for me.....

    >> You obviously need Windows. Stick with it.

    > I will Shaggy, just like the vast majority of the rest of the world.

    That's just fine with me, Altie. The more of you Windows users there
    are, the less my superior operating system becomes a target.

    --
    -bts
    -Linux viruses: a few dozen, and they only exist in the lab
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2010
  6. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:10:35 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ ranted:
    >>>
    >>> You obviously need Windows. Stick with it.

    >> I will Shaggy, just like the vast majority of the rest of the world.

    > That's just fine with me, Altie. The more of you Windows users there
    > are, the less my superior operating system becomes a target.

    LOL!

    Meat Plow, Dec 15, 2010
  7. Meat Plow wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:

    >>> I will Shaggy, just like the vast majority of the rest of the world.

    >> That's just fine with me, Altie. The more of you Windows users there
    >> are, the less my superior operating system becomes a target.

    > LOL!

    <bows/>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2010
  8. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:19:12 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> That's just fine with me, Altie. The more of you Windows users there
    >>> are, the less my superior operating system becomes a target.

    >> LOL!

    > <bows/>

    ENCORE!

    Meat Plow, Dec 15, 2010
  9. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    > You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
    >
    > Ok...
    >
    > So I think i'm smart.... I've been a network admin for over 14 years
    > now...handling enterprise level windows / cisco networks, routers,
    > firewalls, networking...etc. You name it...I've done it all...
    >
    > And then comes linux...
    > The final frontier,...when you finally get bored with knowing everything
    > all the time.
    >
    > I download the distro, install it... immediately I have errors...
    > (CENTOS 4.5)..
    > So what do I do ?..I switch into super tech mode, bust out the google,
    > stay up till 3 am every night reading wiki after wiki, forum after
    > forum......resolving the issues one by one. 1 week later I have a
    > semi-stable system with "less" errors...but.... WITH NO SOUND !... and
    > now I want to break something, because a desktop IS NOT a desktop UNLESS
    > you can play music and video's on it !!!!
    >
    > WTF !!!!!!!
    >
    > so i'm thinking to myself......
    >
    > If this seems a bit complicated, for me..... why in the hell would any
    > non-technical end-user type individual ever be inclined to want to even
    > try a linux distro once they've experienced windows ? How could these
    > distro- developers ever expect a "non-geek", to be able to use this
    > thing ?
    >
    > Case in point....
    >
    > If I want to install ...for example... Google earth... On windows, you
    > download and open the file....click "I agree".. next, next ,next,
    > finish....VIOLA !!!!!...you've got a working program...
    >
    > On LINUX !..... let's see.... which is it... yum.... sudo... apt-get
    > ...xxxxxx.... make , make config, make install, ... blah blah blah......
    > Oh and don't forget to check your video drivers...then tweak some conf
    > files... read a few rambling wiki's and forums....and if you're lucky
    > you have a working application before the sun comes up !
    >
    > Linux SUCKS !... but I guess you get what you pay for...
    > --

    So this is the first time you tried to use linux? And you picked an
    enterprise distribution, that is a huge download to boot. Download and
    burn PcLinux mininime edition. Like 440 MB and run it from your cd
    drive for a while. Or the regular KDE 2010 version if you want video
    and music utilities out of the box, should have no issues. Install if
    you like it. The PCLInux community and forum is very organized
    friendly and helpful.
    monkeywintest, Dec 16, 2010
  10. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:53:37 -0800, sittingduck wrote:

    > Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:
    >
    >> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???

    > It's really only lame for desktop use. Works great for some, but it can
    > be a bit limited as far as what it can easily do.

    It's limited only by the ability of it's operator. No wonder people like
    you think it sucks. LOL

    > For servers, linux is superior.

    It's superior for desktops, as well. See above.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Rabbit pushed him off the speeding train.
    Dan C, Dec 16, 2010
  11. On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:13:37 -0800 (PST), monkeywintest
    <> wrote:

    >Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
    >>
    >> Ok...
    >>
    >> So I think i'm smart.... I've been a network admin for over 14 years
    >> now...handling enterprise level windows / cisco networks, routers,
    >> firewalls, networking...etc. You name it...I've done it all...
    >>
    >> And then comes linux...
    >> The final frontier,...when you finally get bored with knowing everything
    >> all the time.
    >>
    >> I download the distro, install it... immediately I have errors...
    >> (CENTOS 4.5)..
    >> So what do I do ?..I switch into super tech mode, bust out the google,
    >> stay up till 3 am every night reading wiki after wiki, forum after
    >> forum......resolving the issues one by one. 1 week later I have a
    >> semi-stable system with "less" errors...but.... WITH NO SOUND !... and
    >> now I want to break something, because a desktop IS NOT a desktop UNLESS
    >> you can play music and video's on it !!!!
    >>
    >> WTF !!!!!!!
    >>
    >> so i'm thinking to myself......
    >>
    >> If this seems a bit complicated, for me..... why in the hell would any
    >> non-technical end-user type individual ever be inclined to want to even
    >> try a linux distro once they've experienced windows ? How could these
    >> distro- developers ever expect a "non-geek", to be able to use this
    >> thing ?
    >>
    >> Case in point....
    >>
    >> If I want to install ...for example... Google earth... On windows, you
    >> download and open the file....click "I agree".. next, next ,next,
    >> finish....VIOLA !!!!!...you've got a working program...
    >>
    >> On LINUX !..... let's see.... which is it... yum.... sudo... apt-get
    >> ...xxxxxx.... make , make config, make install, ... blah blah blah......
    >> Oh and don't forget to check your video drivers...then tweak some conf
    >> files... read a few rambling wiki's and forums....and if you're lucky
    >> you have a working application before the sun comes up !
    >>
    >> Linux SUCKS !... but I guess you get what you pay for...
    >> --

    >So this is the first time you tried to use linux? And you picked an
    >enterprise distribution, that is a huge download to boot. Download and
    >burn PcLinux mininime edition. Like 440 MB and run it from your cd
    >drive for a while. Or the regular KDE 2010 version if you want video
    >and music utilities out of the box, should have no issues. Install if
    >you like it. The PCLInux community and forum is very organized
    >friendly and helpful.

    Liar! The LINux community is anything but friendly and helpful. Ask
    simple questions about a Linux distro that you are having issues with
    and the fuckers crucify you as a NOOB and snicker at you for even asking
    questions.

    Just shut the **** up about the "Linux Community" being friendly because
    that lie is outed and has been for a good bit.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 16, 2010
  12. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    sittingduck Guest

    Steel wrote:

    > What are you talking about see above you insane little cockroach? What
    > are you looking at? What are you doing, smoking Raid?

    LOL! Poor Danny lives in his own little universe....
    sittingduck, Dec 16, 2010
  13. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 15/12/2010 18:53, sittingduck wrote:
    > Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >
    >> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???

    > It's really only lame for desktop use. Works great for some, but it can be a
    > bit limited as far as what it can easily do.
    >
    > For servers, linux is superior.

    I wouldn't say superior but it does offer a good alternative in some
    server areas.
    Desk Rabbit, Dec 16, 2010
  14. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 16/12/2010 03:28, Dan C wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:53:37 -0800, sittingduck wrote:
    >
    >> Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:
    >>
    >>> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???

    >> It's really only lame for desktop use. Works great for some, but it can
    >> be a bit limited as far as what it can easily do.

    > It's limited only by the ability of it's operator. No wonder people like
    > you think it sucks. LOL

    I agree. I think every single office worker should be an expert on how
    phone systems work, how photocopiers and faxes work and each of these
    systems should be as complicated as possible to ensure we have the best
    possible trained workforce in fixing and maintaining their workplace tools.

    GOK who would do any of the actual work though.

    And before you launch into me I run and support several Linux *servers*
    in house and on client sites along with Windows networks. It's called
    using the right tool for a job. I don't think I shall ever understand
    this polarised view that exists between the Windows and Linux "camps",
    do these same people have a toolbox with only a hammer in it?
    Desk Rabbit, Dec 16, 2010
  15. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 15/12/2010 17:09, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    > You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
    >
    > Ok...
    >
    > So I think i'm smart.... I've been a network admin for over 14 years
    > now...handling enterprise level windows / cisco networks, routers,
    > firewalls, networking...etc. You name it...I've done it all...
    >
    > And then comes linux...
    > The final frontier,...when you finally get bored with knowing everything
    > all the time.
    >
    > I download the distro, install it... immediately I have errors...
    > (CENTOS 4.5)..

    Great server OS. Use it all over the place. I've got clients with some
    big websites hosted on it.

    > So what do I do ?..I switch into super tech mode, bust out the google,
    > stay up till 3 am every night reading wiki after wiki, forum after
    > forum......resolving the issues one by one. 1 week later I have a
    > semi-stable system with "less" errors...but.... WITH NO SOUND !... and
    > now I want to break something, because a desktop IS NOT a desktop UNLESS
    > you can play music and video's on it !!!!

    You have selected the wrong distro. A common mistake. Try Ubuntu. I've
    also heard good things about Mint from some very non technical people.

    Put it this way, you wouldn't put Windows 2008 Enterprise or Datacentre
    on a desktop would you?
    Desk Rabbit, Dec 16, 2010
  16. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    LSMFT Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > In article<>
    > Dan C<> wrote:

    >>> It's really only lame for desktop use. Works great for some, but it can
    >>> be a bit limited as far as what it can easily do.

    >> It's limited only by the ability of it's operator. No wonder people like
    >> you think it sucks. LOL
    >>>
    >>> For servers, linux is superior.

    >> It's superior for desktops, as well. See above.

    > You are an idiot.
    > But we all know that.

    Anything that is free is superior.

    --
    LSMFT

    LSMFT, Dec 16, 2010
  17. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:56:49 +0000, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > On 15/12/2010 17:09, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
    >>
    >> Ok...
    >>
    >> So I think i'm smart.... I've been a network admin for over 14 years
    >> now...handling enterprise level windows / cisco networks, routers,
    >> firewalls, networking...etc. You name it...I've done it all...
    >>
    >> And then comes linux...
    >> The final frontier,...when you finally get bored with knowing
    >> everything all the time.
    >>
    >> I download the distro, install it... immediately I have errors...
    >> (CENTOS 4.5)..

    > Great server OS. Use it all over the place. I've got clients with some
    > big websites hosted on it.

    Nods.

    Use Mandriva 2010 for desktop PC.

    Meat Plow, Dec 16, 2010
  18. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:43:16 -0800, sittingduck wrote:

    > Steel wrote:
    >
    >> What are you talking about see above you insane little cockroach? What
    >> are you looking at? What are you doing, smoking Raid?

    > LOL! Poor Danny lives in his own little universe....

    That was DUH-ane 'I work for the DoD' Arnold.

    Aardvark, Dec 16, 2010
  19. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    J G Miller Guest

    On Thursday, December 16th, 2010 at 08:19:34h -0500, LSMFT wrote:

    > Anything that is free is superior.

    Importantly to distinguish -- free as in "libre",
    and not necessarily free as in "gratis".

    A free sample of a fizzy drink given away in an opened can on the street
    is most definitely not superior to a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice
    from oranges that one has had to buy.
    J G Miller, Dec 16, 2010