    the 3 CD's included. McAffee antivirus was just as bad so I know it is not
    a particular program that has the problem.

    Is there a reason this is happening? Thanks.
    Senheiser, Feb 2, 2006

  2. As for anti virus app's - they will have to be 64bit, or at least have a
    64bit component, most products don't meet this requirement quite yet. As for
    office - I'm not sure, but I think this is a question of the installer being
    16bit, none of those will work at all.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 2, 2006

  3. Senheiser

    Senheiser Guest

    If Office XP has a 16 bit installer then logic leads me to believe that
    Office XP is a 16 bit program. For some reason this doesn't make sense to me
    :( I had no problems installing - and using - Office XP with the BETA
    version of Windows XP 64 that is why I can't figure out why the commercial
    version of XP64 is handicapped.

    By the way, it seems that everything else I am trying to install is s l o
    w. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that I am trying to
    install everything on a SCSI drive hooked up to an Adaptec 2940 controller
    plugged into a 32 bit PCI on a dual Opteron 64 motherboard. Could this be
    the bottle neck, I wonder?

    Senheiser, Feb 2, 2006
  4. Senheiser

    John Barnes Guest

    Office XP installs just fine. As for McAfee, it will not install unless you
    have the corporate version. Standard versions are not 64-bit

    John Barnes, Feb 2, 2006
  5. x64 shouldn't be slow.

    Have you checked Task Manager to confirm that no process is using up cpu
    cycles?

    The SCSI disk might be running slow.
    Is the controller driver up to date?
    You could download SiSoft Sandra and benchmark it to see what its throughput
    is.

    Dominic Payer, Feb 2, 2006
  6. Hi,
    I have wrote to all the leading anti virus companies, all write they are in
    progress with X64. The only working software I have found is Avast!
    You should get a basic error window appear telling you it is not compatible
    with X64 though

    As for office I used office 2003 pro and it installed fine and works fine.

    Best fo luck

    =?Utf-8?B?bmVpbDJqbw==?=, Feb 2, 2006