    most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
    I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os

    why is this ??
    chris, Jun 6, 2006

  2. A combination of things, demand is either not there, support cost does not
    meet the bottom line.
    How to buy a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition computer
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/howtobuy/default.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2006

  3. chris

    Rick Guest

    Actually I have seen advertisements and listings for computer systems
    with Win x64 pre-installed. I can't cite specific listings at the
    moment, but they are out there.

    Rick, Jun 6, 2006
  4. chris

    Drew Guest

    I have a Dell Precision 380 (Pentium D) that came with Win XP x64
    preinstalled.

    Drew

    Drew, Jun 6, 2006
  5. There are some coming with XP x64, but I think in most cases MS is
    suggesting to OEMs they offer it as an option, but not as the default. It
    just isn't for everyone, and there was a period when people were ending up
    with it and not being happy. See my whitepaper:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  6. "chris" <> wrote in message
    > just my 2 cents worth
    >
    > most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
    > I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
    >
    > why is this ??

    That can only be answered by the system manufacturers, they're the ones who
    make the decision as to what OS is installed on their computers. My guess
    is that 64 bit computers will come with a 64 bit OS when the customer(s) ask
    for it.
    David R. Norton MVP Shell/User, Jun 7, 2006
  7. chris

    John Barnes Guest

    The customer makes the decision on many computers, but until recently most
    of them 'recommended' XP Pro even when X64 was also listed. Recently Dell
    has removed this on many of their computers. Good first step.

    John Barnes, Jun 7, 2006
  8. I got my system from CyberPower. They are one of several system builders
    who actively promote preinstallation of x64 on their systems.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  9. Yeah, I remember Dell only allowing customers to select it fro Precision
    systems but I think its allowed on some XPS systems now.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 7, 2006
  10. chris

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "chris" <> wrote in message news:...
    > just my 2 cents worth
    >
    > most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
    > I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
    >
    > why is this ??

    Because ;)
    http://www.informationweek.com/management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=188702166
    Regards, Roman
    roman modic, Jun 8, 2006
  11. Vista x64 will not perform better than XP Pro x64 since both are compiled
    for a 64-bit target. What will improve over time is an increase in the
    number of apps compiled for an x64 target. Most apps today have to run
    under WOW64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 8, 2006
  12. "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in

    > Vista x64 will not perform better than XP Pro x64 since both are
    > compiled for a 64-bit target. What will improve over time is an
    > increase in the number of apps compiled for an x64 target. Most
    > apps today have to run under WOW64.

    We can get very specific as to WHEN speed will increase if we look at
    the testing various magazines do to determine speed of a system. The
    benchmarks won't go up until there are 64 bit versions of MS Office,
    Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop, etc. as these are the software products
    used to test PCs.

    My guess is that a 64 bit version of MS Office will result in a pretty
    large increase benchmark speeds.
    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 9, 2006
  13. Exactly.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 9, 2006
  14. * chris:

    > just my 2 cents worth
    >
    > most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
    > I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
    >
    > why is this ??

    Because you didn't look hard enough? HP for example sells computers with
    Windowsxp x64. Not the crappy Pavilion home computers, though, but their
    workstations. And there are several other manufacturers as well...

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 14, 2006
  15. Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * chris:
    >
    >> just my 2 cents worth
    >>
    >> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
    >> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
    >>
    >> why is this ??

    > Because you didn't look hard enough? HP for example sells computers
    > with Windowsxp x64.

    Maybe this could get you started:

    http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?&bCatID=754&cpID=0&ocID=105&OR=1

    Many companies whose products are listed there should be offering Windows XP
    x64 Edition bundled with their systems.

    Sabine
    Sabine Panislowski, Jun 14, 2006