    defeats the purpose. Oh well, just wondering.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jan 12, 2006

  2. JTJersey

    Erick Guest

    Because Microsoft prices the stuff themselves. Every version of Windows has
    fallen into the same pricing scheme, with only a small adjustment (upward).

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    With VISTA poised to come out later this year and the price of Windows XP
    Home Edition (Full version) priced as low as $57.00 why on Earth is the
    Upgrade version still a hundred bucks? And wasn't the activation program
    supposed to help reduce the cost to the end consumer by saving MS money
    with reduced piracy? I'm wanting to update the wife's Windows ME Gateway
    PC with XP Home Edition (Upgrade) to avoid a reformat and subsequent loss
    of her bought and paid for programs she's been using. I realize MS Office
    Suite, etc is on the Restore CD, but the only way to install them is to
    run the CD and put it back the way it was when she bought it. Kind of

    Erick, Jan 13, 2006