Why Is This Photo Blurry?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pooua, Sep 28, 2007.

  1. Pooua

    Pooua Guest

    Pooua, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Pooua wrote

    > For some reason, just about all my photos, regardless of camera, are
    > blurry, especially night shots. I can't figure out what is causing it.
    > Here is a photo that I took yesterday, using a Canon 20 mm singlet set
    > to f/5.0 and using the on-camera flash of my Canon 20D:

    Are you using Manual or Auto-focus ? Is your Dioptric adjuster
    correctly set for your eyes ?

    Chris
    Chris Gilbert, Sep 28, 2007

  3. On 2007-09-28 01:21:50 -0700, Pooua <> said:

    > For some reason, just about all my photos, regardless of camera, are
    > blurry, especially night shots. I can't figure out what is causing it.
    > Here is a photo that I took yesterday, using a Canon 20 mm singlet set
    > to f/5.0 and using the on-camera flash of my Canon 20D:
    >
    > http://shutter13.pictures.aol.com/d...0/3E/bBOfMCId7CsqGGzLmySI7kNsCvY0pkbU0300.jpg

    I'm

    I'm not seeing motion blur (camera shake), just an overall lack of sharpness.
    --
    Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
    yourselves instead to the safety of the republic
    sheepdog 2007, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Pooua

    JL Guest

    Is the lens dirty of did you use a "non authorized" cloth to clean the lens?
    If yes (cleaning), you have perhaps destroyed the quality of the lens.

    Jean-Luc Ernst
    www.digigrey.com

    JL, Sep 28, 2007
  5. Pooua

    Ali Guest

    Obviously we can't see the other photos you are talking about, so I will
    deal with the one you posted.

    What was the shutter speed?

    What was the shooting mode used? Aperture priority as you mentioned f/5?

    Ali, Sep 28, 2007
  6. Pooua

    Pooua Guest

    On Sep 28, 12:58 pm, "Ali" <> wrote:
    > Obviously we can't see the other photos you are talking about, so I will
    > deal with the one you posted.
    >
    > What was the shutter speed?
    >
    > What was the shooting mode used? Aperture priority as you mentioned f/5?

    Shutter speed was 1/8 sec, aperture priority, f/5, internal flash, ISO
    400, 20 mm
    Pooua, Sep 28, 2007
  7. Pooua

    Ali Guest

    There's your problem.

    1) 1/8 is usually too slow to hand hold without getting motion blur of the
    camera. Hence the blurry photo.

    2) Another thing worth noting is that your camera will work very differently
    with flash depending on the shooting mode you use. In AV, TV and M modes,
    the camera will fire the flash as a fill flash (to light the foreground),
    but will still expose the whole frame (including the background) normally,
    as it would if you didn't use flash. Hence the slow shutter speed. If you
    are using the on camera flash as the main light source, you should really
    use P mode. In P mode, it will set a high shutter speed so that you can
    hand hold the camera.

    A bit out of date, but a fantastic article to read:
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

    Ali, Sep 28, 2007
  8. Pooua

    Jim Guest

    "Pooua" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 28, 12:58 pm, "Ali" <> wrote:
    >> Obviously we can't see the other photos you are talking about, so I will
    >> deal with the one you posted.
    >>
    >> What was the shutter speed?
    >>
    >> What was the shooting mode used? Aperture priority as you mentioned f/5?

    > Shutter speed was 1/8 sec, aperture priority, f/5, internal flash, ISO
    > 400, 20 mm

    Unless you are using a tripod, the shutter speed seems more than a little
    too long. I try to keep the shutter speed no slower than 1/60 unless the
    lens focal length leads me to beleive that
    1/(focal length) yields a shorter time.
    Jim
    Jim, Sep 28, 2007
  9. Pooua

    Pooua Guest

    On Sep 28, 2:35 pm, "Ali" <> wrote:
    > There's your problem.
    >
    > 1) 1/8 is usually too slow to hand hold without getting motion blur of the
    > camera. Hence the blurry photo.

    Telling me that the shutter speed is too slow isn't really all that
    helpful. I wasn't adjusting shutter speed (the camera was); I was
    adjusting aperture and flash. But, what you said next is helpful.

    > 2) Another thing worth noting is that your camera will work very differently
    > with flash depending on the shooting mode you use. In AV, TV and M modes,
    > the camera will fire the flash as a fill flash (to light the foreground),
    > but will still expose the whole frame (including the background) normally,
    > as it would if you didn't use flash. Hence the slow shutter speed.

    That was the missing information that I needed. Thank you!

    > If you
    > are using the on camera flash as the main light source, you should really
    > use P mode. In P mode, it will set a high shutter speed so that you can
    > hand hold the camera.

    Very helpful.

    > A bit out of date, but a fantastic article to read:http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

    Thanks, that's useful.
    Pooua, Sep 30, 2007
  10. On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 02:18:31 -0700, Pooua <> wrote:

    >On Sep 28, 2:35 pm, "Ali" <> wrote:
    >> There's your problem.
    >>
    >> 1) 1/8 is usually too slow to hand hold without getting motion blur of the
    >> camera. Hence the blurry photo.

    >Telling me that the shutter speed is too slow isn't really all that
    >helpful. I wasn't adjusting shutter speed (the camera was); I was
    >adjusting aperture and flash. But, what you said next is helpful.

    The information was correct. Regardless of what you set yourself, you
    are in charge of the camera. It is your job to notice what settings
    the camera is using (and know whether they will work), or set them
    yourself. And to know the limits of your equipment and how to get the
    best out of it.

    Cameras cannot think. They just do specific programs that make sure
    there is enough light for the image. It doesn't care if the image
    stays sharp.

    To get the most out of your camera, you need to understand aperature,
    shutter speed, depth of field, etc. You can get some good books or
    look online. It will really make a huge difference in your
    photography.

    I know somebody who refuses to learn the technical aspects of
    exposure, and she is is hit and miss with great photos. Her
    composition is great, but she only gets great photos in great
    lighting. She is consistently surprised with bright blurry images.
    Meghan Noecker, Oct 11, 2007