  1. Mary Hanna

    Mary Hanna Guest

    Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    Mary Hanna, Sep 29, 2009

  2. Mary Hanna

    Richard Guest

    Mary Hanna wrote:

    > Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    Same for the PS3 - just dropped to 299US with their popular nigerian
    millionare add

    And its 599 here. at 0.71 it should be $430 or so.

    Richard, Sep 29, 2009

  3. Mary Hanna

    EMB Guest

    Mary Hanna wrote:

    > Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    Greedy importer so far as I can tell. Toyota Hiluxes are the same -
    take the VAT/GST out of the equation and we're paying 25% more than the
    UK do (and that doesn't take into account the UK import duty so the
    difference is more like 33%).

    EMB, Sep 29, 2009
  4. Mary Hanna

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:24:12 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Mary Hanna wrote:
    >>
    >> Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    >Same for the PS3 - just dropped to 299US with their popular nigerian
    >millionare add
    >
    >And its 599 here. at 0.71 it should be $430 or so.

    Well the Xbox Arcade and the new price for the Wii in the US is $199.99 us

    The Xbox Arcade bundle is listed at DSE at $345

    The Wii at the moment sell for $499 here, but the price has dropped world wide
    on the 27th Sep, $50 in the US, the Dom news paper today suggested that there
    would be a $70nz price drop here.

    But that still makes it $429 here, and from what shops are telling me its not
    a big seller here.

    This does not add up.

    Mary Hanna, Sep 29, 2009
  5. Mary Hanna

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > Mary Hanna wrote:
    >> Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    > Possibly something to do with New Zeaand being remote, having specific
    > regulatory demands (though common with Oz), and having the population
    > the size of a pretty mediocre city in other countries.
    >
    > A bit like everything else really.

    I've heard it said by a retailer that the demands of the CGA puts at least
    10% on the price of 'consumer goods'.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2009
  6. Mary Hanna

    impossible Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >> Mary Hanna wrote:
    >>> Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    >> Possibly something to do with New Zeaand being remote, having specific
    >> regulatory demands (though common with Oz), and having the population
    >> the size of a pretty mediocre city in other countries.
    >>
    >> A bit like everything else really.

    > I've heard it said by a retailer that the demands of the CGA puts at least
    > 10% on the price of 'consumer goods'.
    > --

    Bollocks! Without the CGA, many retailers would be struggling to lure
    unsuspecting suckers into their shops. So long as retailers are selling
    quality goods, the CGA costs them absolutely nothing.

    impossible, Sep 30, 2009
  7. Mary Hanna

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:21:21 +1300, "geoff" <> wrote:

    >Mary Hanna wrote:
    >> Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    >Possibly something to do with New Zeaand being remote, having specific
    >regulatory demands (though common with Oz), and having the population the
    >size of a pretty mediocre city in other countries.
    >
    >A bit like everything else really.
    >
    >geoff

    I am referring to the Xbox price versus the Wii price..

    Mary Hanna, Sep 30, 2009
  8. In article <h9u30n$6u6$-september.org>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >> Mary Hanna wrote:
    >>> Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    >> Possibly something to do with New Zeaand being remote, having specific
    >> regulatory demands (though common with Oz), and having the population
    >> the size of a pretty mediocre city in other countries.
    >>
    >> A bit like everything else really.

    >I've heard it said by a retailer that the demands of the CGA puts at least
    >10% on the price of 'consumer goods'.

    That would tally with what I heard about many small appliances ... 'we
    import 1.1 times what we can sell ... the 0.1 is for warrant replacements
    as we can't/won't/don/t fix them'.

    Interesting if true ... what they appear to be saying is that their products
    are ~ 10 % crap - which I would have thought would be a high failure rate
    for any business. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 30, 2009
  9. Mary Hanna

    Mutlley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >> Mary Hanna wrote:
    >>> Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    >> Possibly something to do with New Zeaand being remote, having specific
    >> regulatory demands (though common with Oz), and having the population
    >> the size of a pretty mediocre city in other countries.
    >>
    >> A bit like everything else really.

    >I've heard it said by a retailer that the demands of the CGA puts at least
    >10% on the price of 'consumer goods'.

    Pity that the likes of Amazon won't ship these things to you. Take
    chance with the warranty..

    Mutlley, Sep 30, 2009
  10. Mary Hanna

    JohnO Guest

    On Sep 30, 11:50 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >
    > > Mary Hanna wrote:
    > >> Can some one please explain  or is it just a greedy importer.?

    > > Possibly something to do with New Zeaand being remote, having specific
    > > regulatory demands (though common with Oz), and having the population
    > > the size of a pretty mediocre city in other countries.

    > > A bit like everything else really.

    > I've heard it said by a retailer that the demands of the CGA puts at least
    > 10% on the price of 'consumer goods'.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    But universally demanded customer service levels in US retail stores
    easily match the CGA. It is just assumed there that you can return
    anything you buy if found to be unsuitable.

    JohnO, Sep 30, 2009
  11. Mary Hanna

    JohnO Guest

    On Sep 29, 7:10 pm, Mary Hanna <> wrote:
    > Can some one please explain  or is it just a greedy importer.?

    How about Nintendo DS-i - $399 here, $169 in the US. That is about NZ
    $269 incl gst @ 0.71. The difference of $130 is excessive. Shipping in
    bulk to NZ would be almost negligible.

    JohnO, Sep 30, 2009
  12. On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:36:30 +1300, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Possibly something to do with New Zeaand being remote, having specific
    >>> regulatory demands (though common with Oz), and having the population
    >>> the size of a pretty mediocre city in other countries.
    >>>
    >>> A bit like everything else really.

    >>I've heard it said by a retailer that the demands of the CGA puts at least
    >>10% on the price of 'consumer goods'.

    >Pity that the likes of Amazon won't ship these things to you. Take
    >chance with the warranty..

    There is a service for NZers that provides a USA address for shipments
    and on-ships them to you. I have never used them, but they still seem
    to be in business:

    http://buyusa.co.nz/

    Stephen Worthington, Sep 30, 2009
  13. Mary Hanna

    me Guest

    On Sep 29, 7:24 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Mary Hanna wrote:
    >
    > > Can some one please explain  or is it just a greedy importer.?

    > Same for the PS3 - just dropped to 299US with their popular nigerian
    > millionare add
    >
    > And its 599 here. at 0.71 it should be $430 or so.

    Plus GST, plus the reseller in NZ will pay more than the Nintendo US
    for the Wii, and DS etc

    me, Sep 30, 2009
  14. Mary Hanna

    JohnO Guest

    On Sep 30, 3:49 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > On Sep 29, 7:10 pm, Mary Hanna <> wrote:
    > >> Can some one please explain or is it just a greedy importer.?

    > > How about Nintendo DS-i - $399 here, $169 in the US. That is about NZ
    > > $269 incl gst @ 0.71. The difference of $130 is excessive. Shipping in
    > > bulk to NZ would be almost negligible.

    > NZ does not have the power of  bulk buying anywhere near the same scale as
    > most other countries.

    Yeah right - $130 in economy of scale? I don't think so.

    > And we are as remote as you can get.

    Given the low cost of freight, what has remoteness got to do with it?

    > You presuably weren't around in the 60s and 70s,

    Was too, and I recall at the time that the NZ$ had parity with the US
    $. Freight was hideously inefficient, overpriced and unionised though.
    But the main problem was import licencing.

    > cos its much much better
    > here now.

    Just because it is better doesn't mean it is good enough.

    JohnO, Sep 30, 2009
  15. Mary Hanna

    impossible Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've heard it said by a retailer that the demands of the CGA puts at
    >>> least 10% on the price of 'consumer goods'.
    >>> --

    >> Bollocks! Without the CGA, many retailers would be struggling to lure
    >> unsuspecting suckers into their shops. So long as retailers are
    >> selling quality goods, the CGA costs them absolutely nothing.

    > No, but it costs the distributor, wrt necessary parts that they have to
    > carry, at the same low-quantity (= more expensive cost) as the original
    > stock cost.

    What "parts"? Nearly everything is covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

    > A company I contract to pays more for some items than they can be
    > purchased for off the street in New York. And if they want to be the
    > offical distributor, they HAVE to purchase the stock from the prime
    > company.

    Nothing to do with the CGA.

    impossible, Sep 30, 2009
  16. Mary Hanna

    impossible Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >> What "parts"? Nearly everything is covered by the manufacturer's
    >> warranty.

    > Um, the dudes liable are the local distributors. They have to either
    > stock parts, or carry the cost of replacement.

    The cost of replacement is borne by the manufacturer under warranty.

    >>> A company I contract to pays more for some items than they can be
    >>> purchased for off the street in New York. And if they want to be the
    >>> offical distributor, they HAVE to purchase the stock from the prime
    >>> company.
    >>>

    >> Nothing to do with the CGA.

    > No, but everything to do with the price dealers pay for stock in NZ.

    Wrong subthread -- perhaps if you weren't so anxious to delete the content
    of posts, you could follow along better.

    impossible, Sep 30, 2009
  17. Mary Hanna

    impossible Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:

    >>> NZ does not have the power of bulk buying anywhere near the same
    >>> scale as most other countries.

    >> Yeah right - $130 in economy of scale? I don't think so.

    > I do.
    >

    >>> And we are as remote as you can get.

    >> Given the low cost of freight, what has remoteness got to do with it?

    > Whatever your 'low cost of freight' is, it's still more than most other
    > places. And scale applies there too.

    $130 to ship a Wii box? Is that your claim?

    impossible, Sep 30, 2009
  18. Mary Hanna

    JohnO Guest

    On Sep 30, 4:20 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:

    > >> NZ does not have the power of bulk buying anywhere near the same
    > >> scale as most other countries.

    > > Yeah right - $130 in economy of scale? I don't think so.

    > I do.
    >

    > >> And we are as remote as you can get.

    > > Given the low cost of freight, what has remoteness got to do with it?

    > Whatever your 'low cost of freight' is, it's still more than most other
    > places. And scale applies there too.

    It is in the order of a dollar or two to sea freight a Wii console to
    NZ. Not eating much of that $130.

    > And as there is parallel distribution allowed now, you have the choice to
    > buy at a price unencumbered by the complexities of service and support - try

    There is no service or support for Nintendo in NZ.. The 0800 number
    goes to Australia and is Australia eastern time only.

    And before you suggest purchasing from Australia - their price is
    barely any cheaper than NZ despite their economy of scale.

    > it and stop whinging, or import your own whatever, as the cost of freight is
    > so 'low'.

    The Wii is region specific and PAL/NTSC specific. You *do* realise
    that, don't you?

    JohnO, Sep 30, 2009
  19. Mary Hanna

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Sep 30, 11:50 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:

    >>> Possibly something to do with New Zeaand being remote, having
    >>> specific regulatory demands (though common with Oz), and having the
    >>> population the size of a pretty mediocre city in other countries.

    >>> A bit like everything else really.

    >> I've heard it said by a retailer that the demands of the CGA puts at
    >> least 10% on the price of 'consumer goods'.

    > But universally demanded customer service levels in US retail stores
    > easily match the CGA. It is just assumed there that you can return
    > anything you buy if found to be unsuitable.

    But is it legislated? Can it be upheld in court?

    I'm not talking about returning unsuitable goods anyway, the CGA doesn't
    deal with that. I'm talking about getting a TV fixed or replaced with an
    equal or better model three years after you bought it if it's faulty. I bet
    they don't get that in the US of A.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2009
  20. Mary Hanna

    me Guest

    On Sep 30, 4:46 pm, JohnO <> wrote:

    > The Wii  is region specific and PAL/NTSC specific. You *do* realise
    > that, don't you?

    All that means is you have to import your games as well. The issue is
    Nintendo are a pain and only supply local voltage power supplies with
    their consoles.

    me, Sep 30, 2009