Why is the US killing the World.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, Jul 18, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    Its its Total greed that to me that is doing it

    The music industry will attempt to seize money paid to acquire the Pirate Bay,
    according to a high-level music industry source and a spokesman for the
    International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), the trade group
    representing the music industry worldwide.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10288495-93.html

    Hollywood Thinks People Pirate Movies With Cell Phones

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jul/14/mobile-phones-and-movie-security

    Another example of just how clueless Hollywood still is when it comes to how
    movies are leaked. Could you imagine watching a cell phone recorded movie?
    Even better, imagine trying to record a full length movie on a cell phone.
    You'd better bring an extra battery.

    If you go to a big preview screening, a privilege given to the press, you'll
    be asked to leave your mobile phone in a baggie behind a counter at the front
    of the cinema. The film industry says that this is a necessary precaution
    against the hypothetical losses that would result should someone use a mobile
    phone to "camcord" (that is, record from the audience) a pre-release movie and
    leak it onto the internet.

    Something else that bothers me is how only U.S. totals for movies are given
    when mentioned in articles like this. Wolverine, citied as one of the pirated
    movies this summer, was listed as having a $177M total when in fact the movie
    actually pulled in almost $364M worldwide, hardly a "flop" by any stretch of
    the imagination. I’m not saying piracy isn’t a problem, I am just saying that
    movies like the Dark Knight were available on the internet on day one and
    still grossed almost a billion dollars (same with Star War Episode I thru III,
    Spiderman, Harry Potter, etc. etc.). Maybe sales totals don’t have as much to
    do with piracy as they do with overall quality of the movies?

    Woger, Jul 18, 2009

  2. Woger

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:05:31 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    >Its its Total greed that to me that is doing it
    >

    >The music industry will attempt to seize money paid to acquire the Pirate Bay,
    >according to a high-level music industry source and a spokesman for the
    >International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), the trade group
    >representing the music industry worldwide.
    >
    >http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10288495-93.html
    >

    >Hollywood Thinks People Pirate Movies With Cell Phones
    >
    >http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jul/14/mobile-phones-and-movie-security
    >
    >Another example of just how clueless Hollywood still is when it comes to how
    >movies are leaked. Could you imagine watching a cell phone recorded movie?
    >Even better, imagine trying to record a full length movie on a cell phone.
    >You'd better bring an extra battery.
    >
    >If you go to a big preview screening, a privilege given to the press, you'll
    >be asked to leave your mobile phone in a baggie behind a counter at the front
    >of the cinema. The film industry says that this is a necessary precaution
    >against the hypothetical losses that would result should someone use a mobile
    >phone to "camcord" (that is, record from the audience) a pre-release movie and
    >leak it onto the internet.
    >
    >Something else that bothers me is how only U.S. totals for movies are given
    >when mentioned in articles like this. Wolverine, citied as one of the pirated
    >movies this summer, was listed as having a $177M total when in fact the movie
    >actually pulled in almost $364M worldwide, hardly a "flop" by any stretch of
    >the imagination. I’m not saying piracy isn’t a problem, I am just saying that
    >movies like the Dark Knight were available on the internet on day one and
    >still grossed almost a billion dollars (same with Star War Episode I thru III,
    >Spiderman, Harry Potter, etc. etc.). Maybe sales totals don’t have as much to
    >do with piracy as they do with overall quality of the movies?

    I think you're right about overall quality. We are well past the
    'Hollywood Golden Period'. I was given some free new-hire vouchers
    and in spite of going down there four times I haven't found anything I
    want to hire.

    What kind of cell phones can record video anywhere near good enough in
    quality to be of any real use for recording movies? From what I have
    seen the quality is worse than VHS. Who would want that?

    Something occurred to me recently when browsing DVDs at The Warehouse,
    about how the music industry bleet on about how 'illegal downloads'
    are killing the music industry with falling CD sales, etc, I have
    never heard mention how sale of music DVDs are affecting CD sales.
    With the quality of sound systems connected to many home theatres I
    would say many are opting for music DVDs in place of CDs. I am
    certainly thinking that way myself.

    Nighthawk, Jul 18, 2009

  3. Woger

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-18, Woger <> wrote:

    > Its its Total greed that to me that is doing it

    Bulls eye here, at least in part. Rest blow away by Roger.

    > The music industry will attempt to seize money paid to acquire the Pirate Bay,
    > according to a high-level music industry source and a spokesman for the
    > International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), the trade group
    > representing the music industry worldwide.
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10288495-93.html

    This has to be archived.

    How does the whoever think that grabbing some of the money from the sale
    will help?

    Still the seed of the idea that profit might be possible from the torrent.
    Oh sorry, I have swung the gate open and they are headed they other way
    again.

    Interesting how money changes everything eh? First it is the ^%$#$%^, all
    the $zillions we are losing every second thru "rip offs" and
    then it is, Oh good you can hand us some of the money from the sale from the
    "company" which has been sucessful.

    Ms Penguin says they need a fishing rod, not lawyers.

    Gordon, Jul 18, 2009
  4. Hi there,

    Woger wrote:

    > Its its Total greed that to me that is doing it

    Greed is behind much of what you see in this world Roger.

    This quotation speaks volumes for me...

    "They must find it hard... those who have taken authority as
    the truth rather than truth as the authority..."

    The veil which the ruling class hide behind is becoming more
    and more translucent. Thats why the elites are pushing more
    and more fascist dictum upon us, in a hurried attempt to
    totally control us before we wake the **** up and stand united
    against them.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 21, 2009
  5. Woger

    impossible Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jul/14/mobile-phones-and-movie-security
    >
    > Another example of just how clueless Hollywood still is when it comes to
    > how
    > movies are leaked. Could you imagine watching a cell phone recorded movie?

    That's what I thought, until I read this from one of nz.comp's esteemed
    pirates:

    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/352d7caf898cf60d

    "...now I just download what I want, watch in in a media
    player, Handbrake it for the iPod, stick it on the netbook. "

    impossible, Jul 22, 2009