    difference? Am I missing osmething?

    Thanks,
    praty77
    Praty77, Apr 15, 2004

  2. "Praty77" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was looking up an additional canon s50 battery... it costs $5 on
    > ebay (plenty of sellers) and $45 on amazon and other sites. Why this
    > difference? Am I missing osmething?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > praty77

    Most all the ones on Ebay are generics-- and many are only 7.2 volts but
    most have high amperage ratings-- 600 mah up to 1000 or more. Many of them
    tout that the cells are Japanese- though the pack are assembled in other
    locations. I suspect the ones on Amazon are Canon brand which are 7.4 volts,
    570 mah.

    I'm looking to pick up some spares too and am thinking of trying the Ebay
    cheapies. I suspect they're good enough-- as long as they don't fry the
    camera or charger.

    Be interesting to hear from some folks who bought the Ebay ones...

    Dan'l.
    Daniel Dravot, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Praty77

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (Praty77) wrote in

    > I was looking up an additional canon s50 battery... it costs $5 on
    > ebay (plenty of sellers) and $45 on amazon and other sites. Why this
    > difference? Am I missing osmething?

    Try http://www.sterlingtek.com. They sell generic batteries which work just
    as well as Canon batteries.

    You can probably buy the same generics on eBay, but at least with
    Sterlingtek you know they'll ship a decent battery to you : )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Praty77

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Daniel Dravot" <> wrote in

    > Be interesting to hear from some folks who bought the Ebay ones...

    I bought from Sterlingtek.com and they work great. The battery was almost
    identical to the canon one except the case was black. Lasts just as long -
    no difference once in the camera/charger.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Praty77

    Praty77 Guest

    okay folks, I have bought two 1200mah lithium batteries for $14 (inc
    shipping) from ebay. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I am
    hoping it does not fry my equipment.

    praty77

    Praty77, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Praty77

    EnEsX Guest

    In article <>, Praty77
    <> wrote:

    > okay folks, I have bought two 1200mah lithium batteries for $14 (inc
    > shipping) from ebay. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I am
    > hoping it does not fry my equipment.
    >
    > praty77
    > Lucas Tam <> wrote in message
    > > (Praty77) wrote in
    > >
    > > > I was looking up an additional canon s50 battery... it costs $5 on
    > > > ebay (plenty of sellers) and $45 on amazon and other sites. Why this
    > > > difference? Am I missing osmething?

    > > Try http://www.sterlingtek.com. They sell generic batteries which work just
    > > as well as Canon batteries.
    > >
    > > You can probably buy the same generics on eBay, but at least with
    > > Sterlingtek you know they'll ship a decent battery to you : )

    My brother bought one of those $10-$15 batteries for his S45. Lasted
    one charge cycle and no longer charged. You get what you pay for. He
    bought an genuine Canon battery and it works perfectly. I bought two
    genuine Canon batteries for my S45. Best Buy sells an Engergizer
    equivalent for $50. Amazon has original Canons for $41.
    EnEsX, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Praty77

    alien991 Guest

    my spare batteries purchased from ebay work ok so far. we'll see how
    long it'll work before it conk out.

    alien991, Apr 21, 2004
  8. Praty77

    wiley Guest

    "Daniel Dravot" <> wrote in message

    > Be interesting to hear from some folks who bought the Ebay ones...

    Use Ebay's Advanced search engine ~ Completed Auctions, and email the
    winning bidders through ebays contact member link.

    wiley, Apr 22, 2004
  9. "wiley" <> wrote in message
    > "Daniel Dravot" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Be interesting to hear from some folks who bought the Ebay ones...

    > Use Ebay's Advanced search engine ~ Completed Auctions, and email the
    > winning bidders through ebays contact member link.
    > >
    > > Dan'l.-

    I ended up ordering several MC2 brand 7.4 v, 700 mAH from
    http://www.After5PM.net in California who offer several different brands for
    sale. Most of them seem pretty high quality and prices are definitely on the
    low side for what you get. I also found good customer service, a well
    organized company and fast free delivery.

    So far so good on charge time (pretty quick) and how long they last in the
    cam (noticeably more than the Canon OEM batt).

    Dan'l.
    Daniel Dravot, Apr 22, 2004