    connected
    previously.

    Anyhow it's probably a bit of a red herring regarding my SATA boot ptoblems.
    R. Giggs., Nov 7, 2012

  2. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:
    > Just to seperate this from the previous thread, but I noticed when I added
    > a SATA drive as slave it appears as I: (or i:) on the drive list.
    > I was puzzled why this was when I fist saw this,.the only theory I have goes
    > like
    > this. I have my boot drive c: and it's recovery partition d: (on a side note
    > it is odd
    > perhaps that d: appears before c: when evey you display the partitions on
    > the drive.
    > Then I have the DVD drive e: and I have had USB drives on g: and h:
    > so maybe i: was just the next letter available when I cloned the drive,
    > however
    > I am pretty sure I had no USB drives connected when I cloned the drive so
    > that's
    > a bit odd to me. It is lilke windows remebers which drives have been
    > connected
    > previously.
    >
    > Anyhow it's probably a bit of a red herring regarding my SATA boot ptoblems.

    Driver letter usage is recorded in the Registry.

    If you use Regedit, there is a key "\DosDevices\C:"
    in MountedDevices. And you can see all your drive letters
    in there. Now, I've *never* used the letter "O" for
    a drive, and in honor of that fact, there is no
    "\DosDevices\O:" showing in the list of keys there.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 8, 2012

  3. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >> Just to seperate this from the previous thread, but I noticed when I
    >> added
    >> a SATA drive as slave it appears as I: (or i:) on the drive list.
    >> I was puzzled why this was when I fist saw this,.the only theory I have
    >> goes like
    >> this. I have my boot drive c: and it's recovery partition d: (on a side
    >> note it is odd
    >> perhaps that d: appears before c: when evey you display the partitions on
    >> the drive.
    >> Then I have the DVD drive e: and I have had USB drives on g: and h:
    >> so maybe i: was just the next letter available when I cloned the drive,
    >> however
    >> I am pretty sure I had no USB drives connected when I cloned the drive so
    >> that's
    >> a bit odd to me. It is lilke windows remebers which drives have been
    >> connected
    >> previously.
    >>
    >> Anyhow it's probably a bit of a red herring regarding my SATA boot
    >> ptoblems.

    > Driver letter usage is recorded in the Registry.
    >
    > If you use Regedit, there is a key "\DosDevices\C:"
    > in MountedDevices. And you can see all your drive letters
    > in there. Now, I've *never* used the letter "O" for
    > a drive, and in honor of that fact, there is no
    > "\DosDevices\O:" showing in the list of keys there.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for that!!

    But as you probably already know I have cloned using Acronis and it worked,
    my drives are :C and D: as normal!!

    Maybe I will try cloning again to the SMART error drive to see what happens?
    R. Giggs., Nov 8, 2012