Why is my Mozilla so damn slow?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jukka Hellen, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Jukka Hellen

    Jukka Hellen Guest

    I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one thing
    for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my computers. I have
    one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it with win2k also) and one
    PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using Mozilla 1.4 now but I have tried
    almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.

    Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using Firebird
    for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark olders , the
    folders open about 1sec after :( In Opera and Konqueror they open
    immediately.

    Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as Mozillas

    Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages but
    the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had chewinggum
    sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also ;) This is mostly when I
    use drag n' drop to move text.

    Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus are
    really quick in both Win and Lin.

    Jukka Hellen, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Jukka Hellen

    dantu Guest

    Jukka Hellen wrote:

    > I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one
    > thing for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my computers.
    > I have one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it with win2k also)
    > and one PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using Mozilla 1.4 now but I
    > have tried almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.
    >
    > Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using
    > Firebird for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark
    > olders , the folders open about 1sec after :( In Opera and Konqueror
    > they open immediately.
    >
    > Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as Mozillas
    >
    > Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages
    > but the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had
    > chewinggum sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also ;) This is
    > mostly when I use drag n' drop to move text.
    >
    > Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus
    > are really quick in both Win and Lin.

    Jukka

    Does your system meet the minimum requirements for Mozilla?
    Operating system Windows 98 Second Edition
    Windows Millennium Edition
    Windows NT 4.0
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Processor Pentium 233 MHz (or faster)
    RAM 64 MB
    Free hard disk space^†
    <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#note-freedisk>
    26 MB

    Are you running any other programs in the background?

    Are you sharing the same profile between Mozilla and
    Firebird/Thunderbird? if so, dont. Use separate profiles for each
    Take a look at your bookmarks file, is it of a large size? This is the
    result of sharing profiles.

    Create a new profile for each, and use them exclusively with that program
    If the speed improves greatly with the new profile, then you have found
    the problem.

    dantu, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Jukka Hellen

    Jukka Hellen Guest

    dantu wrote:
    > Jukka Hellen wrote:
    >
    >> I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one
    >> thing for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my computers.
    >> I have one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it with win2k also)
    >> and one PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using Mozilla 1.4 now but I
    >> have tried almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.
    >>
    >> Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using
    >> Firebird for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark
    >> olders , the folders open about 1sec after :( In Opera and Konqueror
    >> they open immediately.
    >>
    >> Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as Mozillas
    >>
    >> Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages
    >> but the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had
    >> chewinggum sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also ;) This is
    >> mostly when I use drag n' drop to move text.
    >>
    >> Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus
    >> are really quick in both Win and Lin.
    >>

    > Jukka
    >
    > Does your system meet the minimum requirements for Mozilla?
    > Operating system Windows 98 Second Edition
    > Windows Millennium Edition
    > Windows NT 4.0
    > Windows 2000
    > Windows XP
    > Processor Pentium 233 MHz (or faster)
    > RAM 64 MB
    > Free hard disk space^†
    > <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#note-freedisk>
    > 26 MB

    Yup my system meets those requirements.

    > Are you running any other programs in the background?

    Yup I'm running programs in the background but I have them running when
    I'm using Opera too but that doesn't seem to complain. I have tried
    Konqueror in Linux too and it seems to be speedy.

    > Are you sharing the same profile between Mozilla and
    > Firebird/Thunderbird? if so, dont. Use separate profiles for each
    > Take a look at your bookmarks file, is it of a large size? This is the
    > result of sharing profiles.

    It seems to be using different profiles. One for Mozilla and one for
    Phoenix. My bookamarks.html was just 40Kb so it wasn't that big.

    > Create a new profile for each, and use them exclusively with that program
    > If the speed improves greatly with the new profile, then you have found
    > the problem.

    I haven't found the right medicine yet :(

    Jukka Hellen, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Jukka Hellen

    dantu Guest

    Jukka Hellen wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> Jukka Hellen wrote:
    >>
    >>> I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one
    >>> thing for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my
    >>> computers. I have one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it
    >>> with win2k also) and one PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using
    >>> Mozilla 1.4 now but I have tried almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using
    >>> Firebird for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark
    >>> olders , the folders open about 1sec after :( In Opera and Konqueror
    >>> they open immediately.
    >>>
    >>> Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as
    >>> Mozillas
    >>>
    >>> Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages
    >>> but the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had
    >>> chewinggum sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also ;) This is
    >>> mostly when I use drag n' drop to move text.
    >>>
    >>> Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus
    >>> are really quick in both Win and Lin.
    >>>

    >> Jukka
    >>
    >> Does your system meet the minimum requirements for Mozilla?
    >> Operating system Windows 98 Second Edition
    >> Windows Millennium Edition
    >> Windows NT 4.0
    >> Windows 2000
    >> Windows XP
    >> Processor Pentium 233 MHz (or faster)
    >> RAM 64 MB
    >> Free hard disk space^†
    >> <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#note-freedisk>
    >> 26 MB

    > Yup my system meets those requirements.
    >

    >> Are you running any other programs in the background?
    >>

    > Yup I'm running programs in the background but I have them running
    > when I'm using Opera too but that doesn't seem to complain. I have
    > tried Konqueror in Linux too and it seems to be speedy.
    >
    >> Are you sharing the same profile between Mozilla and
    >> Firebird/Thunderbird? if so, dont. Use separate profiles for each
    >> Take a look at your bookmarks file, is it of a large size? This is
    >> the result of sharing profiles.

    > It seems to be using different profiles. One for Mozilla and one for
    > Phoenix. My bookamarks.html was just 40Kb so it wasn't that big.
    >

    >> Create a new profile for each, and use them exclusively with that
    >> program
    >> If the speed improves greatly with the new profile, then you have
    >> found the problem.
    >>

    > I haven't found the right medicine yet :(

    Have you tried a new profile?

    dantu, Nov 27, 2003