why is my computer showing wrong connection?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I used to have comcast cable internet service a few months ago at my other
    residence. I have since deleted all of my info pertaining to comcast and
    have did a full search on my pc to make sure all are gone

    When i do a netstat -a i see a ip address.client.comcast.net
    so for some reason i'm connected to comcast? i have all updated AV's
    firewall etc... why is that connection there?
    I now have dsl with a diff modem and am completely confused
    any help would be greatly appreciated,
    brad

    Guest, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Guest

    just ask Guest

    You may want to rename your connection.

    Go to the control panel
    Network Connections
    You can name the connection anything you want pretty much

    just ask, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    it's renamed to roadlynx that's my new isp but it show a connection to
    comcast w/ a comcast ip address that changes frequently

    Guest, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Guest

    Duane Arnold Guest

    <brad> wrote in news:40cbb75f$:

    > it's renamed to roadlynx that's my new isp but it show a connection to
    > comcast w/ a comcast ip address that changes frequently
    >
    > "just ask" <> wrote in message
    >> You may want to rename your connection.
    >>
    >> Go to the control panel
    >> Network Connections
    >> You can name the connection anything you want pretty much
    >>
    >> <brad> wrote in message news:40cba3bc$...

    Then you may have to use Active Ports (free) and see what process/program
    is making the remote connection to the IP.

    And it may be that the process/program that is making the connection such
    as svchost.exe is only the host. You may need Process Explorer (free) to
    look inside a process/program to see what processes or programs are using
    it as one of them may be it. You can use PE to look inside other programs
    as well. You can right-click a running tasks and PE will give good info.

    The link does talk about the tools I have mentioned above for detection.

    I put a short-cut for Active Ports in the Start folder so I can get a
    clear picture as to what is happening with connections at system boot.

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Duane :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 13, 2004