Why is my computer sending emails?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Fred, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I recently received this message for an email I had not sent, yet from
    my domain.

    Can anyone tell me what this is about?

    "Mail Delivery Subsystem <>

    <>
    (reason: 550 ... No such user)

    .... while talking to [192.168.39.16]:
    >>> DATA

    <<< 550 ... No such user
    550 5.1.1 <>... User
    unknown................."

    Fred
    Fred, Jan 28, 2008

  2. When a computer has been enhanced with a virus, it will often send e-mails
    that you do not expect.

    I suggest you scan for and remove any virual enhancement that might be on
    your machine.

    Jeff Strickland, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Fred

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jan 28, 7:33 pm, Fred <> wrote:
    > I recently received this message for an email I had not sent, yet from
    > my domain.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what this is about?
    >
    > "Mail Delivery Subsystem <>
    >
    > ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > <>
    > (reason: 550 ... No such user)
    >
    > ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > ... while talking to [192.168.39.16]:>>> DATA
    >
    > <<< 550 ... No such user
    > 550 5.1.1 <>... User
    > unknown................."
    >
    > Fred

    Why is my computer sending emails?
    It's looking for ET!!
    sandy58, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Fred

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:33:31 -0800, Fred wrote:

    > I recently received this message for an email I had not sent, yet from
    > my domain.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what this is about?
    >
    > "Mail Delivery Subsystem <>
    >
    > ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > <>
    > (reason: 550 ... No such user)
    >
    > ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > ... while talking to [192.168.39.16]:

    > <<< 550 ... No such user 550 5.1.1
    > <>... User unknown................."
    >
    > Fred

    It's just telling you that the users address the email was sent to is
    invalid. You probably forwarded an email to someone without striping out
    all the original headers and this particular address is bad.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jan 28, 2008
  5. "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:33:31 -0800, Fred wrote:
    >
    >> I recently received this message for an email I had not sent, yet from
    >> my domain.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me what this is about?
    >>
    >> "Mail Delivery Subsystem <>
    >>
    >> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    >> <>
    >> (reason: 550 ... No such user)
    >>
    >> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    >> ... while talking to [192.168.39.16]:

    >> <<< 550 ... No such user 550 5.1.1
    >> <>... User unknown................."
    >>
    >> Fred

    > It's just telling you that the users address the email was sent to is
    > invalid. You probably forwarded an email to someone without striping out
    > all the original headers and this particular address is bad.

    That's a far rosier outlook than my idea of a virual enhancement.
    Jeff Strickland, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Fred

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:13:48 +0000, Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:33:31 -0800, Fred wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently received this message for an email I had not sent, yet from
    >>> my domain.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me what this is about?
    >>>
    >>> "Mail Delivery Subsystem <>
    >>>
    >>> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    >>> <>
    >>> (reason: 550 ... No such user)
    >>>
    >>> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    >>> ... while talking to [192.168.39.16]:
    >>> <<< 550 ... No such user 550 5.1.1
    >>> <>... User unknown................."
    >>>
    >>> Fred

    >> It's just telling you that the users address the email was sent to is
    >> invalid. You probably forwarded an email to someone without striping
    >> out all the original headers and this particular address is bad.
    >>

    > That's a far rosier outlook than my idea of a virual enhancement.

    Well, if he's got unexpected emails going out every five minutes to
    everybody in his email book, yeah, he's got problems, but a single
    returned failure isn't unusual.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jan 28, 2008
  7. Fred

    Fred Guest

    On 28 Jan, 23:13, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:33:31 -0800, Fred wrote:

    > >> I recently received this message for an email I had not sent, yet from
    > >> my domain.

    > >> Can anyone tell me what this is about?

    > >> "Mail Delivery Subsystem <>

    > >>  ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > >> <>
    > >>     (reason: 550 ... No such user)

    > >>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > >> ... while talking to [192.168.39.16]:
    > >> <<< 550 ... No such user 550 5.1.1
    > >> <>... User unknown................."

    > >> Fred

    > > It's just telling you that the users address the email was sent to is
    > > invalid.  You probably forwarded an email to someone without striping out
    > > all the original headers and this particular address  is bad.

    > That's a far rosier outlook than my idea of a virual enhancement.- Hide quoted text -

    The Original Author Replys
    "... No such user "

    The virus check yielded nothing.

    I think the computer was writing to the Office for the High Commission
    for Human Rights.

    Something has upset it or sombody using this computer or memory stick
    even, has drafted an email to OHCHR and it was left in the memory
    somewhere. Something kicked it into life and it was sent when the
    computer was switched on. Or the OHCHR is a front for a spy network
    and is reporting on the emails I am sending and something went wrong.
    Well those are my theories!
    Fred, Jan 28, 2008
  8. Fred

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    On 28 Jan, 23:13, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:33:31 -0800, Fred wrote:

    > >> I recently received this message for an email I had not sent, yet from
    > >> my domain.

    > >> Can anyone tell me what this is about?

    > >> "Mail Delivery Subsystem <>

    > >> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > >> <>
    > >> (reason: 550 ... No such user)

    > >> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > >> ... while talking to [192.168.39.16]:
    > >> <<< 550 ... No such user 550 5.1.1
    > >> <>... User unknown................."

    > >> Fred

    > > It's just telling you that the users address the email was sent to is
    > > invalid. You probably forwarded an email to someone without striping out
    > > all the original headers and this particular address is bad.

    > That's a far rosier outlook than my idea of a virual enhancement.- Hide
    > quoted text -

    The Original Author Replys
    "... No such user "

    The virus check yielded nothing.

    I think the computer was writing to the Office for the High Commission
    for Human Rights.

    Something has upset it or sombody using this computer or memory stick
    even, has drafted an email to OHCHR and it was left in the memory
    somewhere. Something kicked it into life and it was sent when the
    computer was switched on. Or the OHCHR is a front for a spy network
    and is reporting on the emails I am sending and something went wrong.
    Well those are my theories!

    -------

    Either your machine is infected (a virus checker can miss it) or someone
    has your email address in their Contacts, their machine is infected, it's
    sending out emails using your email address, and it's being retuned to you,
    when the address is invalid where the email was sent.
    Mr. Arnold, Jan 29, 2008
  9. Fred

    Fred Guest

    On 29 Jan, 00:53, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    > "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > On 28 Jan, 23:13, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > > > It's just telling you that the users address the email was sent to is
    > > > invalid. You probably forwarded an email to someone without striping out
    > > > all the original headers and this particular address is bad.

    > > That's a far rosier outlook than my idea of a virual enhancement.- Hide
    > > quoted text -

    > The Original Author Replys
    > "... No such user "
    >
    > The virus check yielded nothing.
    >
    > I think the computer was writing to the Office for the High Commission
    > for Human Rights.
    >
    > Something has upset it or sombody using this computer or memory stick
    > even, has drafted an email to OHCHR and it was left in the memory
    > somewhere. Something kicked it into life and it was sent when the
    > computer was switched on. Or the OHCHR is a front for a spy network
    > and is reporting on the emails I am sending and something went wrong.
    > Well those are my theories!
    >
    > -------
    >
    > Either your machine is infected (a virus checker  can miss it) or someone
    > has your email address in their Contacts, their machine  is infected, it's
    > sending out emails using your email address, and it's being retuned to you,
    > when the address is invalid where the email was sent.- Hide quoted text -

    Thankyou - As this was a one off, that must be the explanation.
    Fred
    Fred, Jan 29, 2008
  10. "Fred" <> wrote in message
    On 28 Jan, 23:13, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:33:31 -0800, Fred wrote:

    > >> I recently received this message for an email I had not sent, yet from
    > >> my domain.

    > >> Can anyone tell me what this is about?

    > >> "Mail Delivery Subsystem <>

    > >> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > >> <>
    > >> (reason: 550 ... No such user)

    > >> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > >> ... while talking to [192.168.39.16]:
    > >> <<< 550 ... No such user 550 5.1.1
    > >> <>... User unknown................."

    > >> Fred

    > > It's just telling you that the users address the email was sent to is
    > > invalid. You probably forwarded an email to someone without striping out
    > > all the original headers and this particular address is bad.

    > That's a far rosier outlook than my idea of a virual enhancement.- Hide
    > quoted text -

    The Original Author Replys
    "... No such user "

    The virus check yielded nothing.

    This supports the idea that you hit the Reply All button and sent a message
    to a bad e-mail address. You might have a copy of the original message in
    your Sent Items folder.

    If a message came to you, and you replied, AND one of the addresses was
    incorrect, then you would get a Failure Notification. The notification is
    telling you that an address you sent to is invalid. More accurately, a
    message left your email account bound for another email account and the
    recipient account does not exist as it is entered. My guess is, mthere is no
    such account with elipses ( ... ) in the address.
    Jeff Strickland, Jan 29, 2008
  11. Fred

    vanmier Guest

    Check the "To" line in the header and see if there is more than one e-mail
    address listed. It could be a bot trolling your domain server for active
    e-mail accounts.

    Vanmier

    vanmier, Jan 30, 2008
  12. Fred

    Robert Baer Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > On 29 Jan, 00:53, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    >
    >>"Fred" <> wrote in message

    >>On 28 Jan, 23:13, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    >>>That's a far rosier outlook than my idea of a virual enhancement.- Hide
    >>>quoted text -

    >>The Original Author Replys
    >>"... No such user "
    >>
    >>The virus check yielded nothing.
    >>
    >>I think the computer was writing to the Office for the High Commission
    >>for Human Rights.
    >>
    >>Something has upset it or sombody using this computer or memory stick
    >>even, has drafted an email to OHCHR and it was left in the memory
    >>somewhere. Something kicked it into life and it was sent when the
    >>computer was switched on. Or the OHCHR is a front for a spy network
    >>and is reporting on the emails I am sending and something went wrong.
    >>Well those are my theories!
    >>
    >>-------
    >>
    >>Either your machine is infected (a virus checker can miss it) or someone
    >>has your email address in their Contacts, their machine is infected, it's
    >>sending out emails using your email address, and it's being retuned to you,
    >>when the address is invalid where the email was sent.- Hide quoted text -

    > Thankyou - As this was a one off, that must be the explanation.
    > Fred

    I have seen "message bounce" e-mails similar to this; it is yet
    another ploy to get one to respond, and if you do, *WATCH OUT* because
    you just opened the floodgates!
    Consider them as SPAM; they are forged.
    Robert Baer, Jan 30, 2008
  13. Fred

    Fred Guest

    On 30 Jan, 02:34, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    > > On 29 Jan, 00:53, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:

    > >>"Fred" <> wrote in message

    > >>The Original Author Replys
    > >>"... No such user "

    > >>The virus check yielded nothing.

    > >>I think the computer was writing to the Office for the High Commission
    > >>for Human Rights.

    > >>Something has upset it or sombody using this computer or memory stick
    > >>even, has drafted an email to OHCHR and it was left in the memory
    > >>somewhere. Something kicked it into life and it was sent when the
    > >>computer was switched on. Or the OHCHR is a front for a spy network
    > >>and is reporting on the emails I am sending and something went wrong.
    > >>Well those are my theories!

    > >>-------

    > >>Either your machine is infected (a virus checker  can miss it) or someone
    > >>has your email address in their Contacts, their machine  is infected, it's
    > >>sending out emails using your email address, and it's being retuned to you,
    > >>when the address is invalid where the email was sent.- Hide quoted text -

    > > Thankyou - As this was a one off, that must be the explanation.
    > > Fred

    >    I have seen "message bounce" e-mails similar to this; it is yet
    > another ploy to get one to respond, and if you do, *WATCH OUT* because
    > you just opened the floodgates!
    >    Consider them as SPAM; they are forged.- Hide quoted text -

    Here is the rest of the message. Ironmail is part of secure
    computing. http://www.securecomputing.com/

    Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:42:58 +0100
    To: <>
    Subject: January 76% OFF
    From: <>
    SHA:<18>
    UHA:<6>
    ISC:<0>
    BAYES:<23>
    SenderID:<0>
    DKIM:<0>
    TS:<160>
    SIG:<dOIzxSN1Ahhpo0WoWooLZD8P9l3Jgi9dHyVuxmbqhZVd5SYyo7wYQMTKPxyi
    dgttmSLkv4h7iBuwU1wOYyKRmb69DxprXKdwFxRk-LTLajyWgp9om5hTqPzG
    elm7yoLtybblT-yPf3CtKcJ3HHtJ5iOr9vDoI92Nr51U2t5oP8-4rHKYdr1n
    gaaR6sjvq9FTPURkJnXios2XkAeaB7BEuPXECffNWvZw7vJlA>
    TRU_marketing_spam: <1>
    TRU_misc_spam: <0>
    TRU_urllinks: <0>
    TRU_freehosting: <0>
    TRU_money_spam: <0>
    TRU_profanity_spam: <0>
    TRU_adult_spam: <0>
    TRU_legal_spam: <0>
    TRU_html_image_spam: <0>
    TRU_phish_spam: <0>
    TRU_watch_spam: <0>
    TRU_embedded_image_spam: <0>
    TRU_lotto_spam: <0>
    TRU_stock_spam: <0>
    URL Real-Time Signatures: <100>
    TRU_medical_spam: <0>
    TRU_scam_spam: <0>

    Anybody like to explain this?

    Fred
    Fred, Jan 31, 2008
  14. Fred

    Paul Guest

    Fred wrote:

    > Here is the rest of the message. Ironmail is part of secure
    > computing. http://www.securecomputing.com/
    >
    > Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:42:58 +0100
    > To: <>
    > Subject: January 76% OFF
    > From: <>
    > SHA:<18>
    > UHA:<6>
    > ISC:<0>
    > BAYES:<23>
    > SenderID:<0>
    > DKIM:<0>
    > TS:<160>
    > SIG:<dOIzxSN1Ahhpo0WoWooLZD8P9l3Jgi9dHyVuxmbqhZVd5SYyo7wYQMTKPxyi
    > dgttmSLkv4h7iBuwU1wOYyKRmb69DxprXKdwFxRk-LTLajyWgp9om5hTqPzG
    > elm7yoLtybblT-yPf3CtKcJ3HHtJ5iOr9vDoI92Nr51U2t5oP8-4rHKYdr1n
    > gaaR6sjvq9FTPURkJnXios2XkAeaB7BEuPXECffNWvZw7vJlA>
    > TRU_marketing_spam: <1>
    > TRU_misc_spam: <0>
    > TRU_urllinks: <0>
    > TRU_freehosting: <0>
    > TRU_money_spam: <0>
    > TRU_profanity_spam: <0>
    > TRU_adult_spam: <0>
    > TRU_legal_spam: <0>
    > TRU_html_image_spam: <0>
    > TRU_phish_spam: <0>
    > TRU_watch_spam: <0>
    > TRU_embedded_image_spam: <0>
    > TRU_lotto_spam: <0>
    > TRU_stock_spam: <0>
    > URL Real-Time Signatures: <100>
    > TRU_medical_spam: <0>
    > TRU_scam_spam: <0>
    >
    > Anybody like to explain this?
    >
    > Fred

    The mail server appears to be equipped with a spam filter. One
    of the techniques used, is mentioned here. Undoubtedly many
    techniques are needed, to make the spam filter effective,
    as the perpetrators probably have copies of that software
    they can test themselves. Only constant tuning of such a tool,
    keeps it effective.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_spam_filtering

    Just a guess,
    Paul
    Paul, Feb 1, 2008
  15. Fred

    roadriderob Guest

    On Jan 31, 7:18 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >
    > > Here is the rest of the message. Ironmail is part of secure
    > > computing. http://www.securecomputing.com/

    > > Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:42:58 +0100
    > > To: <>
    > > Subject: January 76% OFF
    > > From: <>
    > > SHA:<18>
    > > UHA:<6>
    > > ISC:<0>
    > > BAYES:<23>
    > > SenderID:<0>
    > > DKIM:<0>
    > > TS:<160>
    > > SIG:<dOIzxSN1Ahhpo0WoWooLZD8P9l3Jgi9dHyVuxmbqhZVd5SYyo7wYQMTKPxyi
    > > dgttmSLkv4h7iBuwU1wOYyKRmb69DxprXKdwFxRk-LTLajyWgp9om5hTqPzG
    > > elm7yoLtybblT-yPf3CtKcJ3HHtJ5iOr9vDoI92Nr51U2t5oP8-4rHKYdr1n
    > > gaaR6sjvq9FTPURkJnXios2XkAeaB7BEuPXECffNWvZw7vJlA>
    > > TRU_marketing_spam: <1>
    > > TRU_misc_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_urllinks: <0>
    > > TRU_freehosting: <0>
    > > TRU_money_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_profanity_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_adult_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_legal_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_html_image_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_phish_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_watch_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_embedded_image_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_lotto_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_stock_spam: <0>
    > > URL Real-Time Signatures: <100>
    > > TRU_medical_spam: <0>
    > > TRU_scam_spam: <0>

    > > Anybody like to explain this?

    > > Fred

    > The mail server appears to be equipped with a spam filter. One
    > of the techniques used, is mentioned here. Undoubtedly many
    > techniques are needed, to make the spam filter effective,
    > as the perpetrators probably have copies of that software
    > they can test themselves. Only constant tuning of such a tool,
    > keeps it effective.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_spam_filtering
    >
    > Just a guess,
    > Paul

    To the OP (or anyone running Windows) I'd scan for a virus, spyware,
    trogen , rootkit etc... if it was a one time thing and you like to
    live on the edge ignore it !
    roadriderob, Feb 1, 2008