Why is my 10d photo green?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PTRAVEL, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    Cyan, actually.

    Something odd is happening. I shot some pictures in RAW format. They
    previewed correctly on the camera, and when viewed using either Canon's
    ZoomBrowser utility, or Breeze Browser, they appear correct. When converted
    to a TIFF by either program, however, the shots display a strong cyan cast,
    but only when viewed in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (note: I'm not using
    the RAW plugin to convert these -- they were converted either by
    BreezeBrowser or Canon's own ZoomBrowser).

    Even odder, if I open the converted TIFF in Paintshop Pro (Jasc's image
    manipulation software) the image appears correct -- no cyan cast. I even
    tried re-saving the image from Jasc, both as a TIFF, a BMP and a JPEG
    (maximum quality). The JPEG has an extreme posterized appearance when
    viewed with any program. The BMP and JPEG look fine in Paintshop Pro but,
    again, when opened in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, displays the same
    cyan cast.

    Any idea what's happening, here?

    PTRAVEL, Oct 13, 2003

  2. According to PTRAVEL <>:
    > Something odd is happening. I shot some pictures in RAW format. They
    > previewed correctly on the camera, and when viewed using either
    > Canon's ZoomBrowser utility, or Breeze Browser, they appear correct.
    > When converted to a TIFF by either program, however, the shots
    > display a strong cyan cast, but only when viewed in Photoshop or
    > Photoshop Elements (note: I'm not using the RAW plugin to convert
    > these -- they were converted either by BreezeBrowser or Canon's own
    > ZoomBrowser).

    If you will upload an image to webspace somewhere and post a url, we could
    take a closer look. (Post the raw file itself)

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Oct 13, 2003

  3. PTRAVEL

    Robertwgross Guest

    PTRAVEL wrote:
    >Cyan, actually.
    >
    >Something odd is happening. I shot some pictures in RAW format. They
    >previewed correctly on the camera, and when viewed using either Canon's
    >ZoomBrowser utility, or Breeze Browser, they appear correct. When converted
    >to a TIFF by either program, however, the shots display a strong cyan cast,
    >but only when viewed in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (note: I'm not using
    >the RAW plugin to convert these -- they were converted either by
    >BreezeBrowser or Canon's own ZoomBrowser).
    >
    >Even odder, if I open the converted TIFF in Paintshop Pro (Jasc's image
    >manipulation software) the image appears correct -- no cyan cast. I even
    >tried re-saving the image from Jasc, both as a TIFF, a BMP and a JPEG
    >(maximum quality). The JPEG has an extreme posterized appearance when
    >viewed with any program. The BMP and JPEG look fine in Paintshop Pro but,
    >again, when opened in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, displays the same
    >cyan cast.
    >
    >Any idea what's happening, here?

    First of all, was the original image shot in daylight, shadow, or something
    that has a color cast to it, like tungsten light or fluorescent light?
    Secondly, what was the white balance setting in the 10D camera? If your answer
    is "Auto" then you are leaving a lot up to chance. Thirdly, is your computer
    system color calibrated? Are you viewing color files that are 48-bits, 24-bits,
    or JPEG?

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 13, 2003
  4. PTRAVEL

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "PTRAVEL"

    >I shot some pictures in RAW format. They
    >previewed correctly on the camera, and when viewed using either Canon's
    >ZoomBrowser utility, or Breeze Browser, they appear correct. When converted
    >to a TIFF by either program, however, the shots display a strong cyan cast,
    >but only when viewed in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
    >
    >Even odder, if I open the converted TIFF in Paintshop Pro (Jasc's image
    >manipulation software) the image appears correct -- no cyan cast.
    >
    >Any idea what's happening, here?

    Most likely because Photoshop relies on ICM color management and you have a bad
    profile somewhere in the flow, probably the monitor profile. See if you have a
    monitor ICM profile ... Photoshop will use this, PSP might not (depending on
    how it's set up), and if it's wrong you will get a color cast.

    The ICM flow works great when all the profiles are correct but can cause severe
    problems when a profile is wrong.

    If you want help in tracking down the monitor profile let us know what OS
    you're using and what version of Photoshop.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 13, 2003
  5. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Ethan Trewhitt" <> wrote in message
    > According to PTRAVEL <>:
    > > Something odd is happening. I shot some pictures in RAW format. They
    > > previewed correctly on the camera, and when viewed using either
    > > Canon's ZoomBrowser utility, or Breeze Browser, they appear correct.
    > > When converted to a TIFF by either program, however, the shots
    > > display a strong cyan cast, but only when viewed in Photoshop or
    > > Photoshop Elements (note: I'm not using the RAW plugin to convert
    > > these -- they were converted either by BreezeBrowser or Canon's own
    > > ZoomBrowser).

    > If you will upload an image to webspace somewhere and post a url, we could
    > take a closer look. (Post the raw file itself)

    I'll try to do that when I get home.

    PTRAVEL, Oct 13, 2003
  6. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Robertwgross" <> wrote in message
    > PTRAVEL wrote:
    > >Cyan, actually.
    > >
    > >Something odd is happening. I shot some pictures in RAW format. They
    > >previewed correctly on the camera, and when viewed using either Canon's
    > >ZoomBrowser utility, or Breeze Browser, they appear correct. When

    converted
    > >to a TIFF by either program, however, the shots display a strong cyan

    cast,
    > >but only when viewed in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (note: I'm not

    using
    > >the RAW plugin to convert these -- they were converted either by
    > >BreezeBrowser or Canon's own ZoomBrowser).
    > >
    > >Even odder, if I open the converted TIFF in Paintshop Pro (Jasc's image
    > >manipulation software) the image appears correct -- no cyan cast. I even
    > >tried re-saving the image from Jasc, both as a TIFF, a BMP and a JPEG
    > >(maximum quality). The JPEG has an extreme posterized appearance when
    > >viewed with any program. The BMP and JPEG look fine in Paintshop Pro

    but,
    > >again, when opened in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, displays the same
    > >cyan cast.
    > >
    > >Any idea what's happening, here?

    > First of all, was the original image shot in daylight, shadow, or

    something
    > that has a color cast to it, like tungsten light or fluorescent light?

    Nope, it was a daylight shot, no shadows. The shot looks fine in
    ZoomBrowser, BreezeBrowser (both of which, I assume, are looking at the
    attached JPEG) and opens fine in Paintshop Pro (which is reading the actual
    converted TIFF).

    > Secondly, what was the white balance setting in the 10D camera? If your

    answer
    > is "Auto" then you are leaving a lot up to chance.

    It was auto, but that doesn't explain the discrepancy between how Photoshop
    (and Elements) displays the image and how it is displayed in Paintshop Pro,
    ZoomBrowser and BreezeBrowser. There's nothing wrong with white balance
    applied by the camera -- there is, however, something peculiar about the
    resulting file.

    >Thirdly, is your computer
    > system color calibrated?

    Yes.

    > Are you viewing color files that are 48-bits, 24-bits,
    > or JPEG?

    Paintshop Pro, Photoshop and Elements are all viewing the converted TIFF at
    48-bits. ZoomBrower and BreezeBrowser are looking at the attached JPEG.
    After conversion, ZoomBrowser and BreezeBrowser are looking at the 48-bit
    TIFF.

    PTRAVEL, Oct 13, 2003
  7. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >From: "PTRAVEL"

    > >I shot some pictures in RAW format. They
    > >previewed correctly on the camera, and when viewed using either Canon's
    > >ZoomBrowser utility, or Breeze Browser, they appear correct. When

    converted
    > >to a TIFF by either program, however, the shots display a strong cyan

    cast,
    > >but only when viewed in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
    > >
    > >Even odder, if I open the converted TIFF in Paintshop Pro (Jasc's image
    > >manipulation software) the image appears correct -- no cyan cast.
    > >
    > >Any idea what's happening, here?

    > Most likely because Photoshop relies on ICM color management and you have

    a bad
    > profile somewhere in the flow, probably the monitor profile. See if you

    have a
    > monitor ICM profile ... Photoshop will use this, PSP might not (depending

    on
    > how it's set up), and if it's wrong you will get a color cast.

    Ah, that makes sense. I use a monitor profile created by my Colorvision
    software. I'll try re-calibrating the monitor tonight.

    > The ICM flow works great when all the profiles are correct but can cause

    severe
    > problems when a profile is wrong.
    >
    > If you want help in tracking down the monitor profile let us know what OS
    > you're using and what version of Photoshop.

    It's Win2000 SP4, Photoshop 7.0 (and Elements 2.0).

    Thanks!

    PTRAVEL, Oct 13, 2003
  8. PTRAVEL

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> Most likely because Photoshop relies on ICM color management and you
    >> have a bad profile somewhere in the flow, probably the monitor profile.

    >From: "PTRAVEL"
    >
    > I use a monitor profile created by my Colorvision
    >software. I'll try re-calibrating the monitor tonight.

    I use the Colorvision Sypder too and get pretty good results with it. One
    thing to watch for, if you've ever run Adobe Gamma utility it creates a profile
    too and also a gamma loader.exe file that loads the profile values into the
    video card when you turn on the computer. You're supposed to delete the gamma
    loader (from the Start file) if you generate a Sypder profile too, else both
    profiles get written to the video card LUT, with very bad results.

    I noticed that if you have Photoshop loaded and have the gamma loader deleted,
    then load Elements it looks like Elements re-creates the gamma loader, so you
    have to delete it again. Check to see if somehow this has happened?

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 13, 2003
  9. PTRAVEL

    > >> Most likely because Photoshop relies on ICM color management and you
    > >> have a bad profile somewhere in the flow, probably the monitor profile.

    > >From: "PTRAVEL"
    > >
    > > I use a monitor profile created by my Colorvision
    > >software. I'll try re-calibrating the monitor tonight.

    > I use the Colorvision Sypder too and get pretty good results with it. One
    > thing to watch for, if you've ever run Adobe Gamma utility it creates a

    profile
    > too and also a gamma loader.exe file that loads the profile values into

    the
    > video card when you turn on the computer. You're supposed to delete the

    gamma
    > loader (from the Start file) if you generate a Sypder profile too, else

    both
    > profiles get written to the video card LUT, with very bad results.
    >
    > I noticed that if you have Photoshop loaded and have the gamma loader

    deleted,
    > then load Elements it looks like Elements re-creates the gamma loader, so

    you
    > have to delete it again. Check to see if somehow this has happened?

    Another good idea! I'll check to make sure it didn't somehow get reloaded.

    Thanks!

    PTRAVEL, Oct 13, 2003
  10. PTRAVEL

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <bmeplo$igmme$-berlin.de>,
    PTRAVEL <> wrote:

    >It was auto, but that doesn't explain the discrepancy between how Photoshop
    >(and Elements) displays the image and how it is displayed in Paintshop Pro,
    >ZoomBrowser and BreezeBrowser.

    Could it be down to colourspace awareness?

    --
    /* _ */main(int k,char**n){char*i=k&1?"+L*;99,RU[,RUo+BeKAA+BECACJ+CAACA"
    /* / ` */"CD+LBCACJ*":1[n],j,l=!k,m;do for(m=*i-48,j=l?m/k:m%k;m>>7?k=1<<m+

    Chris Brown, Oct 13, 2003
  11. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <bmeplo$igmme$-berlin.de>,
    > PTRAVEL <> wrote:
    > >
    > >It was auto, but that doesn't explain the discrepancy between how

    Photoshop
    > >(and Elements) displays the image and how it is displayed in Paintshop

    Pro,
    > >ZoomBrowser and BreezeBrowser.

    > Could it be down to colourspace awareness?

    Yes, though I think Bill Hilton hit is on the nose -- probably in the
    process of installing Photoshop-related software, something re-initialized
    the Adobe Gamma loader, which conflicts with the Colorvision monitor profile
    that I installed. I'll have to look at it tonight, when I get home from
    work.

    PTRAVEL, Oct 13, 2003
  12. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    Okay, found the problem --

    Colorvision requires that color management be disabled (it runs its own
    color manager). Somehow, color management was re-enabled in both Elements
    and Photoshop. I disabled it, and both now display the photo correctly.

    PTRAVEL, Oct 14, 2003