Why is Mozilla doing this ... and how to fix it

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Joe S., Jun 2, 2005.

  1. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    Last night, Mozilla started acting strange. All other applications on my
    computer are acting fine, including Outlook Express and Internet Explorer,
    only Mozilla is acting strange.

    I have Mozilla set to open to the Washington Post as default home page.
    When I open Mozilla, it opens the WPost without a hitch. However, when I
    try to go to any of my favorites, here is what happens:

    -- Open Bookmarks list and click on a bookmark
    -- In the bottom left corner of the screen I see the message "Looking for
    whatever.com"
    -- Nothing happens, then, after about a minute a box appears that says
    "Unable to open whatever.com, please check the address and try again."
    -- This happens no matter what I try to open. The only URL that will open
    is the default URL.

    I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks.

    --

    -----
    Joe S.

    Joe S., Jun 2, 2005

  2. Joe S.

    Doug G Guest

    Joe S. wrote:
    > Last night, Mozilla started acting strange. All other applications on my
    > computer are acting fine, including Outlook Express and Internet Explorer,
    > only Mozilla is acting strange.
    >
    > I have Mozilla set to open to the Washington Post as default home page.
    > When I open Mozilla, it opens the WPost without a hitch. However, when I
    > try to go to any of my favorites, here is what happens:
    >
    > -- Open Bookmarks list and click on a bookmark
    > -- In the bottom left corner of the screen I see the message "Looking for
    > whatever.com"
    > -- Nothing happens, then, after about a minute a box appears that says
    > "Unable to open whatever.com, please check the address and try again."
    > -- This happens no matter what I try to open. The only URL that will open
    > is the default URL.
    >
    > I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks.

    What is your O/S and version of Mozilla?

    Doug G, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    WinXP Home Edition with SP1. Firefox 1.0.3

    --

    -----

    Joe S., Jun 3, 2005
  4. Joe S.

    Moz Champion Guest

    Joe S. wrote:
    > WinXP Home Edition with SP1. Firefox 1.0.3

    By placing your reply AND signature above previous messages you have
    edited them completely out.

    Not a bad system (at least its modern). Nice browser (tho I recommend
    going to 1.0.4)

    What was the question again?
    The question may be familiar to you (it is after all your problem) but
    it isnt to others
    By editing out all the thread, you force anyone to re-read the entire
    thread (and sub threads) just to comprehend the problem and see whats
    been suggestted or tried before. You may have the time to re-read the
    entire thread for EVERY subject in here, I dont. I was willing to
    donate some of my time to assist you with your problem, but since I now
    have to re-read the entire thread again, I dont have any more time to
    help you!

    Try replying below the previous messages (such as I have done) without
    editing them.

    Later Alligator

    Moz Champion, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Joe S.

    Splibbilla Guest

    "Joe S." <> in news::

    > I have Mozilla set to open to the Washington Post as default home
    > page. When I open Mozilla, it opens the WPost without a hitch.
    > However, when I try to go to any of my favorites, here is what
    > happens:
    >
    > -- Open Bookmarks list and click on a bookmark
    > -- In the bottom left corner of the screen I see the message "Looking
    > for whatever.com"
    > -- Nothing happens, then, after about a minute a box appears that says
    >"Unable to open whatever.com, please check the address and try again."
    > -- This happens no matter what I try to open. The only URL that will
    > open is the default URL.

    maybe your home page (w post) is in your cache? is the news on the page renewed?

    and maybe your browser is set to "work offline".

    somehow moz and ff keep gettign reset to work offline (in file menu) when my computer crashes.

    --
    All Gecko/1.7.8: 20050511, Mozilla1.7.20050.51112, Firefox1.0.4 Trying: Rip, infoRSS
    1 WinXP + FF + GoogleBar(XPI-rimental), Sage, PrefBar, Tabmix, Tabbrowser Preferences, IEView, &?

    Splibbilla, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Joe S.

    The One Guest

    > I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.

    If it works fine then why bother with FF?

    The One, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Joe S.

    Colyn Guest

    Colyn, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Joe S.

    Moz Champion Guest

    Colyn wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:19:16 +0100, "The One" <> wrote:
    >

    >>>I tried Internet Explorer and it works fine.

    >>If it works fine then why bother with FF?
    >>

    > Because FF is a far better browser than IE..
    >

    > --
    > Colyn Goodson
    >
    > http://home.swbell.net/colyng
    > http://www.colyngoodson.com

    Another reason is that IE is subject to many security exploits that
    Firefox is not.
    You want to be unsafe? Sure, use IE.

    Yet another reason is that IE doesnt follow standards, but uses its own
    parameters that encourage bad coding.
    If you want to encourage Microsofts 'ownership' of the internet, then
    use IE.

    Moz Champion, Jun 7, 2005