Why is logon required without password?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Athena, Sep 11, 2008.

  1. Athena

    Athena Guest

    Hello,

    I have three computers on my home network:

    One of them is acting as server (Dell-420) XP-Home desktop i.e. the
    wireless router is connected to this one.
    Second one is a computer Dell -1720 Vista, laptop
    Third one is Dell-690 XP-Pro desktop. This one is connected to server
    via wire.

    All the computers have one user and no password logon and only Dell-1720
    Vista requires password to logon.

    Here is the problem:

    Dell-690 Vista sees Dell-1720 no problem.
    Dell-420 XP-Home sees Dell-1720 no problem
    Dell 690 XP-Pro sees Dell-420 no problem
    Dell-1720 Vista cannot connect Dell-690 XP-Pro, requests logon
    Dell-420 XP-Home cannot connect Dell-690 XP-Pro, requests logon

    Why both Dell-1720 Vista and Dell 420 XP-Home cannot connect Dell-690
    XP-Pro needing to logon? I have only one user XXX YYYY as user without
    password on Dell-690 XP Pro. When I type XXX YYYY as the username and no
    password to logon, both computers cannot logon to Dell-690 XP-Pro?

    Thank you,

    Athena

    Athena, Sep 11, 2008

  2. Hi
    I assume that you are referring to "logon" for file sharing.
    File and printer sharing has nothing to do with Wire or Wireless. As long as
    the computers are connected to the same Wireless Router and configured as
    one Network the Sharing depends on the configuration of each individual
    computer.
    Maybe this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 11, 2008

  3. Athena

    AJR Guest

    In addition to Jack's advice - suggest you modify the network by connecting
    the Dell-690 to the router via wire or wireless.

    AJR, Sep 11, 2008