Why is Linksys WRT56G so popular?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by professorguy, Jan 23, 2007.

1. professorguy

professorguy

I just installed my first Linksys WRT56G. This little box is probably the world's most popular wireless router.

And now I know why. We got one to shoot internet access into a conference room. I plugged directly into the ISP demarcation switch which was upstream of our firewall (that is, straight to the internet bypassing our network). This way if a salesman needs internet access, we can provide it without worrying what nasties he might release onto our network.

It was a dream to set up and configure. I had a whole morning blocked out to experiment and test, but in under an hour I was ready to go. I even throttled the bandwidth (no sense giving a salesman bandwidth at the expense of medical staff). I cranked the bandwidth down to the minimum configurable: 1Mbps. Testing revealed that downloads peaked at about 700-800 kbps. Uploads, however, were unthrottled, but in normal usage uploading is not usually a bandwidth issue.

Then I put it not in a place that would be best for signal, but one that was best for wiring (and worst for signal). Not only did it cover the conference room, it covered the entire 8000 sq. ft. building (with steel studs)! Right out to the far corners. What a champ!

Then I decided to mount it permanently and accidentally dropped it more than 7 feet onto concrete. The case snapped open with a sickening crack, but when snapped back together, it was still running and covering the building perfectly! What a great product.

Do yourself a favor. If you're looking for a wireless router, get the WRT56G.

[I have no affiliation with Linksys or Cisco, other than being a CCNA & CCAI.]

professorguy, Jan 23, 2007
    1. Advertising